What anime makes you feel the most nostalgic?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

For me it's probably:

Ranma 1/2 1st TV season
Tenchi Muyo 1st OVA

Their soundtracks made it easier for me to remember them fondly, but those series also remind me of when I used to watch those anime with my sister. They also take me back to a certain time period in my life since I haven't watched them much of it in the last fourteen years.

I recall how big a thing it was at the time for me to be listening to Tenchi Muyo 1st OVA by hooking it up to the stereo. It sounded great because I was so used to hearing everything in mono up to that point. Then that Pioneer logo would come up on the screen and we'd sit back...ready for the anime to begin. Ah...too bad there's no Pioneer any more. :(

That Pioneer logo was like the 20th Century Fox logo before the Star Wars movie began. The logo came on before a lot of the anime I watched early on. It came on before the 1st El Hazard OVA too right?
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Re: What anime makes you feel the most nostalgic?

Post by genomexec »

Hmmm... I always get a huge wave of nostalgia when I see the stuff that got me into anime way back when.

The old Streamline anime... Akira, VHD, Wicked City.... ahhhh. And of course the Streamline promo that always showed first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsqDLFQNVrY

Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Wings of Honneamise, and the other old Manga Video anime... and the old Manga promos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2yfggi3 ... re=related
Nat.R
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nat.R »

Ranma 1/2 TV, OVA, Movies
Escaflowne TV and movie,
Lodoss War OVAs,
Cowboy bebop,
Macross Plus,
Ushio To Tora,
etc.... there is so much!
rosesleep
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by rosesleep »

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Kiki's Delivery Service
Tonari no Totoro...
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

genomexec wrote:Hmmm... I always get a huge wave of nostalgia when I see the stuff that got me into anime way back when.

The old Streamline anime... Akira, VHD, Wicked City.... ahhhh. And of course the Streamline promo that always showed first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsqDLFQNVrY

Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Wings of Honneamise, and the other old Manga Video anime... and the old Manga promos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2yfggi3 ... re=related
I don't recall the first one, but I remember the second one. Yeah...used to see those all the time. :)

Hey...someone uploaded the old Pioneer Logo Lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFUgBaQ-3mE

I think the Pioneer logo also came on before the start of the Armitage III OVA.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Kimba
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I want to say princess mononoke and inuyasha first 4 seasons.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Easily, Ranma 1/2 and Lain! :hello
Which is probably one of the many reasons why
it's our absolute fav. 2 series lol!

The music and clothing in Ranma brings me
back to when I was a kid growing up in the
late-80s/early 90s. And the cyberpunk and philosophical
jargon in Lain reminds us of the early crowd of internet users
(juuust as it was starting to turn steadily popular and mainstream)
and 1st traces of social interaction via IRCs, forums, and
the earliest online virtual reality co-op games. :o
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

EDIT: ACK!!
Double post! How'd that happen? >_<
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

Maple Town
The Noozles
The Little Koala

I remember watching the above in the 80s and 90s on Nickelodeon. It makes me feel good to watch them.

I also feel nostalgic for my early fandom years when I watch (because these are some of the first that I watched knowing what anime was):

Ranma 1/2
Dominion Tank Police
Escaflowne
Tenchi Muyo
Pokemon
Project A-ko
Roujin Z
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I still can close my eyes and visualize seeing Akira on the widescreen at the Pacific Cinerama Dome theater and just being blown away.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Anime would definately be Inuyasha. That was the first real feel good anime for me,
however, there are moments in Dragon Ball Z that will always remind me of my sons
and how we would all sit down and watch it together.

As for other animation, it would be "Watership Down". So much drama and emotions
all put together and presented so well. To this day, it is still my favorite animation
of all time.
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

Sailor Moon was pretty much my gateway into anime after I was interested in the Pokemon games (around 1999 I think) and started looking around at what was out there. I first had internet access around the same time and I met some nice people in MSN chat and got to know about the world of anime and manga. I was primarily Sailor Moon obsessed for a little while though so that series is hugely nostalgic for me.

I then got into roleplay, starting with Sailor Moon characters. I met a nice girl there under the username/character of Sailor Midnight and we had a laugh. She lived in the UK too when most other people I met were in the US. After a while she stopped coming online but I remember it was great to have a friend who I could talk about anime and manga with. We used to watch the Sci-Fi Channel's anime nights and talk about it the next day. One we both really loved was Blue Sonnet so that also brings back good memories. :)
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z, and Pokemon are definitely my most nostalgic animes. Sailor Moon was my earliest anime, and I just adored watching that show. I recently watched the English intro on youtube for the first time in literally ten years, and I almost shed a tear. So many memories came flooding back. ^_^ I remember reading in someone's gallery that when they were young they tried to do Sailor Mars' attack by putting their fingers together and trying to make fire shoot out. I had to laugh because I use to do that all the time when I was little too.

Dragonball Z was my next anime (my favorite one which has stuck with me through college hehe). In first grade I remember being the only girl running around with the boys on the playground blasting each other with Kamehamehas. Such a great time to be a kid. ^_^ I also loved coming home from school to watch the next new episode of DBZ. I remember how it took forever to get to the final battle with Frieza because Toonami kept restarting the series from episode 1 after it hit the Ginyu Force episodes. It was so frustrating, but Goku's epic transformation was way worth it. Still get chills watching that scene.

And lastly. Pokemon is my third most nostalgic anime. I have great memories of watching it with my sister at seven in the morning, eating toast and drinking our chocolate milks before school. I had such a crush on Ash back then haha. (Back when he was clumsy and funny. Not lame like today. D=).

I love these three animes so much. They were what defined my childhood. =)
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Teknoman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bS765funp0)
Teknoman was the Saban Entertainment (of Power Rangers fame) reworking of Tekkaman Blade that was shown on Sunday morning TV in Los Angeles. One of my school-bus friends recommended the show to me after he brought a couple of the snap-together models to school. It was very memorable. The Earth was under attack by aliens, who had already destroyed all our major cities; the hero was forced to fight against his own brainwashed family, and he was always afraid that his fantastic alien powers would take him over -- causing him to destroy the very people he was trying to protect (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoppW3fD6sU). I bought a few of the toys myself, and would re-enact some of the fights from the series with them.

The Guyver (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAvM7XYwbgU)
I saw it in my early teens. It was the first VHS cassette I rented from the section in my video rental store labeled, “Cult Animation”. I had watched American localized Japanese animation like Speed Racer, Teknoman, and Robotech; I used to go to the model shop, Pony Toy Go Round, in Little Tokyo, to look at the monster and robot toys; and Dragonball manga were regularly passed around on my school bus… but Bio-Booster Armor Guyver was something else -- a video cover seen out of the corner of my eye, which made me think: “That looks cool!” Its story of a young man fighting against an evil, corporately-controlled, world, its Godzilla-esc monsters, and its Grand-Guignol level, gory violence spoke to me. I identified with this show‘s protagonist. I recommended it to my friends. And Viz’s Guyver comic books, which were available at the same time, made it easy to share this story with my classmates on the long, boring, Magnet School bus commute. My friends and I found it’s highly detailed monster designs and dark lurid atmosphere cooler, slicker, and more edgy than many other contemporaneous comics and cartoons.

Orguss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECfGtSgPRhw)
The first time I saw Orguss it brought me back to my toddler days, because -- I had the toy of the main Orguss mech. When I was a tiny, little kid, my family used to frequent a local IHOP. One day, the head cook, together with our regular waiter, gave me this well made (partly metal), detailed robot toy. I always felt it must be some kind of Transformer, and that I should have been able to change it into a plane, but I could never figure out how. Fast forward to the ‘90s, I rented the U.S Renditions released tapes of Super Dimension Century Orguss, and all I could think was, “I have that toy! 8O That’s what it was!”