The Offcial Recommend Lee an Anime Thread

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

The Offcial Recommend Lee an Anime Thread

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

*JK* :D

but I remember opening a thread like this some months back and can't seem to find it..anyways I get a few days off from work and school so thought I could get a few interested series.

I am looking for a few good series/ova/movie that's made within the past 2 years. mainly action and adventure but mostly anything good/interesting will do. anyone care to suggest anything?

thanks in advance :)
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: The Offcial Recommend Lee an Anime Thread

Post by JWR »

There are a few I can recomend. When you say ones from the last 2 years are you asking for ones shown during that time in Japan and available here via streaming sites like crunchyroll or torrent sites or is ones out on dvd's with the inherant delay from Japan to USA dvd/Blueray.

Some we have enjoyed via crunchyroll I can recomend would be Gosick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosick (Complete on crunchyroll)
Otome Youkai Zakuro http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otome_Y%C5%8Dkai_Zakuro (complete on crunchyroll)
Nichijou http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichijou (up to ep 22 on crunchyroll)

A few out recentyly on DVD.

Shingofumi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigofumi: ... e_Departed
Sgt Frog http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Frog
Spice & Wolf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_and_Wolf (just got the season 2 box to enjoy this weekend)
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

JWR wrote:There are a few I can recomend. When you say ones from the last 2 years are you asking for ones shown during that time in Japan and available here via streaming sites like crunchyroll or torrent sites
Thanks JWR! and I meant the anime that aired for the past two years excluding the current season and past 1 season in Japan so crunchyroll and torrent date would be correct. I liked Otome youkai zakuro a lot since its pretty funny with some action so I'll definitely out Gosick. I'll check out nichijou too, but I will wait until its finished first.

thanks again :)
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Some of the best anime of this year:

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (drama)
Blue Exorcist (action comedy, still airing)
C (action)
Deadman Wonderland (action, VERY explicit)
Level E (comedy)
Mawaru Penguindrum (comedy fantasy, still airing)
Nichijou (comedy)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (action fantasy drama)
Steins;Gate (sci-fi comedy drama, still airing)
Tiger & Bunny (action comedy, still airing)

I haven't seen much anime from last year (Fall was the first season I started watching currently airing shows), but my favorites include:
Angel Beats! (action fantasy)
Durarara!! (action)
Arakawa Under The Bridge (comedy)
Squid Girl Ika Musume (comedy)
The World God Only Knows (comedy romance)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Let us know how it turns out. :D
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Yupa wrote:Some of the best anime of this year:

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (drama)
Blue Exorcist (action comedy, still airing)
C (action)
Deadman Wonderland (action, VERY explicit)
Level E (comedy)
Mawaru Penguindrum (comedy fantasy, still airing)
Nichijou (comedy)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (action fantasy drama)
Steins;Gate (sci-fi comedy drama, still airing)
Tiger & Bunny (action comedy, still airing)

I haven't seen much anime from last year (Fall was the first season I started watching currently airing shows), but my favorites include:
Angel Beats! (action fantasy)
Durarara!! (action)
Arakawa Under The Bridge (comedy)
Squid Girl Ika Musume (comedy)
The World God Only Knows (comedy romance)
Thanks Yupa :) I have been following quite a few series from current season as well as the past spring season so I've enjoyed quite a few on this list. the ones I haven not seen though are all the comedy genre so I'll be sure to check out tiger and bunny and the world god only knows.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

@keropi: well I imagine you've also watched most of the titles mentioned above eh :)

I'm currently done 20eps of gosick, plan to finish today and start on Yupa's suggestions. I like the mystery theme of the anime, but so annoyed by the main character's childish personality so everytime he play baby I fast forward lol overall very decent anime. is there any Mystery gene from the past few years that you enjoyed?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:@keropi: well I imagine you've also watched most of the titles mentioned above eh :)
Most of them yeah. I didn't finish all of them though. Some of them I wasn't able to get into, but we all have different tastes right? Usually the anime I finish need to either entertain me somehow or make me feel sympathetic with the characters and what they are trying to do. If a show has none of these then I usually stop watching it.

I started compiling a list of my favorite anime from the last two years, but quickly realized that it would have been about the same as the anime already mentioned so I stopped.
I'm currently done 20eps of gosick, plan to finish today and start on Yupa's suggestions. I like the mystery theme of the anime, but so annoyed by the main character's childish personality so everytime he play baby I fast forward lol overall very decent anime.
I was kind of hoping that her attitude would improve a little over time and it did. Then she started acting up again so I kind of had enough of her by that point. :D

I'll see about getting back to it someday. The first closing song and Victorique's seiyuu (Aoi Yuki) are still awesome however. :D
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Keropi wrote:Some of them I wasn't able to get into, but we all have different tastes right? Usually the anime I finish need to either entertain me somehow or make me feel sympathetic with the characters and what they are trying to do. If a show has none of these then I usually stop watching it.
you pretty much summed it up for me as well. although my daily dose of anime intake is serious not healthy-_- that and for the past week I have been addicted to star ocean the last hope on xbox until when its time to switch to second disc(won't read) damn ebayer and their used games!! just so happens I forgot to leave feedback, so was able to contact the seller right away to solve the problem lol

its horribly unhealthy since when I get passionate about something I just keep at it, its been almost a month since I last visited gym and I was even blessed with a workout buddy from back in high school too-_-"

The first closing song and Victorique's seiyuu (Aoi Yuki) are still awesome however. :D[/quote]

yeah good reminder :) I need to download the first ed mp3.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I threw away my Civilization III game because it was too addicting and I wasted too many hours of my day with it. So I have an idea what you're talking about.

Oh...that reminds me. One of the anime I liked from the last two years was "Ojiisan's Lamp":

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10500/Ojii-san_no_Lamp

It's a good anime to recommend to older viewers and those who hate moe and recent anime because it doesn't have any recent anime trappings to it.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

yeah, I'll have to go back to gym again soon. maybe I should return xbox and the laptop and get a cheaper laptop and ps3 instead..I hate the fact about switching the discs during important part of the game with no saving point, they should at least give auto save option before asking to switch disc otherwise if something happens all data is lost-_-" that and ps3 is free blueray player on TV.

first time getting you recommending something, and its pretty rare seeing that I've never heard of it. I'm getting it right now and looking interesting by the screen cap, its got this older anime style.
JWR

Post by JWR »

A couple of others that I watched a bit ago that are still up on crunchyroll that are complete.

Asobi ni Ikiyo

Fortune Arterial

Squid Girl

A few of the new ones I'm watching that just started

Usagi Drop

The Mystical Archives of Dantalian
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

I finished gosick yesterday and thought it was good, the ending was ok, maybe a bit generaic like every other romance gene out there but certainly kept me intertained :)

I'm currently up to date with dantalian and was wondering if I should check out usagi drop since it didn't look quite my type. I'll give it a try after it finished airing but for sure need to check out fortune arterial and see what thats about.

I've also heard something about Asobi ni iku yo and have seen many pvc figurines made for the main character, would like to give that a try as well.

thanks for the update!
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Fortune Arterial disappointed me, it has so many filler and so less story. If you're looking for a show about vampires, don't pick this one.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

that's interesting, when I get to this I'll see if the anime is to my taste. currently I'm watching this anime called gankutsuou and thought its really unique and interesting. the style of it is different than most anime I've seen and the story got me hooked right away... I stayed up till 4 in the morning to finish the first 12 eps lol