Myanimelist and Anime Planet

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Myanimelist and Anime Planet

Post by Keropi »

Does anyone here use Myanimelist.net?

Is it helpful and easy to use?
Last edited by Keropi on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I signed up, but unfortunately I have to add anime titles by typing words into the search bar each time. :(

At least I can add several titles at the same time when they pop up from using that search word. But I have to use Anime News Network Encyclopedia as a reference for the words I use in that search bar.

Kind of funny seeing the Kakyuusei TV series picture I uploaded at ANN being used at Myanimelist.net too. I didn't have the colors adjusted properly when I scanned the photo off my R2 DVD plastic case. The colors are too bright and the red came out shades too dark. :D
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

I've never checked out that site before, but I like www.anime-planet.com
Are you on there?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

miz ducky wrote:Are you on there?
On where? Anime-planet or Myanimelist?

I'm not signed up on Anime-planet and I've only gone through the # anime titles in the first section of Anime News Network Encyclopedia. I think I only added the # to F category titles for my ANN Encyclopedia list. I stopped after that. That list is too cumbersome for my taste.

Maybe someday I can finish the list at Myanimelist. Is Anime-planet better for making lists? I'm kind of curious as to the number of episodes that I've watched.
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

myanimelist is a great site, very easy to use and has a wealth of anime. Adding all the titles and ranking takes time but its worth it. It has tons of features such as "how many days worth of anime you have seen..." and how it shows a compatibility % (nope not a dating service lol) of other individuals myanimelist you visit to know if you found a person with similar likes and such.

this is mine, http://myanimelist.net/profile/EternityOfPain
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

So anime compatibility is based on ratings given to shows that were watched by both people? That's interesting.

I was curious as to how many thousands of episodes the top people have seen. I clicked on one of their lists, but their list was so long that my screen locked up and it wouldn't finish loading. :^^:

You don't like dropping shows once you start do you? :D

I'm going to have a hell of a lot of those. I rarely finish watching TV series. :sweatdrop
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mizducky

I'm not digging the interface.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/mizducky

I like Anime Planet's interface for selecting shows.
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

Keropi wrote:So anime compatibility is based on ratings given to shows that were watched by both people? That's interesting.

I was curious as to how many thousands of episodes the top people have seen. I clicked on one of their lists, but their list was so long that my screen locked up and it wouldn't finish loading. :^^:

You don't like dropping shows once you start do you? :D

I'm going to have a hell of a lot of those. I rarely finish watching TV series. :sweatdrop
Yup, thats how the % compatibilities are done pretty cool feature. There are some who have seen years worth of anime, now thats dedication heh. As far as dropping anime.. I tend to really hate it... Often times I have realized an anime could be slow at start but pick up later on in the series.

I do know a few people who have dropped alot of shows as well, its really a personal preference. When you do have everything up (if you plan to make an account) ill make sure to look over the series you dropped and tell you which ones (yea like a czar) you should continue, :wink:
wuchild1
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by wuchild1 »

I think this website is awesome. Although I doubt it would be as good as the others (ann, animenfo, anime-planet) for reviews and info, its a cool way to catalog all my anime and see what similar people are watching.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

I've been watching True Tears, And After the 5th episode... I just can't stay awake to watch the rest.

Sometimes it's just physically impossible for me to finish an anime.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yesterday I went through ANN's Encyclopedia and added the # category titles I seen. Some adult titles are completely forgetable and so I can't remember if I ever seen them or not. Today I spent two hours adding titles that show up in the "A" category and some random titles:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Terence_T

I didn't add anything to the "Currently Watching" area because that data gets outdated immediately. Nearly everything is in the "Completed" and "Dropped" sections.

I noticed that ANN had "Aneki" and "Ashita no Yukinojou" in their database while Myanimelist did not. Neither of them lists "Ashita no Yukinojou 2nd OVA". :(

EDIT:

Looks like I'm going to have an abby-normal number of Dropped shows compared to most people. :emb
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

While myanimelist does not have that great of an interface (I prefer anime-planet's), their list of series is much more comprehensive, especially when it comes to pretty obscure stuff.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Okay! This is the second thread I've read this week talking about myanime list. 8O I'll go ahead and sign up too. I find it fun to do stuff like this but I do prefer anime-planet. I don't like the "how many times have you rewatched" question. I have no idea. I don't keep track of that. :nuts

Is everyone using their same usernames on both sites as here? We could all friend each other. :^^: I'm duotrouble on both. :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Sounds fine with me. :)

Yeah, it's kind of anoying to see anime not in the listing. It means I have to calculate based on what's not showing. :(

Does anyone know where the listing of the top listers is at? I stumbled across the link earlier, but I can't find it now. I'm curious to see how crazed some people are. :D