Seeking new crack...

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies

When was the best anime made?

1970's (and before... is there any before that?)
No votes
1980's
12%
1990's
56%
It just keeps getting better! (2000's)
32%

Total votes: 34

Linwe
Kishin - Fierce God

Seeking new crack...

Post by Linwe »

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've watched any new anime. Any suggestions of new stuff (say, last 3-5 years) that's good? I think the only one I've seen is Death Note, which I did like. For a basis, here are some of my favoite series:

Fruits Basket
Tenchi
Utena
Cowboy Bebop
Ah! My Goddess
Kare Kano
Kenshin

I guess I like comedy, light-hearted stuff mostly. Not really into gore or vampires. Don't mind some yaoi.

Help me find new crack!! :wow:
blueshinma
Kamisama - God

Post by blueshinma »

MMMMMM crack Ive been watching:

Gankutsuou - took a while to get used to the animation style, but I grew to enjoy it. It is a Count of Monte Cristo Space opera type thing.

Bokurano - INSANELY sad but really well done, I bawled like a little girl.

Tekkonkinkreet - a movie I fell in love with.

Ongoing ones:

Natsume Yuu-jin Chou - Its almost like a drama, I am hooked.

07-Ghost - I was really into this one, but the last episode, 9 I think, they lost me a little bit. It could go either way from there :D

Code Geass is another one I've been trying to catch up on.
Kero
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Kero »

If you like Utena, you might like Mnemosyne, although it's not very light-hearted.

Have you seen Trigun? Full Metal Alchemist?

Yakitate!! Japan

Mushishi

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

These are some of my favorites that may fit what you like. Enjoy! :D
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

No I have not seen Trigun . What's it like?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

If you want a light-hearted comedy, you could check out Lovely Complex. It's about 26 episodes.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

I have not seen a ton of newer stuff, but I have seen two recent things that have impressed me. One is Death Note which you mentioned, and the other is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

I would definitely recommend Gurren Lagann. It's mainly very lighthearted but plenty of interesting twists and great action.
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

I second Natsume Yuu-jin Chou. Gives a glimpse into Japanese culture on the supernatural. Mushishi is great too, not funny but meaningful and touching.

The other one I enjoyed because the romance was realistic (as in boy meets girl but doesn't immediately fall in love) is Toradora.

Have you watched Bleach? Lotsa action and humour :)
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

light romance/funny/ touching

Fushigi Yuugi ***** my favorite :D

Itazura na Kiss

Bokura ga Ita

A Cheeky Angel

Nodame Cantabile

Aishiteruze Baby

Full Moon wo Sagashite

Kaikan Phase- not as good as the manga
Wallfower
Nana
Vampire Knight
Vampire Knight Guilty ....etc, etc
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

The 90's were definitely the bomb for me!

I loved Fruits Basket, surprisingly enough.

Does anyone know of any newer good mecha anime (besides Gundam) to watch?
blueshinma
Kamisama - God

Post by blueshinma »

HAHAHA I just found a super fun new series, I'm about half way thru it's called Skip Beat. All about a girl who gets dumped so she swears to become a famous idol to get revenge. I'm laughing out loud constantly.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

blueshinma
HAHAHA I just found a super fun new series, I'm about half way thru it's called Skip Beat. All about a girl who gets dumped so she swears to become a famous idol to get revenge. I'm laughing out loud constantly.
Waiting for the new season :^^:

Just started romeo x juliet
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Well a couple that are not comedys but I found to be quite good are Stellvia & Kurau Phantom Memory.

For light comedy with compelling story I could add Tsukuyomi Moon Phase , Shakugan no Shana & Mai Hime.
Last edited by JWR on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Post by JWR »

Well a couple that are not comedys but I found to be quite good are Stellvia & Kurau Phantom Memory.

For light comedy with compelling story I could add Tsukuyomi Moon Phase , Shakugan no Shana & Mai Hime.
Last edited by JWR on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Your purpose is light comedy with compelling story I could add Tsukuyomi Moon Phase Shakugan no Shana Mai Hime.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Your purpose is light comedy with compelling story I could add Tsukuyome Moon Phase Shakugan no Shana Mai Hime.
-I, Robot (Asimov)