Winter 2012 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Re: Winter 2012 Anime Season

Post by Yupa »

Currently I'm a bit disappointed in Another. I don't really like the doll thing, but most of all it's boring.
By the way, I've never seen an umbrella with such a sharp end. ;)
Also I expected more of AnoNatsu. So far not much has happened yet just like Another, but maybe next episode...
I dropped Inu x Boku, that fox spririt guy really got on my nerves in the second episode.

The shows I do like very much are Mouretsu Pirates and Natsume Yuujinchou Shi. Also from last season: Bakuman 2 and Chihayafuru are really great.

Aquarion Evol, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, Nisemonogatari and Zero no Tsukaima F are enjoyable. I'm also still watching Mirai Nikki and Shakugan no Shana III from last season.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I don't think anything that I've watched from this season has bored me much except for Kill Me Baby. The second episode of Ano Natsu bored me some, but I liked the third episode more.

I really want to like Symphogear, but I'm having such difficulty empathizing with the characters. It makes it difficult for me to feel for what they are going through. I'd say what I feel for the most is the dynamic between Hibiki and her friend. That part's a little more tangible to me. I feel little toward Tsubasa and Kanade's situation.

Persona 4 ep 15 was hilarious. :D

I wasn't bothered by the guy in Inu x Boku, but I'm well aware that a number male viewers WERE annoyed with him. I've liked how her story has been progressing so far.

I still haven't started the fourth season of Natsume yet. :cry:
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Wow, that was a pretty good ending to Hyouge Mono. It was funny and yet dramatic all the way to the end.

Hopefully I'll be able to see the whole series subbed into English before I die.

I shed a tear for that ending. Such beautiful end-of-series music. It was so bittersweet. Ah, what a loss. :l

EDIT:

Last Exile - Fam ep 15
Some good things in this episode, but Fam was most of the bad.
Fam's eyerolling comments were very annoying. She's on a diplomatic massion and she's saying the stupidest and insulting things imaginable. At least Fam has found someone on her emotionally naive level and that's the Federation's leader. Fam can talk to her about the Grand Race, her perfect and peaceful world dream all she wants. On the other hand Luscinia has discovered another secret artifact or superweapon to use against the remaining forces.

This is turning into the Emperor's superweapons versus the Rebel Alliance and their ragtag crew.

Doesn't look like there's much hope left for the Rebel Alliance. They need a New Hope!! :D

Use the Force Luc!! No wait....don't use it. :roll:
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I for one could not wait to watched the rest of hyouge mono, I wonder if there is a way to vote for series to be subbed on certain fan sub group. as for last exile...they need to stop doing the review eps.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I'll try to watch more of Hyouge Mono when it's subbed more. I don't want to get up to a roadblock and stop somewhere and then forget what was happening.

Looks like Kill Me Baby won the BigGlobe poll for most boring Winter anime:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... 2012-anime

Looks like Guilty Crown is doing something similar to Code Geass again. Oh well, at least it's not as "deja vu" as Ano Natsu. Ano Natsu is like a reimagined Onegai Teacher from a different parallel timeline. :D
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Inu x Boku Episode 5:

Was anyone reminded of that completely, eccentric nutball from "Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai" ("We, Without Wings") Episode 7 while watching Inu x Boku Episode 5??
Both characters did similar things. They both ranted on ecchi topics and sang songs that were censored because of the lyrics.
I wonder how Crunchyroll handled that Oretachi episode. I should check that out someday.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

It seems like everything for me has fallen into these three categories:

1. Shows that make me feel like watching them right away or pretty quickly:

Another
Aquarion Evol
High School DxD
Mouretsu Pirates
Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai
Persona 4
Senki Zesshou Symphogear

2. Shows that don't compel me to watch them right away:

Amagami SS+
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Ben-To
Guilty Crown ------------- for episode 15 anyway - not too excited to see it
Last Exile - Fam
Mirai Nikki --------------- already read the manga - I liked the beginning part the most
Nisemonogatari
Recorder to Randoseru
Rinne no Lagrange
Thermae Romae

3. Shows I've lost interest in:

Brave 10
Inu x Boku Secret Service

What about you guys? How are you guys handling it?
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Shows that I really love watching every week are:
Bakuman 2 - The characters make this show so great. The romances aren't that good.
Chihayafuru - Same here, this show has some amazing characters. It shows the psychological stress in competative sports very well.
Mouretsu Pirates - Not much action but an interesting story nonetheless.
Natsume Yuujinchou Shi - This really is a rare episodic anime that can tell great stories in just 1-2 eps.

Shows that I like watching every week:
Mirai Nikki - I'd say it has gone downhill a bit, but it's still a good remake of the original manga.

Average shows that don't interest me that much, but still have something worthwhile:
Another - Finally the story sets in. I'm still annoyed that they didn't tell him everything from the start.
Aquarion Evol - Amazing animation, backgrounds and music. What this show is lacking is a serious story.
Nisemonogatari - Just like the prequel. There's lots of interesting talk, but there isn't much happening.
Shakugan no Shana III - I really like the fight scenes and the conflict between the two main characters. Unfortunately I don't know what's going on during half of each episode.

Below average shows that I might drop soon:
Ano Natsu de Matteru - Oh, come on! We've seen this harem drama a thousand times. Main girl being an alien unfortunately doesn't add anything to the story.
Black Rock Shooter - Draaaama. This is not how normal people would react. The CG battles are very random.
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou - I loved this anime during the first two episodes. Then they ran out of good jokes. Sigh, what a disappointment.
Zero no Tsukaima F - After the first season this show wasn't very worthwhile anymore. Even after three seasons the tsundere girl still acts like a b**** half of the time.

I dropped many of the returning shows: Guilty Crown, Last Exile GnF, Persona 4, Phi Brain. They had their chance to improve, but after one season I doubt it'll happen.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Lets see my report:

SERIES I'M WATCHING
------------------------

Amagami SS+ -> I'm loving it but i'm always left wanting more. I really miss old school romance series like Maison Ikokku where the characters develop during all the series.

Another -> Probably my favorite this season. Now that they have explained the reason for people acting the way they do it has lost a little of the "mystery" aura it had at the beggining but it remains being my favorite this season.

Area no Kishi -> I'm surprised that i'm still watching this one. I'm ussually not too fond of sport series unless there's a lot of character development. I'll keep wacthing it a few more weeks to see how things go.

Chihayafuru -> From last season. Now it doesn't have as much character development as it had in the beginning, but i never expected this card game they play to be so complicated. It reminds me of when i was watching Hikaru no Go or similar series. It's probably a series that i'll never watch again once it ends, but i'm still enjoying it.

Guilty Crown -> Also from last season. Don't really like how things are going in these last episodes. I have lost most of the interest i had in this series. I'll probably watch it, but i'll probably delete it afterwards.

Last Exile -> From last season. Again, i'm losing interest in this series. I'll probably finish it but it's definitely not a keeper.

Mirai Nikki -> From last season. Well, lets say the only thing i still like from this series is Yuno's yandere personality. There's not so many of these in anime series. I remember reading the manga of this one, but now i see i never read the entire thing as i don't remember anything of the last episodes.

Mouretsu Pirates -> It started very promising but i believe the climax arrived duing the last "school space tour". Don't expect much more from this series.

Nisemonogatari -> Similar to the first series but focusing more on other characters, and it DOES have a lot of sexual innuendo, which isn't really needed. Maybe they wanted to attract more audience? Well, at least it's the kind of "fanservice" that i don't consider cheap. What i really hate is the hair of the main character moving, yes, the way it moves, don't know how to explain it but anyone who has wacthed the series know what i'm talking about.

Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! -> Lets be serious, people compared this series to Usagi Drop but any resemblance is pure coincidence. Usagi Drop's plot is something you could expect to happen in real life. The situation in this series basically isn't. The first iron rule i have always known is to never break apart brothers and sisters, yet this is what the "grown ups" were planning to do at the beggining of the series. Then this college guy decides to take care of 3 children all by himself, they all flee overnight and nobody of the family does anything... Oh, and they still live on that small apartment when the girls have this big house all for themselves. Add to the mix those stupid attempts to add some fanservice to the series without being too explicit considering the girls are obviously very very underage. Don't know why i'm still watching this, probably to prove that i'm right -_-

Rinne no Lagrange -> Robot series.... I have grown a little tired of these kind of series lately. Probably i'm just waiting to know why the bad guys act the way they do before i drop it.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear -> I still like the music..... but still don't like to have the characters singing and at the same time battling against each other. Not a series i expect to watch much longer.

Shakugan no Shana 3 -> I have to say that i expected more from this last season. There's almost no character development in this season. It's almost like a nonstop battle after battle which bassically doesn't achieve anything. Well, i hope i'm mistaken.

DROPPED SERIES
-------------------

Brave 10 -> I was expecting more of this series. I liked the main girl character but that's it. Didn't see any reason to keep watching it.

Highschool DxD -> This was obviously the "all for the sake of fanservice" kind of show since the beggining. Well, at least they didn't go ridiculously censoring everything, at least in the version i watched. After a few episodes there was no need to keep watching.

Ano Natsu de Matteru -> Didn't like the idea of an Onegai Teeacher remake since the beggining. After a few episodes i didn't find any reason to keep watching it.

Inu x Boku SS -> Maybe i expected something different at the beggining and that kept me watching this series for a few episodes. Now i realize it's not my kind of show.

And all those 5 minute per episode series ..... I always drop them right away.

SERIES I HAVE NOT STARTED
--------------------------------

Black Rock Shooter TV -> Didn't like the ova. Don't know if i would like this one.
Aquarion Evolution -> Same as above, didn't like the first series. don't know if i should have a reason to like this one.

----------------------------------

So as a summary, the only really very good series i find for this season are "Another" followed by "Amagami SS"
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

darksuzaku wrote: SERIES I HAVE NOT STARTED
--------------------------------

Black Rock Shooter TV -> Didn't like the ova. Don't know if i would like this one.
Aquarion Evolution -> Same as above, didn't like the first series. don't know if i should have a reason to like this one.
I recommend skipping those anime if you didn't like the originals. Only recommended for fans of the OVA and the first series.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Shows I watch right away:

Chihayafuru – I agree with the statement this one is similar to Hikaru no Go. I really enjoy it. But they keep stringing along the possible romantic connection between Taichi and Chihaya. You just wish something would happen in that area. I can’t wait to see how they meet up with Arata again.

Natsume Yuujinchou Shi – love the interaction between Natsume and Senei, his friends, the youkai and all the predicaments they come up with for him to have adventures.

Area no Kishi – I usually like sports series, but was hesitant about this one. I’m surprised that it is keeping my interest. I’m sure I will finish this one.

Series I watch every week:

Guilty Crown – Even though Shu can be plain stupid, I have continued watching this one out of curiosity. From the preview, it looks like episode 17 could have an twist (common in anime) to make it interesting.

Bakuman – Even though I’m reading the manga (online and buying it), I still like watching this anime. Guess I just really like this series.

Phi Brain – not sure why but I have kept up with this one.

Brave 10 – I thought this would be better as well. The storyline is not that great nor are the characters...it must be the eye candy and wondering who will be the 10 members and what is the reason to gather them. I may continue only because I tend to watch shows from this era.

New Prince of Tennis – it is following the manga, which I quit reading…may continue for a while longer.

Aquarion Evol - I did see the previous series – this one is similar but not really. I agree if you didn’t like the first series, you probably won’t care for this one either.

Want to continue when I find time:

Mouretsu Pirates , Another, Mirai Nikki, Persona 4, Inu X Boku plus I need to catch up on Bleach and Naruto.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Wish I had time but for once I'm not watching anything new. I'm currently playing catchup on Bleach and Naruto Shippuuden. I'm staying up to date on Detective Conan and Hunter x Hunter 2011. BTW, I'm LOVING HxH 2011. I had no idea Gundam Seed was being redone. Is it only HD or did they change things? If it's only HD, then I won't worry about it since I have my DVDs. :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

duotrouble wrote:.... I had no idea Gundam Seed was being redone. Is it only HD or did they change things? If it's only HD, then I won't worry about it since I have my DVDs. :wink:
I have only been able to get a few GS episodes that work...green screen...and not many updates. I didn't see much of a difference in quality from those episodes, so your DVDs are probably better.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Boy, that Nisemonogatari ep 8 was really ero ecchi. I haven't seen anything like that in a non pure-H source since reading that Nana to Kaoru chapter where she had her mouth open. Lol

Mirai Nikki is getting fun again. I was laughing a lot while watching episode 20.

Speaking of laughing...Aquarion Evol ep 9 had me laughing a lot too. They are still talking about donuts and philosophy concerning holes. Very funny. It puts me in a good mood. I didn't think about the meaning of Mix's name until this. :D

Natsume is quite enjoyable. More bittersweet stories that I've enjoyed. I've got to watch that humorous sixth episode.

I've liked Inu x Boku more lately. It hasn't had anything overly annoying recently which is good. Perhaps I might be able to finish it after all.

And I'm still enjoying High School DxD for being unabashedly ecchi. At least their reactions aren't as predictable.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

did someone say...echhi?!! lol due to exp with prequel I barely scanned through the first ep and found the character dialogues meaningless(to me) and atmosphere is still weird but better than the previous...might give this another shot though lol

mirai nikki is getting to close to its end though I have a feeling that I'm gonna enjoy the last eps a lot.

and I'm enjoy high school dxd as well, brings a smile to my face :D especially the ep where there trying to find a pet.

I'm also liking the surprise offered by guilty crown and Another's plot is moving so much faster now and actually a bit intense now that the mystery is about half way solved. Last exile is really good too I really love the epic battle scenes it offers.