Myanimelist and Anime Planet

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

MAL posted a little while ago that there was DNS issue, but now the site is up and running again. Which is good cause I need to update my list some. :)
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Anime-Planet is back.

No more Friends or comments, and the interface isn't as easy as it used to be. I'm hoping it continues to improve back to what it was before. Maybe those things are still in the works, who knows.

But as it is now, I don't like it much.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Well, they are still changing things. :? I noticed how my sig in this thread was way out of date with my actual anime viewing. But then, I went to anime-planet and saw they now have the hours, days and months functioning again. It shows that I'm over the 3 month mark now. :woot: It only took 13 years of being an avid anime fan to get there. :P

I do like MAL a lot better though. :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

So how is Anime Planet counting time watched in comparison to your MAL site?

Is the time watched higher at Anime Planet? Why is that?
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

" " is due to reductionism.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I think it's what you pointed out earlier. It's that they don't have the same anime listed in their databases. I'm not sure which anime are pushing me over the edge on AP since MAL says I'm at 83 days. I don't calculate rewatches so I'm not really sure. :shrug

I'm too lazy to cross reference the two sites to figure it out. :nuts It's close enough for me. :wink:
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

I hit a little bit of a "milestone". On Anime-Planet, it says I've completed 180 series and 3,500 episodes!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/mizducky

(Of course, MAL shows more - 207 series completed, but that's just because I can list the p0rn and yaoi that I've watched.)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

miz ducky wrote:I hit a little bit of a "milestone". On Anime-Planet, it says I've completed 180 series and 3,500 episodes!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/mizducky

(Of course, MAL shows more - 207 series completed, but that's just because I can list the p0rn and yaoi that I've watched.)
Hmm...so that means there's 27 p0rn and yaoi on the list then? :D

Congratulations on your 3,500. :yay

I never got around to adding more titles to my Anime Planet account. :(

Gee...one of these years I might show up on the Dropped Manga Series list. :? It's not as if I'm trying to make the list or anything. I'm just reading different things to see if they're interesting or not. :roll:
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Congrats, ducky! 8)

Last week I hit 5,000 episodes on anime planet. My numbers are a bit off between the two sites too. I am starting to work with it to figure out what's different.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Today for fun I checked out some MAL members to see how many new anime title listings they've accumulated since July 15th 2008 - (These numbers are "Total Anime Title Entries" minus "Plan to Watch Titles" since a number of people list hundreds of anime that they plan to watch):

1. One person's list went from 2,038 listings on July 15th to 2,437 listings today. That means they've accumulated 399 entires since the last list and they've added 3.50 entires a day during the 114 day period.

2. One person's list grew from 1,422 listings to 1,818 listings. That's new 396 entires and 3.47 new entries per day.

3. The third person went from 1,305 listings to 1,534 listings. That's 229 new entires at 2.01 new entires per day.

4. One guy went from 2,013 listings to 1,435 listings today. So he lost 578 entires for some odd reason.

The above four people joined MAL on July 27 2007, Oct 5 2007, Sept 3 2007 and July 26 2007 so they're not recent members. Some people spend all day watching anime apparently. One wonders when they have time to eat, sleep and bathe. :shrug
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Maybe they don't . . . or they bathe with a TV in the bathroom. :P I know I often eat while watching something. :emb Though how you could pull the sleeping part off (and still count the episodes as "watched") is beyond me . . .

There's one thing I've discovered about MAL that I dislike. Well, three, actually.

They don't really take into account long shounen series with filler arcs. I know I'm not the only one out there who skips filler arcs. So, when Bleach finally ends and I've seen all that I want to, will I have to move it to the "dropped" section? Or will it forever be in the "watching" section? There's no way I'm every going to watch the Bount arcs. No offense to people who enjoyed those arcs, but I'm planning on edited those dang stuffed animals out of the normal episodes. :P

Also, I don't like how they try to estimate how long you've spent reading manga. I mean, people read at different paces. Anime episodes are 24 minutes long (of course, most people skip the opening and ending, so even there you've got some guess work) so you can make a good guess at how much of your life you've spent in front of the tv/computer watching it, but manga's not the same.

I also hate how they have some doujinshi listed in the manga section. I mean, seriously. :x I think that's going a little too far. :P
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, it's harder keeping track of episodes when you've watched them in non-consecutive order. Back when I used Direct Connect, I would frequently skip anime episodes. So even when I've only seen episodes 3,5,9 and 11 of a twelve episode series (had to be sure I didn't feel like collecting from the series before the decent artwork from the series ran out)....I still have to list them as "4 of 12" at MAL.

Did you see that Anime News Network story about a week ago about their listings being user anime compatible searchable now? Too bad MAL has their compatibility search permanently disabled. I would like to be able to use that feature at least once. :(

Looks like "dbaranyi" who I used to follow all the time at the start of every new anime season at rec.arts.anime.misc back when I watched anime on VHS tape has just posted his list on MAL. Cool. :yay I need more users to drop anime so that I can be pushed off that "Top 10 Users with Dropped Anime Series". :)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

klet wrote:I also hate how they have some doujinshi listed in the manga section. I mean, seriously. :x I think that's going a little too far. :P
That's funny. I just mark whatever they have that I've read, want to read, etc. I marked a couple of those and all of a sudden I'm in a "save the doujinshi" club. I don't really care if they're there or not. I feel bad leaving the club although there's no reason for me to be there anyway. Eh, maybe I'll quit it this weekend.

I agree with the amount of time reading. Everyone reads at different paces, which is exactly why I hate watching subbed anime with friends. It seems everyone reads faster than me. :roll: Ah but it's okay. I have dyslexia so I'm used to it. :wink:
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

Well I got curious as to how much of my life I've wasted in front of a screen watching anime or reading manga, so I joined. :D

http://myanimelist.net/profile/AnimatedWriter

Someday I'll be more active in that forum... maybe around the time I get active here again too. :P
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yay! Another MAL member! \o/ :yay

:wave: :wave: