the egotistical little bastard. :?

Weather you like it or not, is a preference thing. I could
keep watching it, and just get more and more frustrated
with the anime, or I could walk away and pretend that the
damn thing doesn't exist. I just happen to prefer the latter. :P :wink:
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I thought the ending for the live action movies was more of a let down....
Light's constantly 5 steps ahead of L, and then in the end, he just flubs up for no reason at all? I can't imagine that the pressure got to him. I can't imagine that the guilt got to him - he didn't seem bothered after using it to kill his girlfriend. And then Ryuk just decides to kill Light because he's getting bored? Whaa....?!
I think the big draw for Death Note, stateside, is that it really appeals to the emo crowd. They buy their shirts in Hot Topics and then wear them to the conventions. Or they bring their "Official Death Note notebook" with them to the conventions and have the artists write their names in it.

I'd be a little creeped out to write my name in a Death Note notebook.... :hurt:
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Gonzai wrote: I could
keep watching it, and just get more and more frustrated
with the anime, or I could walk away and pretend that the
damn thing doesn't exist. I just happen to prefer the latter. :P :wink:
:rollin Gonzai you're killin' me :rollin
Eternal Squall
Kamisama - God

Re: Ok - so yeah, I tried

Post by Eternal Squall »

Gonzai wrote:Have any of you guys stopped watching an anime just because
you dislike a character??
I try to stick it out with everything I start to watch. I don't like to let things go unfinished...that would be more of a peeve then watching characters I don't like. You never know if a new twist, character, or direction will change your outlook, and if it doesn't.....no harm, just a little bit more enlightened on what you rather not the next time......I can understand having to drop an anime cause the main character drives you crazy. I do not particularly like Naruto, but the supporting cast more then makes up for him.....In my opinion.....
Shampoo wrote:My only gripe w/ the DN series was how utterly disappointing the
ending was
AGREED! :(
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Some characters are intentionally annoying and they're written that way on purpose. Luke from "Tales of the Abyss" was pretty darn annoying at the beginning of the story, but there was a reason for that. It depends on if viewers could take his oubursts long enough to keep watching the show.

Kouichi in "Kurogane no Linebarrels" was written to be annoying as well. A lot of viewers couldn't take him either and I don't blame them. But he was intentionally written that way because the whole show was meant to be campy. Kouichi was just a "stupid" protagonist and not meant to be taken seriously. He was rarely ever respectable. Usually he was just simpleminded. :P
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Oh yes, life is too short to be stuck watching an anime you can't stand. Although, I'll easily admit Death Note is in my top 5 all time favorite anime but it's not for everyone. I happen to love Light. :^^:

I dropped 12 Kingdoms after 13 episodes because I just couldn't take it anymore. I hated all of the characters. I thought they were all flat and uninteresting. I almost dropped Hikaru no Go for the same reason. I finished it but I choose to try to ignore its existance. Tenshi ni Narumon is another one I couldn't attach to any character. And for a character driven anime fangirl, that's a big disappointment. :roll:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Well, after reading what others said, I decided to go back and
watch a few more episodes, in hope that other characters from
the show would make up for my intolerance of Light.

Results??

After watching 12 episodes of the show, I really don't
like any of the characters and now I am pissed even more
because I feel like I just wasted another hour and a half
of my life. :?

Thank God I recongnized this and stopped watching again
right away. At least my computer came out of it unscathed,
and most of my sanity is still in tact. :hurt:
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Not everyone can enjoy Light being evil. :D

It's very difficult watching an anime when you don't like any of the characters. Or at least it is for me.
Massacrist Manslayer
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Massacrist Manslayer »

Death Note much better when slice bread come out. :bny Wish Light kill everyone off at the end, would have made a cooler ending, seeing evil win for a change. :bow

Another series Eureka Seven -Oh god, taking a very long time to finished this damn series off- Holland should have kick renton butt out of the Gekkostate go back too grandpa an leave Eureka alone end of story.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Massacrist Manslayer wrote:for a change. :bow
Death Note ending spoiler:
Yeah...about the only time you see genuinely evil characters win is in story games and adult anime. it's sad. :D
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I wasn't going to post to this thread, but change my mind since Death Note is one of my favorite manga. I have to admit I read it twice, but didn't get through the anime. It seems to follow manga with added fanservice, so I tend to not read and watch if it's the same storyline (with a few exceptions).

I don't consider myself on the side of either L or Light - I liked them both - b/c I loved the battle of wits between them and then with Near when L was out of it. I wanted to see how long and how far Light could go without getting caught...loved the suspense aspect of it. Sorry to hear you feel like you wasted your time on it, Gonzai.

The series I can think of I didn't continue due to a character would be Red Garden and The Legend of Black Heaven. For Red Garden, I didn't care for any of the characters. I also agree with the comment about Miaka from FY. I finished the series, but only b/c I liked other characters and ignored how annoy she was. I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of right now. Usually, I have to dislike the storyline to not finish a series.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

jenn-b wrote:OMG...I just thougth of two that I could not even get through the first episode:
*Texhnolyze
*Elfen Lied

Just couldn't do it.
Awww! But I love Elfen Lied...was it because of the graphic scenes or just the story itself?

And seeing as I like Elfen Lied Graymouser it should be no surprise I loved Chobits too...they're very similar types of animes though one is so much more violent/graphic. And Chii (the main robot girl) is absolutely one of my favorite anime women because she's small chested! I mean being small chested myself I feel like anime has such unrealistic expectations with big boobs and small waists (don't get me wrong, I fall for this as much as the next guy) but it was refreshing to see a female lead who was considered desirable without looking anatomically incorrect XD
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

MidniteKitten. I have to admit I never thought about realistic anatomy, such as chest size, when watching (non-adult) anime, but I can see where that would be annoying. It's also funny that you mentioned Elfen Lied. Your right, I never got past the first episodes. Lucky I never spent any money on it since I saw it at a con. I guess different types of storylines attract different people.

I would also ditto Anime Obscessed feelings about Red Garden. I never got past the first DVD on that one.

As for Death Note, I have only seen the live action - again at a con. I did rather enjoy the cat and mouse game between Light and L. I don't know how I would feel if I saw the anime or manga. I also tend not to go for series where I cannot identify with (in some small way) or respect any of the characters. In the live action it almost seemed like Light stared out idealistic and was manipulated by Ryuk, who knew that the circumstances of having such power would result in him becoming a villain. I suspect that this was done due to time constraints and maybe because other people did not care for him being totally evil. I do not think I would enjoy watching a totally evil Light either.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Massacrist Manslayer wrote:Another series Eureka Seven -Oh god, taking a very long time to finished this damn series off- Holland should have kick renton butt out of the Gekkostate go back too grandpa an leave Eureka alone end of story.
I actually liked this series, but I have to admit, for the first ohhh 12 episodes or so, I hated Renton. The only thing that kept me watching the show that long was the mech :^^:. Sometime around episode 11 or so, the story kicked in enough to hold my interest.
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

^ It took me a while to get into E7 too, but I had someone pestering me to watch, so I kept going. In the end, I really liked the show.

One show I couldn't get past the first couple episodes is Irresponsible Captain Tylor. He was a little too, well, irresponsible (and majorly annoying) for me. X|

Melody of Oblivion was a little too strange for my taste, so I stopped around ep 5. I really like what artwork I've seen of it, but I really couldn't get into the story.