Anime you just keep falling for <3

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

From time to time, I 're-discover' each and every one of the anime series' which I currently own. The main series I always return to & get a thrill out of if I spot something I had not noticed before is "The Vision of Escaflowne" - which has deservedly already been mentioned a few times already :)

Other series' I always enjoy returning back to include:
* The Full Metal Panic series' (please let a fourth & fifth be made!!!)
* Last Exile (a lavish & grandiose production - one of Gonzo's best)
* Rahxephon & Nadesico (sci-fi factor)
* School Rumble (for the comedy element)
And finally 'Nausicaa' - my most favourite Ghibli production.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I've found that I don't rewatch shows the way I used to. I guess I'm very migratory. It's like my collecting habits:

Get a little of this, a little of that then move onto something else.

Mostly I only watch snippets of past shows and not entire episodes. Probably the closest rewatch I have these days is "Macross: Do You Remember Love". Brings back a lot of fond memories when I rewatch that.
Koneko Koji
Kamisama - God

Post by Koneko Koji »

I must admit I very rarely find time to watch whole series - am much like Keropi, in that i'll watch bits and pieces ... but sometimes I just have to sit and watch.
Others - I tend to fast forward my way through - like Utena ... I adore the series and the art, but OP, END and the stairs to the duel field all get the ffwd treatment.

Some anime, I'll only watch part of - you made me think of it Keropi by mentioning Macross. I really like the 1st part of Macross II - but I hate the ending, so I tend to switch it off before it happens! XD
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I've rewatched parts of "One ~ True Stories" a few times and I still love the ending. I guess it just hits my soft spots.

I rewatched Midori no Hibi's ending about a month ago and the impact of its ending seems to have faded on me. I think I've rewatched it too many times already. :D

ONE should have gotten its own TV series. Shoot....Kanon, AIR and Clannad got their own TV series. All ONE got was a crappy, completely confusing non-adult OVA and a three episode adult anime. I call b.s. :^^:
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I have this Iron rule of never rewatch anime series, just because I hate things gets repeated and I'll already know whats gonna happen next. too many animes out there waiting to be viewed..maybe someday when I get really bored I'll go rewatch the old series, pause, "oh wait, I predict this'll happen next", then resume "damn I'm good, should do this for living!"

tho I do re-watch the last five minutes of school days now and then, still gets me every time 8)
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

I just re-watched all 161 episodes and OVAs to my fav series Ranma!

Thou I had already done so twice in the past, I wanted to share it
w/ cel-senpai so he knows where all my cel-money dies.

I know the series itself is pretty hokey and extremely
repetitive but its the one that really got me into anime
and collecting in general. :wink:
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Hikaru No Go - I never get tired of watching this over and over

Samurai 7 - I could probably recite most of it in my sleep, I have
seen it so many times.

Yamato Nadeshiko - Anytime I am feeling down, I pop this in,
and it totally cheers me up.

I can see Skip Beat as being one of those animes I will watch
over and over again as well.

Bleach and Naruto - Absolutely love them - need I say more! :wink:
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Rewatching FOTNS, and well I can say that in my remembers that was really gore for the 80s...
... now compared to any 2K existing anime or TV reports, this anime oldies looks really soft :D
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:I have this Iron rule of never rewatch anime series, just because I hate things gets repeated and I'll already know whats gonna happen next. too many animes out there waiting to be viewed..maybe someday when I get really bored I'll go rewatch the old series, pause, "oh wait, I predict this'll happen next", then resume "damn I'm good, should do this for living!"

That is an interesting view & rule you have established upon yourself UB-lee? One of the main aims for an anime director & their producers/studio is to ultimately create a product/series that will be viewed at least a few times by their targeted audience.
Hayao Miyazaki comes to mind as being truly gifted in almost effortlessly creating a piece that can be viewed multiple times. Hideaki Anno is another, but with more deliberate actions to tease & stir his audiences - his Neon Genesis Evangelion with its liberal use of religious & mythological symbols as well as the double meanings spaced throughout the series & movies (Misato hiding in the carspace '665' in the movie. 665 comes right before 666........) continue to drive fan-boys nuts with his intended meanings.
For me, I consider a series a failure if I only ever watch it the one time & never feel the need to come back to it - and unfortunately that has happened a few times. Truly not having a dig at you UB-lee & far be it from me telling a fellow anime enthuasist how to watch their anime, I just think you may be depriving yourself from further anime-enjoyment if you only watch a series once. Sure, you miss out on that 'Wow' factor you get when watching a series for the first time, but that is made up by the fact that you will discover little bits & pieces that you never noticed or knew were there in your first viewing.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Indeed, age and personal life offers to have a different look on several animes. They were made by adult for kids or teenager and when you look back to those anime, sometimes the message is definitively more complex.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

eh, I watch anime for the entertainment factor, if a series fails to surprise me with a at least somewhat unpredictable plot and char development and fails to deliver what I look for in a anime(also action, comedy, epic moments, emotional moments etc), then I'd consider dropping it(anime with slow development such as Xam'd: Lost Memories is definitely not my cup of tea no matter how epic the outcome might be). I'm sure I've missed a lot of hints of meanings and don't really get to look at an anime's beginning from its end's perspective but that's the trade off for my time. for me its kinda like playing RPGs lol, beating a game without playing it twice or get to the hidden dungeons and bosses. its what I miss out for getting the time to play other games. also like movies, I'd like to watch all the movies currently out, but time only allow me to either focus on a few or watch as many as possible. to me, a anime don't fail because its plotless, but because it doesn't have the action, comedy, and moments I'm looking for. I think a anime don't really need a strong plot to be good, like dragonaut(action-fan service-moments-fan service-action lol), but it helps.

think somebody once told me that you get a different feeling everytime you rewatch a anime, and you gotta watch it twice to even be able to grasp the full story and appreciated the anime. I certainly don't have the luxury for that if my goal is to find as many new things out there as possible. tho for some classic animes I'd for sure go back and rewatch sometime in the future, prably by the time I have a different view on things. I think there isn't really a "right way" to watch anime, it all differs depending on what you are looking for in it, even if its different then the creator's intend, I'm the one who is watching and I only want what I'm looking for. in other words like someone else posted here, I can't miss what I don't look for, currently :) and I'm sure that'll change in a handfull of years.