duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Guess I'm not the only one turning back to the darkside. :P
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Just for fun I went to the Kanon (2006) anime listing on MAL and clicked the first 150 names of people who gave it a 10 rating.

I found six people that had a 80% or higher anime compatibilty with me, but it seems the main reason the numbers were so high was because there were hardly any shared anime with them:

1. 80.3% (35 shared)
2. 80.6% (31 shared)
3. 84.0% (22 shared)
4. 83.9% (19 shared)
5. 83.7% (17 shared)
6. 82.2% (22 shared)

It's much easier to have higher percentages with fewer shared titles.

Here's the current numbers:

klet -------------------55.2% (52 shared)
duotrouble-----------57.3% (58 shared)
JuniorMintKiss-------84.1% (15 shared)
syan-------------------56.2% (83 shared)
Serenity--------------46.7% (69 shared)
AnimatedWriter-----Unknown (25 shared)
RedWolf--------------79.1% (132 shared)
mizducky-------------69.8% (91 shared)
EternityOfPain------75.3% (114 shared)

I found one guy who even though he gave Kanon (2006) a 10, had a 39.1% shared compatibility with me (26 titles shared). I think I ran across someone who had a 27% shared compatibility with me once. That was really low. :D
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I recently added my anime list, but I'm still working on the manga list on MAL. I was able to use animeobsessed as my signon there, also. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to list them all out and I still should do some ranking of series.

I knew it before, but this proves I spend way too much time on anime. X|
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

Keropi wrote:Just for fun I went to the Kanon (2006) anime listing on MAL and clicked the first 150 names of people who gave it a 10 rating.

I found six people that had a 80% or higher anime compatibilty with me, but it seems the main reason the numbers were so high was because there were hardly any shared anime with them:
Yeah, it's funny how high the "compatibility" is with some of the people who haven't watched much. I wonder how they calculate it.

Just curious, have you seen many people with the same or more shared anime as we have (132 at the moment) and a higher percentage than 79.1%?
lcatino

Post by lcatino »

I signed up last month, but haven't finished yet. :wink:

~ Beauty is everywhere. You just have to open your eyes. ~
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

redwolf wrote:I wonder how they calculate it.
From what I recall people saying, it's based off the difference between the ratings you gave anime and the ratings the other person has (how large the difference is on average). I conducted a survey last night and unfortunately from what I could tell that doesn't appear to be the most accurate way of rating anime/manga compatibility.

I found nineteen lists that were between 21% and 39% compatibility with mine. Often the reasons why we were so "incompatible" was because the other person liked giving a lot of 9 and 10 ratings while I gave the same anime only 7s and 8s. So the "incompatibility" was caused mainly because of an anime rating method differences and/or because we didn't like the anime the same amount. We both liked the anime though.

I think it would be much more accurate if compatibility were based off:

1. Anime both people liked (both gave 7 to 10 ratings for)

2. Anime both people didn't like (both gave 6 and below ratings for)

3. Anime where one person gave a 7 to 10 rating while the other person only gave it a 6 or below.

...then compare the ratio of 1+2 to 3. But MAL's servers are already overtaxed so they'd never institute something like that.
redwolf wrote:Just curious, have you seen many people with the same or more shared anime as we have (132 at the moment) and a higher percentage than 79.1%?
Out of the 659 profiles I checked yesterday and today....none had both. One came close though.

I found 16 people out of the 659 profiles that had 75.0% anime compatibility or higher AND had 50 or more anime shared:

76.4% (58 ), 78.9% (147), 75.8% (85), 79.0% (82), 76.7% (224), 79.5% (77), 75.4% (118 ), 76.8% (96), 82.1% (67), 75.8% (100),, 76.7% (78 ), 75.4% (74), 77.5% (77), 79.5% (72), 83.5% (68 ), 75.4% (58 )

The lowest anime compatibility I could find out of the 659 profiles was 21.6% for 26 shared anime. The highest anime compatibility I could find was 88.1% for 20 shared anime.

The average anime compatibility for me out of the 659 people was around 64% to 65%. That was the mid-point anyway. (don't feel like adding the individual percentages up). Out of 659 people anime compatibilities were:

20%-24% - 3
25%-29% - 3
30%-34% - 2
35%-39% - 11
40%-44% - 16
45%-49% - 33
50%-54% - 55
55%-59% - 81
60%-64% - 131
65%-69% - 147
70%-74% - 98
75%-79% - 49
80%-84% - 27
85%-89% - 3

Hey...doesn't this profile picture look familiar?: :D

http://myanimelist.net/profile/midnightq2

What is your anime compatibility with this guy?:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Andu
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

Keropi wrote:
redwolf wrote:I wonder how they calculate it.
From what I recall people saying, it's based off the difference between the ratings you gave anime and the ratings the other person has (how large the difference is on average). I conducted a survey last night and unfortunately from what I could tell that doesn't appear to be the most accurate way of rating anime/manga compatibility.
It's gotta be based on what percentage of anime you share, too, right? Syan shares 18.8% of my anime with 55.2% compatibility. I share 35.6% with your list, 79.1% compatibility. I took the smaller "total entries" number to come up with the percentages.

As for ratings, I kinda gave up rating my anime unless a number feels just right. I remember we discussed how their rating system isn't well worded.

I experimented with rating Tetsuwan Birdy.

Your rating is a 6 on both the OVA and the TV series.

Unrated, we have 79.1% compatibility.
Your average is 6.9 and mine is 6.1.
The average difference is 1.03

If I rate the OVA 1, my average is still 6.1, and the average difference is 1.10. Our compatibility drops to 77.2%

If I rate the OVA 10, my average is 6.2, and the difference is 1.08, and our compatibility drops all the way to 73.5%. o.O
Man, I laughed out loud after this. I don't see why a single series should affect the percentage that much. Our average ratings became closer, though the average difference in ratings did not.

If I rate both Tetsuwan Birdy OVA and TV a 10, our compatibility drops to 69.3 percent. The average difference changes to 1.13.
Hehe, this is hilarious.

If I rate the OVA and TV the same as you (both 6), our compatibility is 79.0%. Same average ratings as originally, but the average difference is 1.00.

Now, I rate the OVA 6 and the TV 5, and the average difference in ratings is 1.02, and our compatibility goes up to 79.4%.

1. Anime both people liked (both gave 7 to 10 ratings for)

2. Anime both people didn't like (both gave 6 and below ratings for)

3. Anime where one person gave a 7 to 10 rating while the other person only gave it a 6 or below.
Hm, but I liked most of the anime I gave sixes to. I even liked some of the fives, but liking the characters didn't make the plot or character treatment (lack of development or poor story choices) any less terrible.

Compatibility is a gimmick, anyway. A cool one, but I can't imagine there being an accurate system.
Out of the 659 profiles I checked yesterday and today....none had both. One came close though.
That's a lot of profiles! I only occasionally look at random profiles that I see under anime profiles I've added.

So, only about 2.4% of people have 75%+ compatibility with you (over 50 shared). I think the lowest I've seen was 30% or so. Not sure about highest.
Hey...doesn't this profile picture look familiar?: :D

http://myanimelist.net/profile/midnightq2
Cool. I still haven't put up a profile picture... I'm 74.9% with this guy.
What is your anime compatibility with this guy?:

76.3%, 124 shared. Andu's average rating is 8.2, and mine is 6.3. Average difference between ratings is 2.05. I applaud his 10s for Aria, but I can't bring myself to rate anything a "masterpiece", and I even have a hard time with "great". If I was more concerned with ratings, I probably should bump some up to 8s and 9s to widen my range a tad.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Well...I suppose this just proves that the best way to check anime/manga compatibility is by manually comparing the numbers and doing mental calculations. :)
That's a lot of profiles! I only occasionally look at random profiles that I see under anime profiles I've added.
That was out of a thousand profiles checked because a lot of people either had private lists or didn't have enough shared anime rated.

Say how much did that Battle Angel cel end at? I didn't save the auction.

By the way...if I rigorously followed MAL's weird rating description system, I'd rate most anime 5s and 6s (5 average or 6 fine). I don't consider very most anime I've watched to completion to be 4 bad or 7 good and better. Most anime I've completed think of as being decent, alright or meh. :)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

lcatino, so what's your username over there? :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

Keropi wrote:Well...I suppose this just proves that the best way to check anime/manga compatibility is by manually comparing the numbers and doing mental calculations. :)
I wonder, does the percent change as much if you mess around with your shared ratings?
That was out of a thousand profiles checked because a lot of people either had private lists or didn't have enough shared anime rated.
That's a lot more profiles! ;)
Say how much did that Battle Angel cel end at? I didn't save the auction.
At least you saw the auction! Missing cool auctions like these is the price I pay for not checking thoroughly anymore. I pretty much only check for sketches these days, and I don't even do a good job of that anymore. However, I lucked out and found it: looks like it ended at 80k with (what looks like) Rinkya as the high bidder.
By the way...if I rigorously followed MAL's weird rating description system, I'd rate most anime 5s and 6s (5 average or 6 fine). I don't consider very most anime I've watched to completion to be 4 bad or 7 good and better. Most anime I've completed think of as being decent, alright or meh. :)
Yeah, most of the time, if I've bothered to finish something, it's better than a "bad" rating. There's always a couple exceptions, though.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

redwolf wrote:I still haven't put up a profile picture...
Yeah...you need a picture. The big gray "N/A" pic is not cool (as Soul Eater Evans would say). :)
I wonder, does the percent change as much if you mess around with your shared ratings?
I have no idea. :shrug
However, I lucked out and found it: looks like it ended at 80k with (what looks like) Rinkya as the high bidder.
Thanks for the figure. I only stumbled on it because it showed up in someone's "related auctions" section at the top of an already completed auction.
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Keropi wrote:What is your anime compatibility with this guy?:

62.7% Medium-High

Why?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I was just wondering what redwolf's compatibility with him was since redwolf is an Aria fan. :)

Just curious. :D

Yay! I'm almost third on the Dropped list now. :yay

I haven't fallen to third place for awhile. :wave:
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

darksuzaku wrote:http://myanimelist.net/profile/darksuzaku

that's mine Keropi ^_^
Cool! Did you just finish or do you have more to add?

Hmm....I kind of thought that KOR would be in your favorite five. :D