what are some good animes to watch..

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

what are some good animes to watch..

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

since I'm not taking any interest in the current season's selections besides deadman's wonderland I'm afraid if this continues anime would loss its place in my life -_-" so I'm now looking for new titles I've not heard of previously with interesting story or lots of actions.

any suggestion anyone :) preferably anything within the last 6 years, don't want anything too out of date since I can't stand low quality graphics anymore. and anything good that's not main stream would prably be most helpful since I tends to go with the flow lol all suggestions welcomed!

thanks in advance!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Without know what you have seen already here is a list ones we have watched and enjoyed enough to add to our dvd collection.

Adventure:

Last Exile

Darker than Black

Supernatural/Horror:

Ghost Hound

Claymore

Comedy:

Lucky Star

Seto no Hanayome (My Bride is a Mermaid)

Romance/Slice of Life:

Toradora

I"s Pure
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

thanks JWR :) I really need that myanimelist website to keep track of everything I watched so far but I fear it'd take me a good day or two to edit the list :P

I've watched I's Pure, Lucky Star, Claymore, ghost hound, darker than black and last exile before and liked most of them. since I'm not too into comedy stuff I'll definitely check out Toradora, heard its good. although I think most titles here are kind of mainstream, I was wondering if there are some animes out there that's really enjoyable but got underestimated overall.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Well then here are a few off the more beaten path for you:

Kurau Phantom Memory

Stellvia

Vandred

Mai Hime

Mai Otome

Here, There, Now, Then

08th Mobile Suit Gundam Team

Shakugan no Shana

Asobi ni Ikuyo (streamed only on Crunchyroll)

Tsukuyomi Moon Phase

Lunar Legend Tsukihime

xxxHolic

Saikano

Gatekeepers

Gatekeepers 21
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I don't know. It seems tough coming up with something because what you like kinda falls into a narrow range.

And there haven't been very many dark series that have come out the last few years. It's mostly been happy-happy stuff.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

Godannar (awesome plot, battlescenes, and graphics! :wink: )

xxxHolic

Wolfs Rain

Spice and Wolf

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Kanon

Air

Angelic Layer

Bleach (yes... im slowing getting into that series)
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I saw that you mentioned that you don't like comedies, but it might help to know what kind of genre you're interested in and what type of stories you enjoy most. For example, some people like elements of romance in their anime but they hate tragic endings (or unsatisfying ones...).

I liked Kobato. It's a nice feel good anime.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Keropi....your not helping :P

@JWR, the ones on your list, I think Tsukuyomi Moon phase and Kurau phantom memory might be interesting. phantom memory I kinda stopped watching at ep3 after I finished my computer lab hour at school..need to get back to it. thanks!

@ginga123, I'm not sure what Godannar is and I've never heard of it before, will check this out first thing. the other ones are pretty main stream so I've already watched all of them...including of course, bleach, naruto and one piece every week..but I'm stopping on bleach currently, instead filler they should start a new series I think, the story builds up way too slowly I lost interest..

thanks for your suggestion :)

@cutiebunny, I like action, giant robot, romance is cool too and I love tragic endings lol I'd also love to see some kind of epic story unfold. school days and fate/stay night, kannazuki no miko, romeo x juliet and clannad are my favor titles. I hate loli. yoai, dislike too much cuteness and randomness that goes nowhere after 3eps.
Massacrist Manslayer
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Massacrist Manslayer »

Try these ones - Eden of the East, Texhnolyze, Le Chevalier D'eon, Shigurui & Mnmosyne. injoy :D
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

those are definitely good, but I've watched all of them except for texhnolyze which is another anime I've not heard of...will check this out right now. thanks man :)
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I would suggest Phantom; Requiem for the Phantom or Rainbow...popular but not sure if they are mainstream. Glass Fleet is another one. Durarara also fits your descrption, but was what I consider mainstream.

Btw, what have you checked out this season? Several only have a couple episodes so far so it is hard to judge. Based on the info you gave to cutiebunny of what you like , you might want to check out these if you haven't already from this season:

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai or Ano Hana for short.

An on Exercist

Stein Gate

I'm also watching Deadman Wonderland and so far, enjoying it.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

I haven't actually see anything from this season besides deadman, nothing seems interesting so I didn't bother to check them out. the only thing I heard was good is deadman so.

thanks very much for the suggested titles :) I've watch rainbow before and thought it was good so I'll check out the requiem of the phantom as well and glass fleet. I'll also wait on more eps for this seasons titles and see if they're good.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

your welcome! i think you might like Godannar because it falls under your action, robot, romance, and tragedy guidelines.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

Have you checked out - "When they cry"?

It satisfies your critique of not being "main-stream" & is produced/created by Studio Deen (Fate/Stay Night). Without giving too much away, think of 'clannad' but with murderous, cutesy anime girls. The main story itself finishes @ episode 4 but then it goes back to the very beginning to show it from a different character's perspective and repeats this process every 3 to 4 episodes; like an anime version of 'Groundhog day'. It is definitely one to watch a few times to catch everything with plenty of 'shock' moments.
It is up to a second seaon in Japan.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

ah thanks Quacker, I've watched both seasons and the ovas before. I am a big yandere fan so its hard to miss one of its best :)