Other anime suggestions?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
aernath
Perv-chan
Location: Half way across the country from where I was last time!

Other anime suggestions?

Post by aernath »

Shampoo got some good responses to her question for funny or horror animes, but my husband has been wanting to watch some new anime, and his favorites were Witch Hunter Robin, Last Exile, and Samurai Champloo.
I've been out of touch for years now, so I have no clue where to even begin looking these days.

Was Afro Samurai any good? I never did see any of that but the promos before it came out.

Anyway, is there anything like WHR out there? I think my husband's watched that five or six times already.

Thanks in advance! :bny
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Like WHR? Darker than Black. Definitely. It's really, really good, and has that whole special power/secret organization thing going on.

First season is better than second, and apparently there are some OVAs out there to connect the two (since time passes between them and you're not entirely sure what happened during that time).

Funimation licensed the first season, but I'm not sure about the 2nd or the OVAs. You can stream most of the first season for free on funimation.com. They were missing the last couple episodes back when I watched it, but they might be up by now.
aernath
Perv-chan
Location: Half way across the country from where I was last time!

Post by aernath »

*writes that down*

Any more?
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

I wouldn't bother with Afro Samurai. It's well animated and has lots of action scenes, but the characters and story are a big letdown. It's a prime example of style over substance.
Black Lagoon, Baccano and Hellsing Ultimate are far better alternatives if you're looking for an action packed anime with likeable characters.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Ghost Hound

Rental Magica

I will 2nd Darker than Black
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Yume Hime
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Yume Hime »

I also agree about Darker Than Black :^^: ! The first season is excellent, I really like the 1st opening, "Howling".
But I've been really disappointed by the second season :/ ... It does not convey the same atmosphere at all...
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Yume Hime wrote:I also agree about Darker Than Black :^^: ! The first season is excellent, I really like the 1st opening, "Howling".
But I've been really disappointed by the second season :/ ... It does not convey the same atmosphere at all...
I agree with Dartker than Black also, but you might want to watch the 4 OVAs after the first season and before the second instead of after the second season like it was released. When I watched the second season, I had trouble connecting the two. Like klet said, the OVAs give the needed storyline.

I also enjoyed Ghost Hound as well. Another series with a lot of mystery and supernatural stuff going on.

Baccano was an a series that kept me questioning what was going on since the storyline jumps between 1930, 1931 and 1932 so you have to really pay attention to which year of the storyline you're in. Durarara!! or DRR had the same director and came out during the 2010 Spring season. It has a slow start, but is worth watching. I don't know if I would compare it to WHR though.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Here's a couple you could try that are similar to the ones you mentioned.

Wolf's Rain
Blood+
Hell Girl aka Jigoku Shojo
Samurai 7
Seirei no Moribito aka Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
grEenLeaFx
Kamisama - God

Post by grEenLeaFx »

Those you listed are some of my favorites. Honestly there have not been that many new shows out there that I have liked. These below are neither new or old, but he should check them out if he hasn't already.

Death Note (there has yet to be a show close to as good as this one since it aired. highly recommended)
Ergo Proxy
Fullmetal Alchemist
Speed Grapher