Bluray of Cel-based anime?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Bluray of Cel-based anime?

Post by kizu »

I've been wondering for those who have blu-ray editions of cel-based anime (not CG), was the quality a lot better? Or is there such a thing yet?

I'm kind of hoping for blu-ray editions of Rurouni Kenshin, Fushigi Yuugi, Macross, Yu Yu Hakusho and TRIGUN to replace my DVDs.... :)
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Oh Gods Nooooooes!
They are actually pretty crappy LOL!
But this is totally my opinion! I'd rent one and try it out
1st and see how you feel about it before investing
on duplicates of the shows you already own.

I recently watched Perfect Blue on blu-ray and you could
literally see every imperfection/blemish including dust, shadow
between cel layers, and random hairs that suddenly
jerked in the shots. The shadows and imperfect lines were really
the ones that got to me. So much so I stopped focusing
on the movie and was more entertained by finding
the easter eggs.
:rollin :hitting:

However, the audio was really excellent for surround
sound. But yea, I prefer blu-ray for cg shows, the colors
are alot more vibrant but definitely not the cel ones.
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

Ah I kind of figured... This is really unfortunate! :o

Well maybe Perfect Blue really didn't get any clean-ups/restoration for the Blu-ray. I know for a fact that some old VHS anime series from the 70s when they were transferred to DVD back in 2008 for their 20th anniversary came out really good with digital edits.

I really want Blu-ray now because watching dvds on my TV I see artifacts and I'm sure it will get worst as the TV resolution gets bigger. :l
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

kizu wrote:Ah I kind of figured... This is really unfortunate! :o

Well maybe Perfect Blue really didn't get any clean-ups/restoration for the Blu-ray.
Supposedly they did remaster it and clean it up for blu-ray, they
just did a really half-ass job of it. LOL! :crackup
In fact, it has some of the worse reviews for animes
put out on blu-ray :bawl
Lain is one thats been slated and delayed over and over
on blu-ray because they are having trouble w/ audio
and clean-ups, as well as code problems. So I'm guessing
w/ the older series there is alot of work involved to
gussy them up for the blu.
On a positive note, the audio on the newer animes on blu-ray
are delicious! So loud and crisp! *_*

I really want Blu-ray now because watching dvds on my TV I see artifacts and I'm sure it will get worst as the TV resolution gets bigger. :l
Ahhh me toooo! I so want a new shiney system. :drool
We still have a crt tv , its almost as old as me LOL
:rollin
But we're holdin out till we move, so less heavy
bulky things to carry and pack.
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

In my experience so far it depends on the type of series, and the care taken. Most OVAs and TV were drawn for the resolution limits of either broadcast or VCRs so they will look like low resolution moving plastic (you typically can even see "clear" regions). I actually don't mind this so much, but I know it bothers most people. Movies, for the most part, if treated well, are a different story though. If all you have seen is the DVD you will be very surprised at the amount of detail you have been missing in the backgrounds. The line art and painting is also cleaner because they knew the medium was much less forgiving. Additionally, as Shampoo indicated, if you have a pretty good sound system, you will probably find some shows worth the sound upgrade alone! :)

I would recommend borrowing or renting a TV show first to see if the imperfections in the source material destroys the sense of immersion for you. For the bigger budget movies, like Ghibli titles, you can count on them being vastly superior to the DVDs. Keep in mind though, at this point, some of the early transfers (like Perfect Blue) didn't get the care they deserve, and many are pretty much just upscales. Akira, Nausicaa, Patlabor 2, and a few others got much better treatment (even though you will still see the occasional artifact).
SSJ4JOHNJOHN
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SSJ4JOHNJOHN »

I've watched a few things on blu ray now... actually watched Blood the last vampire and dbz movie 8 yesterday =P...
and honestly i have to say i prefer the DVD with the HD upscaling from my ps3 n bravia... looks so crisp and the colour are so vibrant...
I had planned on buying everything again on blu ray, but have come to the conclusion it just ain't worth it... I would say alotta of the cgi series would be amazing tho... when ever my girl is watching Ice Age i have to admit i get a lil hypnotize with how amazingly clear it is... full HD... quite insane

But yeah def check it out for yourself

:bubbles