Himajin - Get A Life

Anime characters that haunt you-Spoiler Tags have been added

Post by Gonzai »

Do you all have any characters in an anime that you sit and think
about sometimes and wonder what things could have been like
if the story would have been different.

I know this sounds corney, but I have a few, and I think about them
off and on for no particular reason.

Of course there is Sai from Hikaru No Go.
For those that have seen it, you would understand. Had Sai not
faded away, would he have finally been able to reach the Hand of
God. I so think he deserved to more than Hikaru.
Kyuuzo from Samurai 7.
The one Samurai, in my opinion,that should have been on the
top at the end. Would I have ever loved to see that final battle.
Iason and Riki from Ai No Kusabi.
Argh, this one makes me cry every time I think about it, and
expecially when I watch it. I know, I am a putz, but I would
have liked to see how there story could have ended up.
That is to just name a few, though, those are the ones that
I most think about and wonder. How about you gus?? Have
any character that you just would have loved to see how
things could have been?
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Re: Anime characters that haunt you

Post by irmgaard »

Gonzai wrote:Have
any character that you just would have loved to see how
things could have been??
Oh my, yes! /ok

I sometimes think authors have some kind of radar that lets them detect the characters I like best…and then
off them!!! :?
Let me think…

Usually it’s not a main character for me, but it is in Gundam0080, War In the Pocket. I knew going into this that Bernie Wiseman was
gonna get killed
….because that was the easiest way to
drive home that point that War is not fun and games, but a tragedy;
but… but… 8O
Gees, that character was sooo freaking lovable!!! :love2 GAH!!!
I cried buckets over that one. :bawl Why couldn’t he have lived?!
Then, after the war ended, he and Christina could have met at some Veterans’ thingy and…
*Sigh* Oh, well.

And speaking of Gundam, in the original one from the dawn of time, Garma Zabi’s
betrayal and murder by Char…
That made me HATE Char! :redhot Garma was nothing to him. Just one Zabi to
check off his list on his quest for revenge for his Father…who may, or may not have been killed by Garma’s Father.

But…but… 8O
Garma was a thoughtful and considerate person; who, though inexperienced, was very conscientious about his responsibilities; who tried to be a fair ruler of an occupying army; who had a loving relationship with his fiancée; and who thought of Char as a friend….
How different would the Zeon rule have been if
Garma had lived and matured into the caring, honest leader that he could have been??
The UC Gundams are ruined for me, ‘cause every time I see Char, all I can think is,
he deserves everything awful that happens to him because of what he did to Garma! :tongue
But enough ancient anime, how about Naruto. Leaving aside the fact that
everyone has now been resurrected in the manga,
that show has been
ruthless in killing off my favs.
Not just the big ones like
Itachi (wouldn’t it have been heartwarming if he and Sasuke could have reconciled???? :love: ),
but even the little guys like Gekko Hayate.
With his dour, deadpan expression and unhealthy pallor and cough. What a physical specimen! I thought he was a really cute way to show how some Ninjas could be in less that perfect health from illness or on-the-dangerous-job injury :hurt: .
My jaw hit the floor when
they killed him….
:puzzled Why??? Couldn’t he just
have been injured???
That would have added another level to the gag, having him cough and hobble around.

And in Bleach. I was holding my breath when it was finally shown that, surprise (not really), Ichimaru Gin
was on the side of the good guys.
I mean, of course he couldn’t be the one to
bring down the Big Bad Guy,
‘cause that’s
the Big Good Guy’s job;
but…but… 8O
Why did he
have to DIE?
Couldn’t a guy willing to
go to Hell (well, Hueco Mundo) for the woman he loved get to survive?
Whyyyyy couldn’t he have
been terribly hurt, and be nursed back to heath by Rangiku?
Lots of funny and romantic moments could’ve ensued. :kiss

You know, despite the angst, it is actually kind of fun to vent about these :D . Thanks for starting this thread, Gonzai!

But I sure do miss those lovely black spoiler bars!!! :emb

*EDIT --Ahh! They're Back! Thank you, Magician!
Last edited by irmgaard on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: Anime characters that haunt you - WARNING SPOILERS

Post by GuyvarIII »

Brandon Heat, from Gungrave comes to mind.

:badass Big Gungrave Spoilers :badass

Even when I was watching the show, I felt Brandon shouldn’t have pulled his gun on Harry. It was definitely the wrong move. He should have gone along with the takeover.
1. Brandon’s unquestioning loyalty should have been to Harry. Harry made Brandon. If it wasn’t for Harry, Brandon wouldn’t even have ended his days as some two-bit enforcer for a small potatoes bookmaking office. He wouldn’t have been reunited with Maria, and wouldn’t have met Big Daddy.

2. Big Daddy was using his “Never Betray” oath to manipulate, and take everything away from Brandon; and to continue to control the organization even after his supposed step-down from leadership.

3. Brandon would have been able to provide for Maria as the number-two guy of Millennion.

4. Maria really wanted Brandon.

5. Compared to Big Daddy, Brandon, with his loyalty and vow to protect those he loved, was the better man, and would have been a better father figure for Mika.
Even if Harry had realized that Brandon really didn’t completely betray him (because Harry wasn’t dead), his closest friend having pulled a gun on him would have led to a tense relationship.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

SPOILER... be warned
Lord Darcia and Hamona from Wolf's Rain are characters that I often reflect on. I ask myself would their situation be different if he was able to revive her from Paradise Sickness without risking the limited life of the Lunar Flower, Cheza. Why would Darcia share his alchemy data with Cher, who stole Cheza from Lord Orkham--who stole her from Darcia in the first place? Was he hoping to recreate the race of Lunar Flowers with Cher despite his motivations being mostly selfish means to get to Paradise? Would Kiba had made it to Paradise if he and the pack was not "sold out" by Lady Jaugura's spy, Hige?
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

For me it all comes back to worst "Gainax" end to a series they ever produced and that belongs to the series Mahoromatic and the second season "something more beautiful".

In second to lhe last episode Mahoro sacrafices her life by self desructing while holding the Management android Feldrance.
The final episode picks up 20 years later in which Suguru is a hardened assasain of all things android. No where is seen his former support group of school friends. Matthew the supreme being of Saint is revealed to be a duplicate/part of Mahoro and before the Saint ship leaves the galaxy splits off the part that is Mahoro back to earth to reunite and "save" the now adult Sugaru.

In the manga the story is told by Suguru's school friends mainly Miyuki in which Mahoro has been reborn as a human child (Now 20 years old) and the ending is shown with Sugaru who has been working as a commander of Vesper like his father finds while returning to the abandoned Vesper command center finds the now human Mahoro who was reborn will all her memories of Suguru intact.
Last edited by JWR on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Most of the characters that haunt me are the tragic characters or the ones that died in memorable fashion.

Code Geass:
Shirley and Euphie. Euphie went crazy after accidentally being Geassed while Shirley was tragically killed. I wonder what would have happened had they survived. I guess they were written off because there were too many characters to deal with already.
Now and Then Here and There:
Sara was one of the more tragic characters I've run across. I suppose she would have returned to Earth if she hadn't gotten pregnant.
Slave Sisters:
That was a completely depressing ending with one sister getting killed and the younger one became a psychologically detached sex slave. It was an adult anime, but always found that ending difficult to get out of my mind because of the way it was presented.
Giant Robo:
Ginrei - it wasn't only that she died, it was the WAY how she died. Ugh. Very sad.
Suika (Wet Summer Days):
Itsuki fell in love with the protagonist. Her sister who liked him as well died. Itsuki decided to spiritually exchange places with her deceased twin sister. Her sister returned while Itsuki vanished. I guess the sad story is what made it memorable, but I still feel bad for Itsuki. She felt she didn't have a right to be there after accidentally killing her sister.
The was an adult anime where the female lead killed herself, but I can't recall the name of that anime. :(
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Keropi wrote:Code Geass:
Shirley and Euphie. Euphie went crazy after accidentally being Geassed while Shirley was tragically killed. I wonder what would have happened had they survived. I guess they were written off because there were too many characters to deal with already.
I agree with those 2 from Code Geass. Although, I don't agree that
they died because there were too many characters. I think they died to push Lelouch and Suzaku even further away from each other and then bring them back together.
Let's not forget my favorite haunt from Full Metal Alchemist,
Maes Hughes. It makes me wonder how Roy Mustang would have behaved had Hughes survived.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!