Surprise cameos

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Surprise cameos

Post by duotrouble »

Has anyone been watching an anime and noticed somewhere in the shot another anime, music group, manga or something else like an ad?

I've been rewatching Gundam Seed Destiny lately. Around a dozen episodes into the series, Athrun walks into the breakroom and sees Shinn reading a magazine. Now, I've seen this anime many times but this is the first time I ever noticed the cover of Shinn's magazine. It says, "High & Mighty Color". That's the name of the musical group that does Gundam Seed Destiny's opening theme song. I can't believe I never noticed that before. :rollin

Anyone else?

Edit = spelling X|
Last edited by duotrouble on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Well, not an official cameo...but I have a doujinshi where the character is wearing the exact same sweatshirt that his voice actor is wearing in a photoshoot (where he was just being himself not the character.) It mildly amused me and made me wonder how many people noticed.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

That totally works! That's actually quite cool! 8)
Maiko
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Maiko »

In one of the Rumic Theater episodes, Inu Yasha and Kagome make a cameo.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

My favorite "cameo" kinda thing is from Gundam Wing... where Heero is about to disarm some missiles, and the computer distinctly reads "Intel Outside". :rollin Cracks me up every time I see it ;).
Koneko Koji
Kamisama - God

Post by Koneko Koji »

One of my favourites is in Cardcaptor Sakura, one of the manga Kero-chan is reading is Wish. ^_^
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

One cameo I can remember was in Full Metal Panic: TSR.
Episode 6 I believe, where Sousake is in a Hair Salon. He tries to remain calm & composed, to "blend in" but freaks out when the Barber pulls out his scissors & tries to cut Sousake's hair. Sousake pulls a hidden gun out & starts to point it the Barber before realising he has made another error in judgement................Kaname comes in to reprimand him inclassic FMP style.
The scene then cuts to an outside view of the Salon where you can hear a commotion inside - and here is where you quickly glimpse some of the main (human) characters of the 'Death Note' anime - four in total with Light reading & L riding a bike!?
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

OMG...just rewatching Ouran and there are a TON! As a matter of fact, it quite often pokes fun at itself for being a show. Too cute!

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

The singers of the ops and eds for Detective Conan are sometimes mentioned or make cameos, especially Kuraki Mai and Two-Mix. Aoyama even wrote an entire story around someone kidnapping Two-Mix. :) Doesn't hurt that the singer for Two-Mix is Conan's seiyuu.

The first episode of Kodocha was especially problematic for Funimation since they couldn't use Tokio's song, yet there was dialogue in the episode about them.
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I always liked the bit in Genshiken where the club visits the hentai doujinshi shop and Sasahara locates, with obvious excitement and delight, a new title devoted to "Egg Eater Sakura." (Golly, even I might want to join Genshiken to have a look at that little booklet if it's in their library...)

Another I found takes place in an episode of NieA_7, where Mayuko sees her boyfriend Genzo off on a bus. I have the gengas for the last part of these scene, which are labeled "C-195" to identify the "cut" (animation sequence) to which they belong. When I screened the episode, I was amused to see that this scene is immediately followed by one of the back of the bus pulling away. On the back, we see the bus's serial number, which is, of course, "C-196."
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Surprise cameos

Post by Keropi »

duotrouble wrote:Has anyone been watching an anime and noticed somewhere in the shot another anime, music group, manga or something else like an ad?
I know I've seen a number of those before. I just can't remember very many of them.

They brought "Shakugan no Shana" stuff into "Toaru" related anime omakes because they were both done by the same studio (J. C. Staff). They even told the audience not worrying about it because they were both done by the same studio so it was okay.

The mangaka for "Dance in the Vampire Bund" made an appearance in the first episode of the anime. Stan Lee made an appearance in the first episode of "Heroman".

I just can't recall the others. :shrug

I like seeing parodies of other anime. In "Kurogane no Linebarrels" the caretaker of the apartment complex looked like Kyoko from Maison Ikkoku:

There was a "Saki" parody in "Nyan Koi". Here is "Saki:

And here is a dream sequence from "Nyan Koi":
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

In the OVA Indian Summer there is a contest for robot maids in which Mohoro from Mahoromatic , Multi from To Heart , Rosie form the Jetsons and many other famous robot maids appear.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

zerospace wrote:My favorite "cameo" kinda thing is from Gundam Wing... where Heero is about to disarm some missiles, and the computer distinctly reads "Intel Outside". :rollin Cracks me up every time I see it ;).
OMG! I forgot about that one. I love that too! :crackup

Syaonara Sensei had an episode where they went to a convention. The main girl started routing through doujins and pulled out a couple from Gundam Seed. If I remember right, Shin Chan has several parodies too but I can't think of any at the moment.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Sailormoon had several. When fishing out toys in the UFO machine during the first season, they'd fish out UFO character versions from "Goldfish Warning", and of course, other Sailormoon characters.

In the Sailormoon S season, episode 104 features Chibiusa's backwards attempt at making friends. One of the boys that she befriends is a big "Crayon Shin" fan and not only acts like Shin, but has a doll of him too.

Lots of shows did parodies of Sailormoon, including "Tenchi Muyo". But my personal favorite was the buffed Bo-bo-bo-bobo-bo-bo parody with Bo-bo dressed in a Sailormoon-type outfit, doing the 'oshiokyo' pose.

One of these days, I'm going to have to search for a screenshot of it...
Massacrist Manslayer
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Massacrist Manslayer »

Quacker wrote:One cameo I can remember was in Full Metal Panic: TSR.
Episode 6 I believe, where Sousake is in a Hair Salon. He tries to remain calm & composed, to "blend in" but freaks out when the Barber pulls out his scissors & tries to cut Sousake's hair. Sousake pulls a hidden gun out & starts to point it the Barber before realising he has made another error in judgement................Kaname comes in to reprimand him inclassic FMP style.
The scene then cuts to an outside view of the Salon where you can hear a commotion inside - and here is where you quickly glimpse some of the main (human) characters of the 'Death Note' anime - four in total with Light reading & L riding a bike!?
Is this the same clip Quacker? I found it last year somewhere on the net, thinking it was part of the Note Death series but never able to find the scene.