Naruto 167 - Did the animators go on vacation?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Goldknight
RULER

Naruto 167 - Did the animators go on vacation?

Post by Goldknight »

Just curious. The anime right now is on the THE arc of Naruto vs. Pain. You'd think they'd put a lot into it being such an awesome point in the story. Until today the episodes were really well done. Then episode 167 comes out. Where were the regular animators? The art was TERRIBLE! I can see they were trying to give it an OVA or Movie like feel to it, but OMFG! How dissappointing. This was supposed to be THE episode and they totally blew it. :roll: Thoughts?
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

What?! Naruto having crappy animation?!

Tiger Mizuki is displeased!

And that bends Sasuke all out of shape!

Thankfully at least the protagonist of Naruto is always drawn well.

Honestly, I stopped watching Naruto a long time ago. Sometimes the animation is ok, but usually it's not. It hasn't been consistently good since the very early days.

Bonus image:
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

My favorite poorly drawn episode is still the waterfall
fight w/ Sasuke in the original series where Gainax did the animation

I just about died laughing at the dolphin clone-jutsu Narutos flying
thru the air!
:rollin :rollin

I'm sure I can dig up a picture if I looekd hard enough.

EDIT: OMG! LOL! Killua found it!! XD
Thats the one
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

You know what's funny? I thought about that same waterfall episode when I watched today's episode! :rollin. I swear the peolpe did both episodes. :roll:
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

yeah, i was a little dissapointed with the art quality in this episode.

It can't be that our expectations are very high because most of the previous Kyuubi appearances had better graphics, and as you said, THIS was THE episode.

But the bad graphics are not only of the Kyuubi, Pain also is poorly drawn too.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

When they rotate between the several studios that are producing the series artwork it is always a little disconcerting. :cry:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Bad Art lives forever!

Those pictures crack me up. :D
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

It was the B-team animating again. X| I just got around to watching it because I've been really sick all weekend and I must say it wasn't worth the wait. I was only interested in the last part of the episode. Then again, I hate episodes that are all about fighting. I like story and dialogue episodes. Looks like the A-team has come back for the next episode though . . . hopefully. :^^:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Well one thing I will say about that episode. They actually did do a better job than the manga at the end while inside Naruto's body as he's grabbing the seal and the 4th shows up. In the manga Naruto looks as alert as ever during that whole scene as he's asking for help and talking to the fox and then looking at the 4th. In the episode he looks wiped out and I thought that was so much more dramatic. Outside of that though......TERRIBLE! I think you're right DT. Looks like the regulars will be back for the next episode. :P

kenshikenji
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kenshikenji »

i liked the animation, some of the faces looked a little funny but the movement was awesome like in eppy 133.

the funniest thing about it was when fox naruto hammered pain in like a nail into the earth and pain just calmly asked , "do you hate me?"

:rollin

@1:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjSks6WTw_M
Killua

Post by Killua »

Dear God that animation is crappy. Did the animators have their 10 year old kids do this episode? 8O

A nice reminder of why I only read the manga now.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

The Pain getting hit in the head like a nail getting hammered was funny I will admit, but it just didn't fit with the series. It was almost like watching Tom and Jerry and a Bugs Bunny cartoon. X|

Killua

Post by Killua »

Well it was all fairly ridiculous because it made God Realm Pain look a lot tougher than he really was supposed to be. I mean...
Naruto takes him down in the end with a simple rasengan
but getting pounded into the ground with a 100 ton piece of rock doesn't destroy him? 8O
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Yep. I also didn't like that Pain had expressions. Smiling. Gritting his teeth. Pain has always been shown in the manga as calm and collected. Makes no sense what they did to him in that episode. :x

kenshikenji
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kenshikenji »

ill take this type of animation any day of the week if it provides non stop action unlike long drawn out dragonball-esque fights like when the regular animators do it. i can easily overlook weird expressions for the amount of action presented.