What NOT to Dub!!!???

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Carla
Kishin - Fierce God

What NOT to Dub!!!???

Post by Carla »

Ok, everyone it's been FOREVER since I last started a topic 8O

Let's have some fun :jump

I was just watching random videos on YouTube and that is when I came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6iRdyraicI

:OMG WHAT DID THEY DO???!!! They DUBBED Ouran Host Club X|

Well :roll: I can't say it's the worst dubbed anime but I don't get why they dubbed the song too??? /?: But any who :)

Name the 2 WORST DUBBED animes you ever scene??!!!

And just for extra fun :wink:

Name the WORST 2 SUBBED animes???!!!

Ok, I'll start :bounce

Worst Dubbed:

1.) Naruto - Sorry everyone I can't stand Naruto's voice actor in English that voice drives me nuts
:crazy
2.) Ranma 1/2 - I'm not sure why but I didn't like Ranma dubbed I like watching it subbed better

Worst Subbed:

1.) DBZ - I don't like watching DBZ subbed because they all sound like girls 8O

2.) Fruit Basket - And the same goes for Fruit Basket I know the guys are young but WHY DO THEY SOUND LIKE GIRLS??!!! :P :)

Ok, Who's Next??!!! :D /?: :P
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into
(O.o ) your signature to help him
(> < ) on his way to world domination
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

Worst Dubbed
I would have to say Fushigi Yuugi & Rurouni Kenshin. After watching those series in their entirety in japanese with eng/subs I just couldn't stomach the dubbed versions. :tongue The voice acting was just horrible to me!

Worst Subbed
I just can't think of anything at the moment. :shrug
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

well i generally watch my dvds dubbed so i'm used to most the studios that do dub.

The worst dub by FAR was Saiunkoku Monogatari. But to make matters worse, the Video quality is complete Ass too.

I agree about Fruits Basket, I can not watch that show subbed. I can't stand hearing the high school boys voiced by a woman. It's one thing for a child to be voiced by a woman who sounds like a boy, but they didn't even Try to make the female VAs sound like young Men.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

One of the worst dubs, in my opinion, is that of the US English dub of Sailormoon S and SuperS season. Anything that Cloverway touches is bad, and these two seasons are revoltingly bad. I'm sorry, but Chibimoon is not a valley girl and hearing her say "As iiifffuu!" makes me ache almost as much as your standard stomach flu.

I find that there are a lot of bad seiyuu in shoujo anime as well. I could never make it far into the "Pichi Pichi Pitch/Mermaid Melody" anime because the main character, Lucia, had such a poor voice. And then you had to hear it sing since the premise was that mermaids can only attack while singing.

The funny thing is that, right across the street from the Toei Animation Studio in Japan, there's a seiyuu school where they teach potential voice actors/actresses about the profession. Yet, when I think of some of the worse seiyuu, they've all worked on anime produced by Toei. I wonder why that is?
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

cutiebunny wrote: I could never make it far into the "Pichi Pichi Pitch/Mermaid Melody" anime because the main character, Lucia, had such a poor voice. And then you had to hear it sing since the premise was that mermaids can only attack while singing.
lol...After a while you get used to it...I don't think she has a bad voice, it just sounds REALLY REALLY weird....
-------------------------------
One thing is a poor dub, and another is just being ridiculous.....
With poor dubs you somewhat get used to it...
and with ridiculous bad dubs you can never stomach it...

Ridiculous Dubs:
*One piece (Sanji sounds horrible, Nami too)

Ridiculous Subs:
*Dragon Ball Z

---------------------------
And what is Ridiculous is Goku's japanese voice....utterly ridiculous, any-way you slice it.....any way....try to take this seriously....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POa2QojC6h0
you can't , it's impossible....
I'm sure some people where rooting for Freeza to slice off his voice box...
I never knew how awful it was until I saw the new anniversary special...I thought it was a joke....This is a GROWN MAN, not a girl, not a young kid....maybe he has the brain of a kid, but he does not have to sound this horrible.....
--------------------------
Any dub that has a grown man voiced by a woman sounds off...It just sounds like a woman trying to talk manly...
The Kenshin sub has a woman actor, but at least she tricks you into believing she's male...(I did like the dub...he sounded cute)
Japa voice vs. Engli voice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbB_pQL-2Q
--------------------------------
Fruits Basket had the bad voice of Yuki....*shudders*
----------------------------------
Summary: Why do they think that Grown kind men must sound like WOMEN????
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

moonrabitt wrote: ---------------------------
And what is Ridiculous is Goku's japanese voice....utterly ridiculous, any-way you slice it.....any way....try to take this seriously....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POa2QojC6h0
you can't , it's impossible....
I'm sure some people where rooting for Freeza to slice off his voice box...
I never knew how awful it was until I saw the new anniversary special...I thought it was a joke....This is a GROWN MAN, not a girl, not a young kid....maybe he has the brain of a kid, but he does not have to sound this horrible.....
Are you sure there wasn't an episode somewhere along the line where we find out about Goku's 'roid usage? It had to have been Bulma's doing - you can never trust those natural blueheads, can you?

:D
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

cutiebunny wrote:One of the worst dubs, in my opinion, is that of the US English dub of Sailormoon S and SuperS season. Anything that Cloverway touches is bad, and these two seasons are revoltingly bad. I'm sorry, but Chibimoon is not a valley girl and hearing her say "As iiifffuu!" makes me ache almost as much as your standard stomach flu.
Yes I second that! I can't stand the dubbing after R. Not that the original dubbing was anything special but at least it wasn't terrible.

Cardcaptor's dub is horrendous too. I mean ears bleeding bad. I now cringe every time I hear the name Madison. So I think it psychologically scarred me for life. But I do like the English opening for some reason.

I can't stand Blue Gender's subs. The voices just don't sound right also the actors just didn't seem interested in the story. Its just very bland especially if you compare it to the dub.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

The dub for Shadow Skill OVA was done in Wales and everyone sounds wrong, really WRONG :hurt:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

Worst Dubs

Ayashi No Ceres
This was by far the worst anime I'd ever heard in English! The voices just didn't match up or feel right, and there was too much emphasis on things there didn't have to be. I almost dropped this series because of the English track, tried the japanese track and was watchable

Fruits Basket
Way before anyone was reading this I fell in love with it and rabidly collected the books and waited for each volume to come out. Then the boxed set came out and it was my first boxed set ever! I was so upset to hear their voices. Yuki was not suave but borderline female. Tohru was waaay too over-enthusiastic and Shigure didn't have the perv tone I was expecting. Nothing could have ben more disappointing

Worst Subs

A series I can't watch subbed is Elfen lied. I don't think the Japanese voice actor for Lucy could pull off the same cold tone and edge to it. Plus listening to all the deaths wasn't as satisfying in Japanese, they don't seem to scream as wildly.

The other would have to be Chobits. I loved Hideki and especially Chii's voice. Though I do admit Japanese Chii did awesome singing for the OP/ED. Plus hearing underwear underwear in that one episode is so much funnier/cuter than pantsu pantsu.

[/b]
Carla
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Carla »

I find it interesting to compare dub to sub :)

it makes me want to compare more animes :P

I know eventually there going to dub Vampire Knight 8O do you think they can pull it off??!!! /?:
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into
(O.o ) your signature to help him
(> < ) on his way to world domination
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

Carla wrote:I find it interesting to compare dub to sub :)

it makes me want to compare more animes :P

I know eventually there going to dub Vampire Knight 8O do you think they can pull it off??!!! /?:
Depends who tries to dub it....
I saw the Ouran op and was like 8O ...They did a GOOD JOB on the FB opening, but not a good job on the Ouran op....
Since V. Knight has to do with VAMPIRES...and that's popular, they will most likely dub it....If it's done by Funimation, than at least it has a good chance of surviving....Since they did dub FMA and other good stuff.........
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
kizu

Post by kizu »

Worst dub Fushigi Yuugi and Fruits baskets... Cannot watch those shows especially furuba in English. Oh and I might have to add naruto to this... Just don't like the voices I guess, it gets irritating.

Worst sub Gintama (crunchyroll version of the sub only).
My Cel & Sketch Gallery: http://hajimenokizu.com
crackpot27
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

Worst Dubs:
Naruto: If only because I had to hear the "Believe it!" line over and over...and over.
Fushigi Yuugi: I had to stop this series a couple of times just to get over the headache cause by a couple of voice actors, Miaka's in particular made me cringe.

Worst Subs:
Samurai Troopers: This one I admit might be solely due to watching the entire series in english. After that many episodes I expected them to sound a certain way...and I didn't like the change :hurt:

All in all though I can't really think of too many of either dubs or subs that bothered me a lot, of course this is mostly because I generally watch it one way or the other not both :P
Nelia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nelia »

I personally couldn't stand One Piece's dub. It was like nails on a chalkboard. ;_; It's one of the few anime I can't stand to watch in English.

Hm.. it makes me wonder. I would really hate to see Mononoke/Ayakashi Medicine Man dubbed. It's so cultural to Japan - throwing low pitched English voices on it would totally ruin the feel.
Linwe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Linwe »

Worst Dubs:

Utena :bwall It's wrong on so many levels. It's the only one that is so bad I refuse to watch the dubbed.

Fruits Basket I'm going with FB for my second choice mainly because of Ayame and Shigure's voices. Ayame is one of my favorite Furuba characters and the English voice actor is beyond horrid. Shigure in English loses some of the perviness (that's probably not a word) that makes him so funny. Yuki is the only one that I remember having a girlish voice in Japanese and it didn't bother me because it fit his character. FB is also a bad dub because you lose some of Tohru's character with her addressing everyone formally. The scene where she says "Yuki-kun" loses all meaning in English.

Worst Subs:

Kenshin Even if it doesn't sound outright like Kenshin's a woman, he doesn't sound like a man, either. With Yuki it doesn't bother me because he's a girly character. Kenshin is not. Or maybe it's the can't-tell-in-between way Kenshin sounds that bothers me. I get the... irony? of a manslayer that has a soft voice but I think the English version does a LOT better. I think they did a good job with the "that it is", too.

Cowboy Bebop Maybe I just watched it too much in English and fell in love with Spike's voice, but I just can't watch it in Japanese. I like all of their voices in English, actually, not just Spike. It's well done, they have expression and character. Why can't they all be this good? :roll:
British, you see, useless. I cannot get the equipment.