Spring 2011 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Spring 2011 Anime Season

Post by cutiebunny »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:woh, can't believe I missed Kazue Yamamoto attendance, don't think she was even advertised for the event..
Yamamoto was mentioned on the MangaGamer blog page a couple of days before the convention. Katakura was listed as being a guest in their blog about two weeks before the convention.

The only one who was not advertised until a couple of hours prior to Saturday was Alpha. I only found out after another site updated with their twitter message. Although I had seen her work on several YJ auctions, I didn't know who exactly she was until I saw her signature.

Yamamoto & Alpha were at AX on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday, Yamamoto was initially selling pre-printed shikishi and she would draw on the back of it for $20. However, after a few people, if you gave her a blank shikishi, she would draw on that instead of the pre-printed ones. Alpha was selling a pre-printed shikishi and a file for $10. After being prompted to sketch, she decided she would, and if you gave her a blank shikishi, she'd draw on it instead of the back of the pre-printed version. Initially, on Sunday, only a couple of people lined up for Yamamoto as everyone was in the Alpha commission line. I felt bad that Yamamoto didn't have much business, and thanks to some nice people in line that were willing to hold my spot, I purchased another commission from Yamamoto. Since she wasn't busy, through a translator, we asked Yamamoto if she would be willing to do color sketches. I brought my COPICS with me, so Yamamoto used my pens and made a few colored shikishi. Once word got out that Yamamoto was willing to draw in color, a lot more people lined up for her. The Alpha commission line was nifty, and there was no set price on her artwork - it was just whatever you were willing to pay. I think most people gave her $80-$100 for the sketch. I was a bit bummed that Alpha wouldn't allow me to take a picture of her with her finished drawing, but a lot of artists are very sensitive about having their pictures taken. On Monday, since Alpha and Yamamoto were out enjoying LA, there were a bunch of pre-printed shikishi with sketches done by Yamamoto on the back of them. They were heavily discounted, so I purchased several of them. Most of the characters were either from Izumo or Angel's Feather.

I'm still a bit bummed that Katakura wouldn't draw anything but Kirakira except on Monday. But judging from what you mentioned, it looks like Katakura raised the price for his colored sketches on Saturday.

If you two go next year, let me know. It's always fun to talk to other collectors in line and at the charity auctions.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

We'll see. If I go next year I'd like to attend more than just one panel. I'll be more prepared next time. :)

I didn't know that the Deadman Wonderland OP original song went like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTbWxHIfHao

They used different lyrics for the anime Opening.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

ah man..if yamamoto have that much time on hand maybe I'll be able to somehow bribe her into drawing a color shikishi of my favor character she created, only if I went, shame on me for not been able to go..and well, I'm not familiar with Alpha, another famous gal game artist I assume?

and for sure I'll try my best to attend next year, just hopefully I'll be able to. that and I'm not much of a talker and if I do say anything it'll be kinda hard to understand lol...I wonder how many years it'll be until yamamoto shows up again.

@Keropi, its weird for some reason I thought the original song was in japanese, guess I just never paid much attention to the lyrics-_- I kinda liked the song in the video but the lyrics is not the greatest I don't think. and I hope we all get to attend next year and hopefully they're still gonna host it at LA convention center(was it 5 year a switch or 3 year? I forgot).
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I had not heard of Alpha either, but I'm not a shikishi collector or gamer so I'm not aware of these things.

I thought that Kazue Yamamoto had been to AX before. Maybe I'm just imagining it. I haven't been keeping track of it.
@Keropi, its weird for some reason I thought the original song was in japanese, guess I just never paid much attention to the lyrics-_- I kinda liked the song in the video but the lyrics is not the greatest I don't think. and I hope we all get to attend next year and hopefully they're still gonna host it at LA convention center(was it 5 year a switch or 3 year? I forgot).
Yeah, I like the song, but the original lyrics aren't its strong point. I read something about AX checking out different places for next year so their contract might be up. If it goes somewhere else next year at least I got the chance to go to LACC once before it left.

I needed that map to find Midori's table. Not sure why I wasn't able to find it. It must look like something else or there must be something unusual about it. :D
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:ah man..if yamamoto have that much time on hand maybe I'll be able to somehow bribe her into drawing a color shikishi of my favor character she created, only if I went, shame on me for not been able to go..and well, I'm not familiar with Alpha, another famous gal game artist I assume?
I think it just depends on what the artist is comfortable doing. I don't think that Yamamoto brought any color markers with her, and unless you had some or knew someone who did, she wouldn't color your shikishi. There was no bribing - it was more along the lines of "If you're willing to sketch in color, you can use my markers." Honestly, I was thinking that it was going to be run like last year - you signed up for either a colored or black/white sketch, paid the fee, and came back in a few hours to pick it up. When it came to Alpha and Yamamoto, it was more like a line up once the exhibit hall opened. On Saturday, we lined up for Yamamoto first, and then that line went to the Alpha line once she arrived and agreed to sketch. I heard that both artists were free for a good portion of Saturday, but I was at AM2 at the time, so I can't confirm. On Sunday, though, everyone lined up for Alpha and after standing in line for about an hour, our names were taken down and we had to show up at the pre-assigned time. Each person was given a ten minute block of time for Alpha to draw. Although Alpha brought a few colored markers with her, she would use yours if you brought them.

I didn't know who Alpha was, but I was familiar with her signature. I'd seen a few pre-printed shikishi on YJ sell for quite a bit, but it wasn't until I saw her pre-printed shikishi on Saturday that I realized that this was that artist. But I still ended up doing some research on her and her works before the exhibit hall opened on Saturday.

Yamamoto was a GOH at AX in 2005. Don't get too discouraged because you never know who MG will invite next year.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Steins Gate 16:

Wow...I haven't liked an anime episode that much since the last three episodes of Madoka Magica!

It's getting more and more interesting. 8O
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Steins;Gate had a slow start, but it's getting more interesting every episode. It's probably my favorite spring anime too. I haven't seen episode 16 yet, so I'm looking forward to it!
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

yeah, ep16 is pretty awesome, it made me think :D I like how the story just builds up little by little but consistently. I think around ep 4ish I got tired of the darkish theme&art style the anime gives out(still does although not as much) and thought about dropping it, but then since there wasn't that many interesting animes at the time I decided to follow through, good decision lol blue exorcist is going pretty good too I think, although it gives out this childish feeling at times and I didn't appreciate the fan service that much it's getting more interesting.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I didn't think you would be one to think of dropping it because the theme is dark. :D

I like Blue Exorcist, but I like it the least when Rin is acting childish. When he's doing cool things I like it much better. I didn't like the filler episodes too much either, but apparently they were just trying to lengthen the series so it would end where they wanted it to end. Maybe we'll get a second season if the first season sells enough DVDs/BDs.

I think I better avoid the Stein's Gate message boards until the end of the series. There are too many big spoilers from now until the series ends.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Keropi wrote:I didn't think you would be one to think of dropping it because the theme is dark. :D
well, I don't mind dark theme mixed with action like higurashi, witch hunter or batterman(is that what its called?) but I absolutely can't stand it without those such as the serial experiment lain...
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:well, I don't mind dark theme mixed with action like higurashi, witch hunter or batterman(is that what its called?) but I absolutely can't stand it without those such as the serial experiment lain...
I see. Well, I never did finish Lain so I guess I can sort of sympathize with you there. And what was that...Betterman?
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/modu ... ent&id=593

don't know whats up with that super low ratings but I liked it a lot, its even cel animation. and yeah, I skipped many eps on lain, think I fall asleep one time watching it lol
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Is anyone watching Uta no Prince? Some viewers are saying that "it's so bad that it's good".

This Uta no Prince dance Gif is funny: :D

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread. ... ost3707493
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

I dropped Uta no Prince on episode 2. I knew i was going to drop the series quite early as it's not my kind of show, but those strange eyes of the main girl made me decide quite fast..... she looks like a zombie :(
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

A lot of people on 2-chan said that her eyes looked spooky. :D

A couple viewers at Suki said they liked it because it made her look yandere. They should make her eyes look like cat eyes like Rena's and then it would be complete. :rollin

There have been a surprising number of shows that I like that are airing right now - Usagi Drop, Natsume, Nurarihyon, Sacred seven, Dantalian, Stein's Gate, Ao no Exorcist, etc. I'm going to be giving out more 7s than usual.

I like the second season of Nurarihyon a lot more than the first. The first season was just a simple setup for the second season. The tone of the story has changed too. The first season felt like they played it safe and they have a different director this time. The second season of the Nurarihyon Kyoto arc is sort of like the Kyoto arc of the Rurouni Kenshin TV series. They feel like what everything was building up to. The second season is being built up so much that it's making me wonder what the creator could possibly do after it's over. Anything after could easily feel unexciting by comparison.