Anime you liked more than the manga

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Anime you liked more than the manga

Post by Keropi »

What anime have you guys liked more than the manga/novel/game?

Usually things seem to work in the opposite direction. The manga/novel/game has more time to include more plotline. The anime often simplifies a plot. You can read manga at the speed you want so slow parts don't seem as slow as they do in an anime. If characters have endless dialogs you can breeze through them faster in a manga. If you don't like the wacky slapstick of the manga jokes your eyes can skip over them quickly.

In an anime, the voices might be way off from how you thought they would sound, the overall tone could be different etc.

Are there any anime that you guys liked more than the manga/novel/game?
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Harlock, especially its 2nd part "SSX" based on "Arcadia My Youth".
I definitively find the character design review from Komatsubara making them more mature to fit the illumidas occupation story.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Why? : iceman57 said it definitively find the character design review from Komatsubara making them more mature to fit the illumidas occupation story.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Usually if I like the anime better it is because the manga came second, or because BOTH the anime and manga were based off novels. Either that, or the manga just had a god-awful look to it, which was corrected for the anime. :)

But, back to your question, series I liked better animated include: Escaflowne, Twelve Kingdoms, Slayers, Crest/Banner of the Stars, and Hunter x Hunter, just to name a few.
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

Princess Tutu, Utena, Escaflowne (any version)
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
yoshito

Post by yoshito »

Oddly enough I liked Fullmetal Alchemist and Vampire Princess Miyu as much as or even a bit more than their manga.

As for an anime over the game, it would be Tales of the Abyss. Just because I never did get the game so to follow along the story I watched the anime. At that time in my life though RPGs just did not appeal to me. Got burnt out level grinding and refused to play any game that required some level grinding. >_<
Click here if you agree with InuYasha.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Peoples tastes are always changing.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
yoshito

Post by yoshito »

Unlike yours cloud, speaking of which... how's that dress?
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

Tenshi ni Narumon, the 2 manga volumes do not even being cover let alone scratch the depth of the 26 episode series!!
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Figure 17 was much better anime as the manga condensed 90% on the story into the second and last book.(Guess sales were real poor)

Martian Successor Nadesico anime was as much better than the manga.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Usually I don't like to compare the two because they are different mediums with different limitations. But out of the few I've both read and watched, xxxHolic and Full Metal Alchemist. I love FMA. I like xxxHolic. I hated both manga so much I dropped them. FMA: Brotherhood is different. A part of me wishes I never started watching it. I hate it but then again it's supposedly following a manga I hated so it stands to reason. X|
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Why do you hate both manga so much I dropped them so much?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Ryouko
Kamisama - God

Post by Ryouko »

I definitely have to add Get Backers to that list. I never could get into the manga, the art style just turned me off...

The manga story for Escaflowne was too different from the anime to really compare them, they both seemed like completely separate stories but with the same name (and I enjoyed both immensly).

Yoshito: The Tales of the Abyss anime did an excellent job of retelling the game, though it left out a lot of the character backstories (like why Jade wears glasses, fufufu...). The game is one of my favorite rpgs to date. :) (Now Tales of Symphonia OVA just needs to hurry up and finish)
Webmistress and owner of Picture Perfect:
http://www.rockman-exe.com/picture.html
http://ryouko.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
Always looking for high-quality Tamahome, Tasuki or Boshi-twin cels!
yoshito

Post by yoshito »

bulleta tells me that I need to play the game as well. I just wish I bought it back when it came out rather than trying to find it today. Especially since I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia (so much so that I had to buy another GC to finish the game).

I bought the Nadesico comics/manga but never did read it. That was one I bought after watching the series on DVD. :P
Nat.R
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nat.R »

Escaflowne (all manga versions), and Death Note