FMA: Brotherhood

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
TMarkS
Anime Geek

FMA: Brotherhood

Post by TMarkS »

I was watching Adult Swim today and one of the bumpers showed the new anime lineup. One series caught my eye. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Is this like a second season for the show or a rehash of the original? I hadn't heard of this until today.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Really what did you see?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

It is a new series based strictly on the manga (as opposed to the original which goes off in its own direction).

Haven't actually seen it yet, but I've heard it's good.
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

its amazing is what it is :D
CaptainChar

Post by CaptainChar »

I was not impressed by the first episode of Brotherhood. It came off as a speedy action episode showing all our favorite characters blow stuff up. The tone of the show is very different and not to be confused with the first. I also thought the dialoge and voice acting was more generic. Its not fair to judge a show by the first episode but I really hope it gets better.
Sieg Zeon
TMarkS
Anime Geek

Post by TMarkS »

I missed the first episode. Hopefully they will rerun it soon.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Why do you hope for they will rerun it soon
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I am current with what has been shown in Japan/ Fansubs and can tell you not to miss it. It is strictly Manga story line and once you get used to the idea that it is not the first story it is much better. I can't comment on the english dub, but I have NEVER seen a good one!

Watch past episode two and you will be hooked :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
TMarkS
Anime Geek

Post by TMarkS »

Okay, I just watched the first episode. It's available subbed at Funimation's website: http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=280

Sweet!
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Alright, I'll be the bad guy here. I hate it! I'm current with the Japanese airing of it simply because I wanted to see the differences between the original FMA and Brotherhood. I would be completely confused if I hadn't seen the original because Brotherhood is all about the action. There is no real character development. If you love Maes Hughes like I do, you'll be very disappointed. Brotherhood is much darker than the other FMA. There is less humor in it. I will make it through the first Japanese run since I'm already 44 episodes in however it will not make my collection in any way.

This past Saturday was the first episode of Brotherhood on Adult Swim. Funimation got the same VAs as they had for the original FMA, which is great. Those VAs are awesome.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

FMA brotherhood does rely on the fact that they have expect you to have seen the first series. I am glad they took that approach because I dont wanna see the same episodes reanimated in the new series. It would be a waste and it was bad enough they had to do some as is. They got to the crossroads quickly and moved forward from there seperatly from the first series.
Last edited by beatrush on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Once I got passed the animation I started to enjoy it simply because of the difference in storyline. I too was curious about the differences between the manga and anime so this series has filled in some holes for me. Occasionally I still get annoyed with how different the characters look from the original, but other than that I find myself hooked. I have to agree with what has already been said. Get past the first couple of episodes and it'll finally get interesting. I will also agree with DT though. Not much character development, however since I've seen those characters developed in the first series I don't feel quite so cheated. :P
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Yes, it's rather obvious when you think about it.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Goldknight wrote:I will also agree with DT though. Not much character development, however since I've seen those characters developed in the first series I don't feel quite so cheated. :P
I was making sure to point that out since I know a couple of people watching Brotherhood who have never seen the first FMA. They were asking me questions about what was happening. I was happy to get past the point of repeat information but I can see it annoying for those it's new to. I really hope they don't do this to other anime. It just shows me they're running out of original ideas.

Now, if they want to cut the fat out of anime like they are with Dragon Ball Kai, I'm all for that. I like Kai a lot and am actually making it through the Freeza saga. :^^: I skipped that in Z to get to Trunks. :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I like Kai a lot and am actually making it through the Freeza saga. I skipped that in Z to get to Trunks. Wink
As you should because Trunks rocks. :P
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug