Best 80's / 90's anime

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

It's hard to find references to the release dates of VHS tapes. Most of the reference materials provide the TV syndication dates. However,The Complete Anime Guide by Trish Ledoux & Doug Ranney seem to indicate that a pre-Robotech Harmony Gold release of Macross in September 1984 was the first US video. They indicate that World Events Productions' Voltron, Defender of the Universe! went into syndication in September 1984 as well, but there is no clear date for release of the VHS tape. (source: pg 180 of the 2nd Edition).

Fist of the North Star doesn't appear to have a video release in the US until September 1991 (reference: IMDb). The Complete Anime Guide lists the release date as September 1992 (pg 100 of the 2nd Edition).
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Thanks a lot to Benten and Macron for all those details, I'll put this in my records. This is always hard to collect accurate data out of living place area.

About Sparta101's list, I think about an another exciting futuristic title extremely popular in Europe : "Space Adventure Cobra" (broadcasted in south america under the "Super Agente Cobra" title). If you like guns, robots and bikinis, that may fit your requirements list.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Thanks, Sparta 101, for the vote of confidence. It’ll probably be a while yet before I put up the LoGH, but sure, I’ll let you know. And, yeah, I think all of Jushin Liger’s episodes, but one, are up on Youtube, or used to be. I bought used Japanese VHS tapes, but I don’t think that would work in the UK.

Speaking of old VHS, iceman57, I’m not sure of the month, but I have a USA released, F.H.E. Captain Harlock VHS tape from 1984.