Fall 2011 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Fall 2011 Anime Season

Post by darksuzaku »

My favorite for this season is without doubt Fate/Zero. To tell the truth i never knew that a prequel visual novel existed until recently and i'm very pleased with what i have seen so far.

I was also waiting for the final season of Shakugan no Shana, but it has been so long that i don't have as much interest as i used to have. Of course it's still a favorite.

Mirai Nikki is one that i was waiting since long ago. Don't remember why, but it's one of the few series where i read the manga before the anime, and i really regret it now as now i'm not as impressed as i would have been without reading it (That's why i don't like to read mangas before the animes)

As for other series:
- Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai -> I'm probably dropping it on the next episode.
- C Cube -> I know it's going to become a complete harem anime... and when it becomes completely obvious i'm probably dropping it.
- Chihayafuru -> At first i found ridiculous the game about reading poems, but the first few episodes have got some nice character developments, so i'll keep wathing it for now.
- Guilty Crown -> With only 1 episode watched looks promising but it's still soon to say.
- Kyukai Senjou no Horizon -> What i'm impressed with this series is that theres still no sign of cheap fanservice.... so i'll give it a chance.
- Last Exile -> Again, only watched only 1 episode, but i kind of enjoyed the first series. Hope this one is better.
- MashiroIro Symphony -> I'm probably dropping this one in 1-2 more episodes...
- Gundam AGE -> With all the latest gundam series i have watched i first enjoyed them and then become bored with them. This one will probably follow the same pattern.
- Persona 4 -> Loved it as a game. Don't quite see it as an anime. I'm probably dropping it.
- Un-Go -> Not much of a fan of these detective series, probably dropping it.

Series that i have already dropped:
- Maji de watashi .... -> Cheap fanservice anyone?
- Maken Ki -> more cheap fanservice? and why does this one remind me so much of a recent series i can't remember?
- Ben-to -> I find the plot quite ridiculous.... If it gets better please someone tell me.
- Phi-Brain -> Puzzles everywhere for everything? superpower to resolve puzzles? No thanks.
- Hunter x Hunter 2011 -> This one i dropped it because it's just a copy/summary of the original series. What a waste.
- Kimi to Boku -> Not my style sorry :P
- Chibi Devi -> I never liked those 5 minute episode series -_-

Besides all that, i keep watching Mawaru Penguin Drum from last season, not that great of a series but still watchable. I'm also following and enjoying the Towa no Quon ova/series (only 2 episodes have been aired and they seem to take a long time between each one). And of course i loved the Mardock Scramble movie. Can't wait for the second part.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Gee...I didn't even know you read the Mirai Nikki manga darksuzaku. 8O

Yeah, the second episode of Mirai Nikki felt like it lacked urgency to me (between the two leads). I suppose that while reading the manga the reader can read it at their own pace so it's harder for the manga to pacing problems (in small spurts). I still liked the episode though. It just felt like it was lacking small parts that would have made it better.

I liked the first episode of Guilty Crown, but unfortunately it reminded me too much of the first episode of Code Geass. But I really liked the character artwork and the artwork in general.

I'm not so much into Mawaru Penguindrum, but there always seems to be just a little something that keeps me wanting to see the next episode. Usually they do something at the very end of the episode that keeps me hanging on. :)

Maken-Ki is one of the few shows currrently airing that I'm keeping track of at least slightly that I may stop getting the episodes of because there is essentially nothing for me to like about it. At least Phi Brain has Nonoha in it for crying out loud. :P A few of the other shows I'm NOT watching at least have nice artwork - even if I don't favor anything else about them.
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

darksuzaku wrote: - Ben-to -> I find the plot quite ridiculous.... If it gets better please someone tell me.
Unless you hated the first episode I'd say try the second ep. It's quite funny and the story is interesting.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I'm going to keep watching Ben-to for now.

I'm glad that Guilty Crown is supposed to be 22 episodes long because it looks like it'll be awhile before I can get into the characters. Everything started out so fast after all. :o

I heard that the Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon novel started off awfully slow, but I'm curious to see what the main plot of the story will be. I kind of like his sister because she doesn't seem to fit into any of the regular cliches of - irritating/bossy sister, perfect/precocious sister, sympathetically ill health sister or overly respectful sister.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Boku wa Tomodachi episode 3:

Okay, there goes the second significant part of the first few chapters of the manga that I liked. Darksuzaku can drop the show now. Lol :D

Unfortunately the stuff I found the most funny from the more recent chapters is the type of stuff that Darksuzaku wouldn't enjoy so that's why I said that. I'm just trying to save you some aggravation here. :^^:

It's too bad that Crunchyroll and Niconico have been experiencing anime delays recently. :(
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Keropi wrote:Boku wa Tomodachi episode 3:

Okay, there goes the second significant part of the first few chapters of the manga that I liked. Darksuzaku can drop the show now. Lol :D

Unfortunately the stuff I found the most funny from the more recent chapters is the type of stuff that Darksuzaku wouldn't enjoy so that's why I said that. I'm just trying to save you some aggravation here. :^^:

It's too bad that Crunchyroll and Niconico have been experiencing anime delays recently. :(
Well, i was almost sure to drop the series on episode 3 but there's a little detail i need to confirm, so i'll give it an small chance. ^_^
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

A little detail huh? I wonder what that is. :)

Last Exile Fam episode 2:

I'm going to have to agree with Random Curiosity's blog in that the new series has felt...somewhat empty to me so far.
It really does feel like the first two movies of the Star Wars prequels. The capital ships look great, the action is great, the special effects are good (although not smooth), but...the characters...uh. The characters feel like the weak spot. They dropped us in the middle of the war, but I can't empathize with the characters when I don't even know them well yet. The villain at this point feels like he's bad just for the sake of being bad. Why is he acting like that? How did he become that way?

The first two episodes feel like like the middle of the series instead of the beginning of it. I like the show, but it's been a little too much style over substance so far.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Could someone tell me how the second season of Bakuman is going? Are they still working on manga?

I asked someone I know who's watching it, but he's not answering.
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Yes, that's what the series is about after all. :wink:
At the end of the first season they were serialized and the first few episodes deal with them dropping in the weekly ratings while being assigned to a new editor and losing their trust in their work "Detective TRAP". Also there is a lot about the other mangaka in the story.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Thank you for explaining that! I was wondering how the story was going. I didn't know they had gotten that far.

That android/mecha scene in Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon ep 4 was pretty rapid fire and tight. I loved how they animated that scene. It's starts around the 1:27 mark here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orAI-qDcfvw
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Here comes another report :D

- I'm still very in love with Fate / Zero, but things are moving too slow. Considering the first half of the series is only 13 episodes and 6 are already aired, they should have at least killed one servant by now ;P
- Instead, i'm becoming more interested on Shakugan no Shana season 3, at least i'm pretty sure this last season is going to be better than the second one.
- I'm liking Mirai Nikki more now that more episodes hace been aired. However in this case seems they are going too fast.... Being a 26 episode series, in the first 5 they have already got rid of several candidates..... It has been so long that i read the manga that i don't really remember what goes noext.
- Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai -> I finally ended dropping it. Too many people there, the harem is now too big and the series became boring. Two tsunderes fighting each other, a teacher that looks like a kid, a little sister with a "manga" complex, mix them all together and you have some nonsense series -_-
- C Cube -> Surprisingly i'm still watching this one. Even with the harem elements seems they are more focused on the curses. But i'm not sure if this is going to work for much longer.
- Chihayafuru -> Definitely a nice show to watch, they focus not very much on the Karuta game and instead more in the characters. I hope they don't ruin it at the end.
- Guilty Crown -> I'm still watching it. Looks interesting, but as Keropi said, it has a Code Geasish style, not that it's a bad thing, but i hope this one has a better ending.
- Kyukai Senjou no Horizon -> I'm becoming more interested in this one. But it's obvious that they are compressing the plot a lot. Too many characters, too many stories, i'm having some trouble putting everything together.
- Last Exile -> I'm liking this one better that i liked the first series, at least for now.
- MashiroIro Symphony -> Dropped this one, it's everything so obvious, the typical tsundere that first hates you and then loves you, with other girls added on the mix to make the harem. -_-
- Gundam AGE -> Dropped it. Worse than previous series.... Also, the thing about the AGE system that can magically design a weapon is not my thing.
- Persona 4 -> Dropped it too, scenes that i liked when i played the game became a little ridiculous when watched as a series.
- Un-Go -> Dropped. I was right about this one. Not my style.

- Also, i finally dropped Mawaru Penguin Drum, even having watched a lot of episodes. It's not fun any more.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

darksuzaku wrote:I'm still very in love with Fate / Zero, but things are moving too slow. Considering the first half of the series is only 13 episodes and 6 are already aired, they should have at least killed one servant by now
I have doubts on the possibility of any servant being eliminated until 2/3 way because there are only seven servants and it wouldn't be that epic if just 2 or 3 servants left towards the end. on the other hand there seems to be more characters including masters, perhaps a few of them would drop out of show before any servant.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I keep hoping that the other episodes of Busou Shinki Moon Angel will pop up one of these days, but I guess it's locked up by that Japanese pay service thing. Hopefully someday I'll get to see the rest of it.

Fate Zero ----- the slowness is not really bothering me

Mirai Nikki went through that fun part of the manga. That was one of the better parts I thought. The other part I liked was near the end, but by then I'm sure a lot of people will be spoiled by accidentally running across the story's huge spoilers. There are too many people blabbing them out acting as if they're just making intelligent guesses. I feel like wringing their necks because they think they're being very funny by doing that.

Boku wa Tomodachi ---- we have gotten to the not-so-interesting later part of the manga...or at least it was less interesting to me. It looks like they're going to be eliminating the salty language from the anime since they've already skipped over the chapter where Yozora was calling Sena a bunch of names and such. Rika uses salty language too and I wouldn't be surprised that they cut out that stuff too. That might easily just make the rest of the anime kind of blah by comparison to the early episodes.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon ---- this is one of the more confusing anime I have seen lately. They assume so much from the viewer. I was hoping the villain would go into one of those long explanations as to why he is doing all that stuff, but he didn't. He just did what he did and left me very confused. And yeah....that is a hell of a lot of characters to follow. At least Code Geass introduced them over time and not all in the first five or six episodes.

Last Exile is pretty moe compared to the first series. It was nice to see some of the characters from the first series again. That brings the total to three or four I think.

Persona 4 ---- I thought the fifth episode was pretty funny. :D

Nurarihyon 2nd seaason ----- I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of the show. I like the fights and the character backgrounds are cool too. Tsurara was really cute in that last episode.

:topic

I hope the second episode of that adult anime I watched doesn't come close to having those scenes from the H-game CGs I seen. That would be kind of frightening. The pink haired girl had the worst story of the three girls I think. Wow....that was just really, really, really abusive. Ugh
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I'll join in the update of what I'm watching - my signature shows some of my favorites:

Persona 4 - so far it's interesting... haven't watched ep 5 yet...also don't play video games, but my daughter plays it.
Nurarihyon 2nd season - this season is much better than the first one. I like the character backgrounds and the added members. Plus Rikuo is much better since he is in his demon form most of the time.
Fate / Zero - it may be a little slow, but I think you are getting to know all the participants that way. I am enjoying this series.
Mirai Nikki - watching this one, but I'm behind on it.
Guilty Crown - it's keeping my interest as to what will happen next.
Bakuman 2 - this one seems to be following the manga so I'm a little behind with it as well
Deadman Wonderland OVA - this was not what I expected, ok but not great
Chihayafuru - really like this one - it is more about the characters than the game and has an underlying romantic tone to it. I just wondering if that part of it will surface or not.
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle - continuing, but may get old soon
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi 2 - nothing like love triangles while working with shojo manga :wink:
WORKING’!! - behind on this one, but first episodes seems like the first season
Kimi to Boku - series about 4 friends and random stuff - with cats thrown in during scene breaks - think Seinfield
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon - thought about watching this one...

Decided not to watch Hunter X Hunter since I heard this was a remake of the first series. I also couldn't get into Gundam Age at this time.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Keropi wrote: :topic

I hope the second episode of that adult anime I watched doesn't come close to having those scenes from the H-game CGs I seen. That would be kind of frightening. The pink haired girl had the worst story of the three girls I think. Wow....that was just really, really, really abusive. Ugh
Now you are worrying me Keropi, is it some kind of nasty Guro, what series are we talking about? :crackup :dlook :flasher: :advisory: