Winter 2010/2011 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

I think that Madoka Magika is one of the best atypical Mahou Shojo anime in the last few seasons. It definitely has a dark fantasy theme underpinning the cute and fluffy exterior design. Very adult topics including depression, suicide, and the price of power all thread through the anime very unlike most of the "light" themes of most Mahou Shoujo which often deal with maturing through the adolescent phase. I especially enjoy the futuristic setting and the Faustian storyline but hope that the ultimate storyline is not too depressing. If you can decipher the runic script (which appears to be german) running through the witch worlds, there is a lot of foreshadowing of what may happen in each episode. Kyuube is creepy and I wonder what is his true goal for the girls he converts.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, it's interesting. The way they handled it is sort like all the bad things rolled into one. I hadn't even thought about some of the bad aspects of being a Magical Girl that they used in the story.
rallihir wrote:Kyuube is creepy and I wonder what is his true goal for the girls he converts.
In the very least, Kyube seems to be rather amoral. Can't tell yet if he's actually evil. I wonder if he has a master working behind the scenes somewhere?
darksuzaku wrote:Have you noticed that Madoka's friend who became magical girl in episode 4 barely appears on the op/ed credits. I bet .....
she's the next to die......
I can't shake the feeling that something bad is going to happen to Sayaka. She might die, get badly injured or get emotionally scarred.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Now that I think about it, there are really four magical girl anime this season.

1. Suite Precure - which was a traditional shoujo magical girl anime.
http://asahi.co.jp/precure/

2. Houkago no Pleiades - a traditional magical show aimed at primarily a male demographic.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9911/Houkago_no_Pleiades

3. Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? - a parody magical girl storyline for a male demographic.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/8841/Kore_ ... ie_Desu_ka

4. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - a deconstruction of the magical girl genre
http://myanimelist.net/anime/9756/Mahou ... 8%85Magica
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Hey, that hack//Quantum turned out much better than I expected. Thank goodness they didn't use Bee Train this time.

I've seen enough slow Bee Train silent pans to last a lifetime. :D
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Now that the Spring season has begun, it's time to look back on the Winter season. Or at least the shows I watched from it:

These are my opinions only. :P

Rio: Rainbow Gate --- Stopped watching after one episode. Not my thing.

Haiyoru! Nyaruani TV --- Thought it was fair/so-so. Every now and then it was funny.

Dragon Crisis --- Liked some of it. If Ai and Maruga weren't in it I would consider this to be below average.

Kore wa Zombie desu ka --- It was something different, but I thought it was rather uneven. It was very rushed sometimes. I liked some of it.

Infinite Stratos --- I liked some of it. Too bad the girls lost their character when they weren't the main focus of the episode. I liked some of it.

Fractale --- I thought this was uneven too. I think it works a lot better when you don't think too much about the plot. If you do, you'll drive yourself crazy. I liked some of it. The emotions of the last episode were nice, but as I said you still can't think too much about it.

Level E --- Pretty funny sometimes. I liked most of it. Takehito Koyasu voiced another hilarious character.

Freezing --- This was pretty disappointing to me being a fan of the manga. I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like it either.

Yumekui Merry --- Most of it I liked. I liked the art and the characters. I didn't like the pacing however. It was too much like Casshern Sins with a lot of talking and little progression.

Gosick --- Thought the beginning was okay. I liked it a lot more as it built up its characters and background histories. I like this series. The artwork is great too. That's BONES for you.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica --- Liked this a lot. If I have a beef, it's that I wish character designs were more detailed, but it's been a fun ride.

Letter Bee Reverse --- Unfortunately...I kind of lost interest in this one. But I kept up a little with the storyline just because I was curious to see how it would be resolved.