TIME's Top 25 Animated Films List

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

TIME's Top 25 Animated Films List

Post by cutiebunny »

Found this on CNN today - http://www.time.com/time/specials/packa ... ?hpt=hp_c2

Time Magazine has compiled a list of animated features that are considered the best of all time. Usually, whenever I see these lists on US websites, I always groan knowing that anime films like "My Neighbor Totoro" will be, once again, neglected. But interestingly enough, some anime films make it on to the list - "Paprika", "Akira" & "Spirited Away" all make it on the top 25 list.

Your thoughts on the list?
I realize that the list is one person's opinion, rather than a list decided on by many, but, I thought some of the selections were rather odd. No Fantasia. No Beauty and the Beast. No Shrek. But yet...we have Dumbo? All of them, I thought, were much more exceptional in terms of the radical changes they made on the animation field than...well, Pinocchio. But, as I mentioned earlier, it was nice to see anime featured on the list....
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: TIME's Top 25 Animated Films List

Post by D123 »

I’m happy to see Spirited Away so high on the list :) I wish I seen more Ghibli I hate seeing them neglected too since I think there un-comparable amazing animated films, but yeah I never take these things seriously I am surprised so many newer films on the list I would think there should be more Disney classics :? and I can’t believe south park 8O ...but it was nice to see some anime recognized :)
Olivier
Kamisama - God

Post by Olivier »

I wish they explained how this ranking was made. "a system of weights and measures" they say... what does this mean ?
Snow White only ranks 13 while South Park is number 6?! That must be a joke. Sleeping Beauty and Bambi are missing, however they ranked both Toy Story and Toy Story 3, which seems redundant to me.
Only one Ghibli movie... How could they miss Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies? Japanese animation was definitely underrated.
I was happy to see the Triplets of Belleville, but I think if one French animation movie had to be part of the list they should have chosen "Kirikou" or "Le roi et l'oiseau" instead.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Yeah...I have got to say, I don't agree with the majority of their list. There are plenty of better animated, more influential films which should easily have made a 25 list. But, this list is just one person's opinion...
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

It is an American critic writing for an American Magazine, so it isn’t really surprising that the list is mostly American works (what no Czech animation?); but where are the Fleischer Brothers? And, like most of these lists, it is skewed toward more modern titles; yet it snubs Don Bluth. Like Olivier, I also can’t believe something as dated, or North American Pop-culture specific as “South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut” was placed over “Snow White”, or that “Bambi” or “Sleeping Beauty” didn’t make it… and I wish 1999’s “Tarzan” would make one of these lists.

Still, I agree that “Pinocchio” is the best animated movie of all time. Monstro’s demise is one of the most exciting things I’ve ever seen, and the scene where the child transformed into an ass and is crying for his mother as he’s being dragged off and crated up to end his days as a beast of burden…can never be unseen, or forgotten.
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

I read the list and was pretty disappointed. I do appreciate the high ranking of Pinnochio and Dumbo, but considering those inclusions I was really surprised by Bambi's absence.

Nothing by Yuri Norstein either.

Anime-wise, it was ridiculous. No Totoro? No Nausicaa? Nothing by Takahata? Not to mention all the non-Ghibli classics. Ghost in the Shell for one.
rosesleep
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by rosesleep »

I was so disappointed that Sleeping Beauty didn't make it and I really thought at least 2-3 Ghibli films would be on the list. :(
Olivier
Kamisama - God

Post by Olivier »

How about making our own Anime-Beta Top 25 animated films list?
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

About half of those I thought were very deserving. The other half made me go WTF?!! Happy to see some good anime make the list though. But a few of those really made me go eeeeh???!
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Olivier wrote:How about making our own Anime-Beta Top 25 animated films list?
oooh that's a good idea
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

GuyvarIII wrote:so it isn’t really surprising that the list is mostly American works (what no Czech animation?)
KRTEK RULEZ!
1969 - The Mole and the Green Star (Krtek a zelená hvězda)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ3LBN4QWKA
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
toonybabe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by toonybabe »

This list was really pathetic. It was just one huge advertisement for most of the crappy 3D animated films that have been released in the last 5 years. The writer threw in one or two classics just to sound legit. And no Don Bluth? Boo! :tongue