Myanimelist and Anime Planet

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Keropi wrote:I installed this MAL Firefox script today (Jan 15, 2010):

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=108565&show=0

I was checking out some anime to see samples of the genders of MAL users who gave anime top scores and this is how it came out. It very roughly shows gender interest in anime in comparison to each other percentagewise:

ONE ~True Stories--------------------92% Male
White Album 2nd season------------90% Male
Macross: DYRL-------------------------88% Male
Cross Game----------------------------83% Male
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun------------83% Male
Fairy Tail--------------------------------82% Male
Kiddy Grade-and----------------------76% Male
Suika------------------------------------73% Male
Juuni Kokuki----------------------------69% Male
Kanon 2006----------------------------68%Male

Book of Bantorra----------------------52% Female
Aoi Bungaku---------------------------56% Female
Kimi ni Todoke-------------------------59% Female
Letter Bee------------------------------71% Female
Kobato----------------------------------74% Female

I tried doing Death Note, Escaflowne, Darker than Black and Asura Cryin among others, but the script is not working for me now. I might have overloaded the server or something. The older shows usually never worked when I tried it on them.
Note that you've to take in consideration that almost 80% of anime collectors (including mangas) are male and maybe corrupt a bit the site statistics & ratings :wink:
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
keeper
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by keeper »

duotrouble wrote:YAY! Another convert! 8)

I use it almost every day just to remember which episode I need to dl next. X| But once I have a complete season and start watching it, I usually mark it complete because I know eventually I'll finish it.

Are you keeper there too?
Yes, I'm definitely converted - at first when I used to check out the website, I thought it looked pointless. Now it's where all my internet time is spent. (LOL) If they didn't let all the members edit and update pages, I probably wouldn't use it as much, though. I totally love updating everything (check out Tokyo Majin and you'll see how gun-ho I get :D ).

I only rent or buy anime (or watch on TV sometimes, though I dislike dubs) so I don't update my own list too often. I also don't read manga unless an anime inspires me enough to buy its books, so I guess my profile is pretty lame. Ah well.

Actually my username is hlwar. I'll give you a shout-out while I'm there!

Thanks,
~ Heather :)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Looks like after Xinil force splits anime lists into separate pages I'll have to save the separate parts into folders instead of how I've been saving them as whole parts. :(

Nice to see that keeper is there now. :)

duotrouble:
Yeah, I use it every day also to keep track of where I'm at. Sometimes I have to use it to remember if I've even watched the series or not. :D

iceman57:
It would be interesting to see ratings statistics differences between the genders. Some shows would obviously have bigger ranges than others.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Recently I had to defriend someone who was adding five to twenty completed series per day to their list. He ended up "watching" 140 days of anime in about 110-120 days. I couldn't even see updates from anyone else in the Panel (I have it set to show nine updates at a time) any more because he kept pushing everyone elses updates off the screen.
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

I'm on myanimelist!

I like it a lot, I use it extensively to find new shows to watch.

username: genomexec
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

Oh wow, I'm pretty late to the party...
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I withdraw the question that I made in this post. :)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Myanimelist and Anime Planet

Post by Keropi »

I've recently discovered that Anime Planet rewards "badges" for watching School Days: 8O

http://www.anime-planet.com/badges/nice-boat

Ah so Anime Planet gives out "badges" while Crunchyroll gives out "achievements". I see.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

This MAL thread is cracking me up: :rollin

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=305498

:jump :jump
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Yeah, I'm enjoying the badges at anime planet as well but I find myself only going there about once a month. I have MAL as an app on my phone so now I'll use it multiple times in a day.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I just discovered this MAL-connected webpage today:

http://mal.oko.im/

It analyzes your MAL page. It's pretty neat.

I got this:

http://mal.oko.im/Terence_T

The Least Favorite Genre seems a little off though. Just because "hentai" anime are rated lower than the other averages it gave me that. :shrug

I think "Lowest Rated Genres" would be a more accurate description of that category.
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

That's pretty cool, thanks for that. :) Here's mine.

I'm using another MAL add-on called Mal Updater for automatically updating my list after I watch something. I also use it to download and play new episodes that are on my watching list.
When I want to watch an episode, I simply click play and the program opens the correct episode and afterwards automatically updates my list. It also has a very useful extension for downloading torrents. It only searches torrents for series on my watching list or plan to watch list. Then I simply click the ones I want to download and watch them a short while later.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

The MAL Updater would come in pretty handy. It's just that I normally post something about an episode that I watched at the same time that I update my list.

So if I'm too lazy to write anything about the episode then my list (usually) doesn't get updated. That seems to be happening a lot lately. :(

You don't drop many shows do you? :D
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

This season has too many shows I don't want to miss. :D

There also is a popup while watching, which shows a link to the forum topic of that episode.
And this is what the program looks like, with the link to watch the next episode.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Woh, that's pretty neat. I'm posting on another message board though. We used to talk about Maison Ikkoku years ago, but now since there's only the four of us left, about the only thing we talk about is what anime we're watching. Sometimes I used to post 20 to 40 times before getting any response back. So I'm used to posting and not getting any response. But it seems there's more of a variety of anime for us to view this season. There's even a couple of anime that all four of us are watching (Zetman and Lupin III) at the same time and that's pretty rare. A couple of the posters are more into the "older school" type of anime...while I'm not so much into that.

By the way, episode 7 of Kore wa Zombie Season 2 was hilarious. I noticed that you seen that. There was some good humor in that episode. :D
This season has too many shows I don't want to miss. :D
Yeah, you're watching more than I am. 8O