Disney Animation Art Returns from Japan

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Disney Animation Art Returns from Japan

Post by sensei »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/arts/ ... =permalink

Interesting article that will make some of us think about the ultimate futures of our collections. In essence, Disney put together a touring exhibition of amazingly beautiful pieces of animation art, mostly from Sleeping Beauty but also including complete set-ups (cels + original backgrounds) going back to Disney's first landmark productions. This was sent to Japan in 1960 to promote a release of Sleeping Beauty, and was exhibited at a number of department stores. Then, the article continues,
After the department store tour, Disney donated the artwork to the National Museum of Modern Art in Tokyo. But the material was not considered a good fit for its permanent collection, so the museum gave the pieces to Chiba University to enhance the study of the visual arts.

Chiba’s academic focus was on science, engineering and medicine, however, and the Disney art was consigned to a janitor’s closet and forgotten until it was found by chance four years ago. Although the artwork suffered some damage because of dampness, the rarest pieces were sealed in frames, which protected them somewhat.
Now, of course, the art is recognized as both commercially valuable and historically important; yet after being restored and taken on yet another tour of Japan, the whole collection is being returned to the Disney Studios because the owner, Chiba University, is concerned about its ability to maintain them for the next generation.

Hmmmm ... I have wondered what will happen to my own collection after it passes from me. It's true that it's somewhat unstable, and that trace lines have a way of fading and paint cracking or bleeding. I've thought about making an archive or museum its final destination -- but don't like the idea of it getting passed around as an ugly stepsister to a "real" contemporary art collection, and ultimately being allowed to mold and fade in a cellar closet somewhere. Does anyone else have this reaction?
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I would quite expect that my son will take good care of my artwork after my wife & I are gone for he does understand it's value and appreciates the work that went into it but I would not be surprised if a portion of it finds its way into the open market and into the hands of other collectors with a select portion kept by him.

It really depends on his financial outlook at that time.

We live in the now , enjoying our collection while we are here.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

Chiba University kept hundreds of original Disneys with the master backgrounds in a damp janitor's closet for decades? That should almost be criminal... :x
iwakuralain16

Post by iwakuralain16 »

Killua wrote:Chiba University kept hundreds of original Disneys with the master backgrounds in a damp janitor's closet for decades? That should almost be criminal... :x
agreed! /sob

My boyfriend told me if I passed away he would sell it all. :-/ So i told him when I make my living will, I am putting who I want to have what and some that will be collectors and have nothing to do with my family. LOL I have a large enough insurance policy on me to where they should not have to sell my freakin artwork to pay for my burial and etc.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

You'd think they would be able to find some museum who would display all that.

when I die... I guess all my cels will be stored in a damp janitor's closet...... hmm...
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

I hope to pass my collection on to someone who will appreciate it before I die, then I don't have to worry about it being unloved when I pass away.

Maybe someone should just create a museum of animation art so that we have a place to bequeath our collections when we pass.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

this is the saddest thing ever... i am also shocked that non of the janitors stole the artwork to sell on YJ. i cant imagine janitor closets have very good security. :P
majinuub

Post by majinuub »

I was in complete shock as I read that. To think Disney art, especially those gorgeous Sleeping Beauty cels, were kept in a simple janitor's closet for all those years. That's just /omg.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Honestly, would the janitors know that it was valueable production art? That question is not meant to knock janitors or anything. I personally did not know what a cel was until I saw one up on Ebay. I mean, I knew that animation was drawn and painted, but I had never put much thought into the process before I saw an actual cel up for auction.

I envision a scenario where the folders of priceless animation art just keep getting shoved further back into the cabinet because no one knows what they are, and thus no one wants to be the one to throw them away. Believe me, it's not far-fetched--I work in a uni. :P