Recommend an Anime that flew under the Radar

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Recommend an Anime that flew under the Radar

Post by JWR »

I know over the years the volume of anime that has shown up on store shelves has been more than most fans can keep up with.

A lot of great shows have been seemed to have been passed by due to the wave of popular shows like Bleach , Naruto , Inuyasha ect.

So feel free to let all know ones you found that a lot of us may have missed when they came out.

I'll start with Kurau Phantom Memory

This anime was produced by Bones and is a Sci-Fi Drama that had great artwork and story.

The story involves a scientist who is attempting to harness a newly discovered energy source call Rynax. Unknown to him the Rynax energy is actually an energy based lifeform that his process is bringing into this world from another demention. During an experiment two "lifeform particals" escape the contaiment unit and merge with the scientist's 12 year old daughter Kurau. It turns out the Rynax are live as bonded pairs for life and the second of the pair that is bonded with Kurau is injured and remains dormant for many years till it appears in Kurau' s 12 year old form.

This story has many touching moments , plenty of action and great artwork.

If you get a chance I hope you give it a try.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Mamotte Shugogetten!

Done by Toei Animation, the TV series ran from 1998 - 1999 and OVAs from 2000 - 2001.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=502

At first glance it appears to be an AMG rip-off, but it is much more comedic, IMHO. And the Opening is by SURFACE (who also performed ED5 for Naruto Shippuuden and ED3 for D.Gray-man))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZollwzX96A

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll also throw out Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne.

Done by Toei Animation. Original manga by Arina Tanemura. TV series ran from 1999 - 2000.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... php?id=362

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFQUQAPFEgo
metheus
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by metheus »

Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=1009
Created by acclaimed director Tatsuo Sato (NADESICO / THIS UGLY YET BEAUTIFUL WORLD / AZUMANGA DAIOH), with planning by Masao Maruyama (GUNGRAVE / DEATH NOTE), production by Masao Morosawa (GUNGRAVE / JUBEI-CHAN) and character designs by Yuuji Ikeda (SAIYUKI / GUNGRAVE / MONSTER)!

The world is about to be turned upside down for Hajime Murata. First, a strange alien ship appears over Tokyo, and then a mysterious new transfer student arrives at his school wearing an ancient school uniform. His name is Muryou, and with his arrival, everything begins to change. Students suddenly begin to display amazing psychic powers, a giant white guardian keeps appearing in the skies over the city to fight off gigantic alien creatures, and men with threatening weapons are haunting the shadows of the school grounds.
Box set is often on sale at TRSI (not today):
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... 3431/4/0/0
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Muryou and with his arrival everything begins to change is not someone I know.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Sci-Fi Harry
I started watching it almost 8 years ago and never finished it because it was so hard to find. Now, thanks to youtube, I was able to watch it all. As the title suggests, it's a bit sci-fi because it mostly deals with psychics and the ability of the mind. The story revolves around a young boy who's been shunned his entire life (he's the weak type), when one day something happens to awaken his psychic ability. The story gets bigger and a little crazier then on, but I was glued to the screen. Great series.

I'm also in the process of watching Night Head Genesis, which was written by the same guy who wrote Sci-Fi Harry. This, too, is another psychic story, although not as dark and foreboding.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

if you like scary ones, theres something called "Ghost hunt" that was really good... not sure how popular it is but man that one seriously scared me when i was watching it! 8O

a funny one i really love is Ouran Host Club... but you mightve seen it already since i think it is kinda popular.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

scary one: Boogiepop

I wasn't able to get very far into this anime, b/c Anime Network was no longer offered by our cable service provider. Basically, it got cut off as soon as it was getting interesting!

sci-fi: godannar, i guess

this show is awesome, i think it flew under the radar though.

i'd add some bishoujos, but since i'm ssssooo tired from pulling a double-shift today, my brain isn't working. try again later :P
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

OK I will try it.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
hyelakingsfan
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by hyelakingsfan »

I would have to go with S-cry-ed, definately!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How much would you pay for it?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Marchen Awakens Romance (MAR Heaven)

http://www.absoluteanime.com/mar/index.htm

Starts out kinda strange, but gets ALOT better as it goes.

If you can get past Babbo, this is a very action packed, fun anime. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEZIzQAsMLw
Niezerra

Post by Niezerra »

Narutaru, It will make you paranoid but it gives you the weirdest feeling. It's just a really messed up anime wow.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Depressed ? ... try "Bobobo-bo_Bo-bobo" comedy series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobobo-bo_Bo-bobo
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

A couple that I can recommend are:

Sasami: Magical Girl Club. A spin off of Magical Girl Pretty Sammy, itself a spin-off from the Tenchi Muyo franchise, this recent (2006-07) series is actually one of relatively few recent magical girl series that I watched and then rewatched with pleasure. The intended audience is younger females (late elementary/early middle-school) but the scripts are very clever, thanks to the series creator, Mari Okada (Rozen Maiden, Simoun, Vampire Knight). It got contemptuously hostile reviews from ANN and most other professional anime reviewers, but if you visit the ANN page you'll see that most viewers (like me) rate it decent to excellent (I'd go "very good," as there are some serious plot holes, especially toward the end, but the continually surprising quirks in the storyline make up for them).

and

Asatte no Houkou. A 2006 "summertime" series a little like AIR, with a supernatural premise that is a bit like some of the recent Hollywood movies about adults returning to childhood and vice versa. Essentially, a young woman and a precocious child visit a shrine and exchange places, the child becoming a young woman and the woman returning to her child self. That being done, the story sticks stubbornly to a slice of life format, in which we gradually find out more and more about the personalities whose ages have been switched and the males in their lives. I found it extraordinarily engaging for a 12-episode series, and the art and the voice acting are both extremely good. (ANN calls it "very good," I'd say "excellent," better than the [IMHO] rather pretentious and ultimately soppy AIR.)
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

Not available domestically, but I'm a huge fan of many less-known series. At the rist of creating competition for myself, I'd recommend these.

Ryu Knight - very funny magical mecha adventure series

Nintama Rantaro - hilarious ninja-school comedy

Ninpen Manmaru - cute series about a penguin ninja-in-training

Bonobono - fantastic series about a sea otter and his friends, funny, charming, and even artistic in a way

Dr. Rin ni Kiite Mite- cute series, last 1/3 is extremely rushed compared to the first 2/3 unfortunately. One of the few series to actually surprise me with the identity of a main character.

Hell Teacher Nube - Teacher with a demon-hand protects his students from various paranormal creatures

Akachan to Boku - the manga is available in English, but not the anime. It's a very cute, sweet series.

VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire - goofy cute magical mech adventure show
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.