Ok - so yeah, I tried

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I haven't given Eureka 7 much of a chance so I'll try again with the knowledge it could get better. I have a friend who really likes it and we seem to like a lot of the same series. :wink: I forgot to mention another series that the characters annoyed me so bad I couldn't get past episode 4. That would be Neon Genesis Evangelion. After the stories I've heard about it since, I refuse to pick that series up again. Whiney characters. :x
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

Shampoo wrote: Looks like CB and I are the only gals on the team Light
as I totally adore his character too.
Plus he was such a cutie! :drool
Him and Ryuk are my absolute favs.
/no1
My only gripe w/ the DN series was how utterly disappointing the
ending was (never read the manga )
:roll: :roll:
You knew from the start Light was to meet his demise
since Ryuk foreshadowed it in a speech before Light became 'kira'.
But what I was not expecting was how anti-climatic
the wrap up of the series was going to be. I was expecting more
drama and not Light reduced to a sniveling, groveling idiot begging
for his life once discovered by Nate and the others.

It was so pathetic and totally out of character for him.

I really thought he was going to make some long-winded
egocentric speech about why he did what he did and then jump
off a building thus becoming a martyr to the kira followers.
It would have been more his nature considering his personality.
I actually liked the actual ending. Obviously it's subjective, but for myself that's not what I got from Light at that moment. His sniveling was him acting...something he did very very well in manipulating others. He was putting on the same show he did in Ep. 25 >
over L's body
< to get a reaction he needed out of the detectives. He was trying to get the detectives' sympathy, that's why he was screaming about being framed. As soon as he realized they already knew the truth he got...scary. Like a wounded animal, foaming at the mouth. 8O

I didn't expect an explainatory speech out of Kira, because he didn't need to justify himself. He's God. He did prove what becomes of those who question God's will, no?! X| Though it took him awhile (like 25 episodes)...heh. :wink:

And really, are you suppose to like Light? He's a complete NPD (God Complex) sociapath! It makes for a awesome fictious story character, but you don't side with them, right?! :wink:

For me, the ending would have been better if the last few episodes (those minus L) matched the first. For that exact moment as the credits ran for the last time, I think I would have had a stronger emotional reaction if Ryuk actually played a bigger part in the later episodes. Being his normal whimsical self over seeing the game. But he really vanished up until then. Had he not, that moment - the call back to Ryuk & Light's intro scene - would have had a bigger "Oh, snap!" moment. For me, anyway. :^^:

yeah, I know...reviving an old thread. Sorry. But it's new to me.
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

Keropi wrote: Kouichi in "Kurogane no Linebarrels" was written to be annoying as well. A lot of viewers couldn't take him either and I don't blame them. But he was intentionally written that way because the whole show was meant to be campy. Kouichi was just a "stupid" protagonist and not meant to be taken seriously. He was rarely ever respectable. Usually he was just simpleminded. :P
Holy cow, you are like the first person I've met who mentions this title! :) I enjoyed this anime! It was like a cross between Nadesico with it's character antics and warfare action and Maze's raunchy humor (both of which I also enjoyed). I didn't mind Kouichi, as it was his shortcomings that were the drive of the little moral undertone and initially was interested in the character because I liked his seiyuu from Princess, Princess and wanted to hear him take on a more serious, and mecha, character.

Aaannn~d to answer the original question...yup. Only ones I can think of right now that I dropped because of characters is Ayashi no Ceres (more screaming than Tamahome & Miaka) and Get Backers (to my surprise). GB surprises me because it's Canna Nobutoshi, but I just didn't like Ban!! And Sweet Jesus, I could not stand Ginji!!! 8O There was a short moment where I thought Tobita Nobuo and Dr. Jackal could see me through...almost...but no. :roll: :x Though I may watch the arc with Tomokazu Seki's character.
"Like a lonely flower, I wilt a bit. Like a lonely star, I bathe in the evening light. Then with a blank face keep murmuring to someone,
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, it was entertaining. I liked it in that respect. It amusing watching the anime producers use an intentionally campy tone and then running with it. The episode previews were hilarious too. Mamiko Noto kept using her "Anata Saitei Desu" quotes. Lol :D

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_de ... EOGDS-8082
BeautifulAlone
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by BeautifulAlone »

Keropi wrote:Yeah, it was entertaining. I liked it in that respect. It amusing watching the anime producers use an intentionally campy tone and then running with it. The episode previews were hilarious too. Mamiko Noto kept using her "Anata Saitei Desu" quotes. Lol :D

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_de ... EOGDS-8082
Ha, that shirt was awesome! :D

That actually made me think... that I haven't seen any sort of production work for this series...

/hmm

...oh, sorry to hijack your thread, Gonzai.
'Ah, I'm not lonely...'"
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

BeautifulAlone wrote:That actually made me think... that I haven't seen any sort of production work for this series...
I've seen at least nine auctions for artwork from it, but the nine auctions were back in December 2008-September 2009. Four of them were at Mandarake and the other five were on YJ. There might have been more after that.

So they are out there...somewhere.