Anime Guity pleasures

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Anime Guity pleasures

Post by JWR »

I know that we all have certain anime shows that we love that people that know us might not expect. Sort of like an NFL Linebacker having Hello Kitty dvds.

In my case I find Excell Saga more funny each time I watch it.
If I'm feeling down nothing pulls me out of the doldrums like popping in Galaxy Angels.
I can rewatch both seasons of Spice & Wolf and not tire of it.

Well I have amitted some mine, whats some of yours?
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Kasi
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Anime Guity pleasures

Post by Kasi »

For me, I quite love the first two series of Zoids.
I otherwise never watch mecha, but somehow prehistoric beast mecha has a whole different appeal. The series probably only exists in order to sell the toys, hence the massive plot holes and such, but I enjoy it anyway. It's rather nostalgic for me actually :)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I find all anime a guilty pleasure. My wife handles the "you should feel guilty about that unhealthy interest of yours" side and I take care of the crooked smirk side, assisted now and then by a pint of good craft beer (which happily is plentiful in Cephiro).

But probably my guiltiest pleasure is Midori Days which I love as a manga and think the anime adapts pretty faithfully.
Last edited by sensei on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Oh yes, Midori no Hibi is also a guilty pleasure of mine. It's a fun show, but once you start thinking about it - watching a boy who has a girl as his right hand is a bit perverted.
Let's see... I guess Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai (My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute). Again, it's a fun show, but the idea of a brother and sister playing eroge games together is a bit... wrong in our culture. If I remember correctly
the brother tells his sister he loves her in the final episode.
I also have a habit of watching one bad anime each season with a ridiculous story, but that makes them enjoyable. From the last few seasons: Freezing, Astarotte no Omocha, Mayo Chiki.

@JWR: Is Spice and Wolf a guilty pleasure? Then count me in, it's one of my favorite shows.

EDIT: almost forgot MM! (about a masochist), Strike Witches (young girls flying around in their underwear), DearS (about a female alien race which consider themselves slaves) and last but definately not least: B Gata H Kei (about a girl who wants to... F 100 boys in high school. It's a comedy, not a hentai).
Last edited by Yupa on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

awww, Kasi kinda stole my thunder X| , call me a hidden closet Zoids fan,
but only the 1st 2 seasons chaotic century and guardian force
not a mech fan [or a model kit fan] at all but I liked this series, some cool characters happening I guess [raven]
and a somewhat decent strategic war story, you know the type, good guys vs bad guys, real original premis there :P
[okay, totally and completely embarrassed here :o ]
thanks for the post JWR, we needed to chill and smile around here these days and remember the GOOD things
about being a cel community!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Gee...I don't know. Going by the definition of it, I liked Kurogane no Linebarrels for being so over-the-top campy at times. I liked School Days for the darkness.

Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru was amusing to me just because of the way how the situation was handled.

I can't think of anything else that's too obvious. I'm sure there's something else I'm missing. I should watch funny dubs sometime. Sometimes they're so bad that they're good.
crackpot27
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

Shugo Chara, everytime someone starts to come in the room I immediately pause. I like it but I still don't wanna be caught watching it. Especially because I know one particular person who'll tease me to no end. :P Utau no Prince sama's another one that embarasses me no end, especially when someone pops in during the corny end song :sweatdrop but that doesn't stop me from watching the next episode :P
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I think one of my guilty pleasures is the 2-part OVA for Psychic Force..... mostly because it's poorly done on several levels and (something I consider a big thumbs-down fault for ANY show) it pretty much expects you to already know the story from the video games. That said, I have ALL the Psychic Force video games, including the Japanese-only releases. I also went through the anime with my cel books one day for fun and clocked the time between seeing each of my cels. I found that you see a cel of mine once every 3 minutes, on average...... and I would STILL jump to get high-grade cels from the show!

Also, years and years ago, my HUGE order of Psychic Force cels from Anime World Star was one of the things which pushed AWS over into accepting international orders and allowing foreign bidders on their Yahoo Japan auctions. Now I think they're Paypal only, but I still have the e-mails from way back then, explaining IPMOs to them. LOL I've only EVER had one other financially larger, single transaction with a cel dealer in the entire time I've been collecting.

It's Psychic Force which started my husband saying: "Why buy the cels when when you can get the DVD and have ALL the cels for $20?" ^_^
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

I like Anpanman. I don't care if it's a show for 3 year-olds. :wink:
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Digimon. Pokémon. Doreamon.

Yeah, I feel really guilty about all three of them. How many people my age get excited about a new season of Digimon? My favorite is still "Tamers" - I always liked Ruki (Rika) & Renamon. I'm still holding my breath on the new season of Xros Wars - Not a big fan of Tagiru, but I'll probably continue to watch it because Taiki/Shoutmon are a likeable duo.

Pokémon - Most anime loving adults seem to have a soft spot for Pokémon, and there are a lot of closet fans who don't like to mention that they own all the Pokemon DS games. But, despite the formulaic nature and the fact that Ash is still making the same battle mistakes after almost 15 years, I still find myself rooting for him....though, I really miss Misty and hope she'll come back to knock some sense into Ash. Iris and Dent are poor compatriots.

Doreamon - I find myself constantly drawn to anime where there is a loveable underdog, and Doreamon has one of the most loveable around. I think most people can identify with Nobita at some time in their lives, which may explain why Doreamon has been around so long.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Heh, heh. I would have to say I have at least a couple of these:

1) Zoids (new century/Zero) -- This show is downright awful by almost any plot standard, but I fell in love with the mecha :).
2) Hamtaro -- A kids' show for sure, but cute, talking hamsters are just ... funny. :o

I'm sure there are others, but for now I'll go with these two :).
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

zerospace wrote: 2) Hamtaro -- A kids' show for sure, but cute, talking hamsters are just ... funny. :o
I couldn't really think of my anime guilty pleasure, but after I read this one I knew it was mine as well. I'm guilty in the fact that I assume all animes I like are a guilty pleasure (I don't usually mention that I like anime to anyone, except to my family, and Hamtaro is the one that I don't think I'd ever mention liking to them hehe.) But oh my gosh I loved that show when it was on. Made me want a hamster for the longest time ever so I could talk to it about my day. The hamsters were just too darn cute! ^_^ And the show had a really fun GBA game that's still in my desk. xP