Legend of Korra

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Legend of Korra

Post by majinuub »

I can't believe that almost a month has past since its premier and there's not one legend of korra thread here 8O . Anyway I just love the new atmosphere this show presents. I always suspected that Amon wasn't the real antagonist in the show and my suspicions of this grew after the last episode. Lin is hands down my fav for this season. Not surprising since Toph is my fav in TLA :P .
Last edited by majinuub on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Legen of Korra

Post by cutiebunny »

My guess is because Korra isn't anime - it's produced by US and Korea.

But the definition of "anime" aside, I like it much better than its predecessor. Ang never grabbed me as a character, probably due to his age, and I felt that he was a bit too dependent on his friends. There's only so much I can stand the "Trust in friendship" mantra before I absolutely want to puke, and sadly, the first series referenced the need for friends at almost every episode. Make friends, help friends, trust friends. Lather, rinse, repeat.

So, I like Korra. She's older, fiercely independent and spunky. Can't stand Mako though, even though it seems pretty obvious to me that the series is going to ship those two together. Mako reminds me too much of Amuro from Macross Frontier with the whole "I need them both and can't choose which one to be with" complex. Amuro's attitude ruins MF for me, and I'm really hoping that Mako either chooses one or the other before it impacts how I feel about Korra as a character. I'd rather see Korra hook up with BoLin in the end, but he seems to be headed towards the sacrificial lamb role.
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Wow. There are so many things that I take issue with in this post.

Korra may not be an anime...but neither are several other series that are discussed on this board. And the amount of fluff in anime out there with rediculous plot lines...please. And I could really go on a tirade here...but I'll refrain.

I loved everything about the original series - including the fact it was a "group-oriented" series. The kids were not always supportive - they had their individual squabbles. But the creators did what I rarely see in anime - the characters grew and evolved.

That aside, I haven't brought up Korra because I haven't started the series yet! I have it in my que - I was just waiting to get my fiance caught up on the original series. I'm hoping to have some time in the next few weeks to get started on it! I've read amazing reviews and can only imagine that it will be as strong as the original.

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Don't you just want to scream, "What the f*** is wrong with you?" :bwall

That aside - I actually like the series - as do my granddaughters!! :)
majinuub

Post by majinuub »

The avatar series may not be anime but it's still one of the better animated series of this gen.
cutiebunny wrote: Ang never grabbed me as a character, probably due to his age, and I felt that he was a bit too dependent on his friends. There's only so much I can stand the "Trust in friendship" mantra before I absolutely want to puke, and sadly, the first series referenced the need for friends at almost every episode. Make friends, help friends, trust friends. Lather, rinse, repeat.
This had me rather intrigued, especially coming from a sailor moon series fan. Not trying to bash or anything but is that really the main message that came across to you at the end of the series? I'm currently trying to recall a moment when he relied heavily on his need for friends beside the failed attack on the fire nation.

I'm also gonna edit the full title my bad :D .
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

majinuub wrote: This had me rather intrigued, especially coming from a sailor moon series fan. Not trying to bash or anything but is that really the main message that came across to you at the end of the series? I'm currently trying to recall a moment when he relied heavily on his need for friends beside the failed attack on the fire nation.
Aang relies on his friends for the entire series. With the exception of air bending, Aang learns earth, water and fire bending from his friends, and usually because he's in situations where there is no alternative. His friends are the ones that keep Aang on his path by supporting him both physically and emotionally.

I think the issue of friendship differs in Sailor Moon and the first Avatar series. Yes, for the MoTD episodes, there is a formulaic "Inner/Outer Senshi attack-Tuxedo Kamen speech-SM seasonal weapon" plot. But there are many instances where Sailor Moon is alone, either physically or emotionally, and she must depend on herself. These are the episodes where I find myself drawn to Sailor Moon most because those are her defining moments. It's when she truly "grows" as a character.

Despite both characters being roughly the same age and saddled with similar responsibilities, I never got that feeling of self-reliance with Aang. And perhaps it's an issue of having seen the same concept presented in several other anime series prior to watching Avatar that ruined it for me. Yes, there were some great characters and I enjoyed the series, but I don't find myself wanting to re-watch any of the episodes over again. And for me, that's a telltale sign of finding a series (or episode) really good.

Korra's self-reliance is one of the things that I like most about the new avatar series - Yes, Korra has friends, but she is not dependent on them to the point that Aang was. She's older and can generally manage to deal with the trouble that her mouth gets her into. I like that the same approach is not being taken with her character, and I like that this particular season is darker than the last was.

And on another note, I hope I didn't offend anyone with the definition of anime being animation made in Japan (or a primarily Japanese-made product as most animation is farmed out to S. Korea & China). It's the same thing with manga. Korean manga is not called manga, but manwha. Different country of origin, different name.
Goldknight
RULER

Re: Legend of Korra

Post by Goldknight »

I'm really enjoying the new avatar series. Since Jenn and others haven't watched yet I don't want to ruin it soooooooooooooo:
I have a feeling that the whole friendship thing will come into the Korra series. You figure she struggles with Air and in the "spiritual" part of her avatar powers. You KNOW she'll need help from friends and .......cough cough.....loved ones. :wink: Aang was more spiritual and struggled with the physical. Korra is the exact opposite. While Aang relied on help from his friends for the physical I imagine Korra will rely on hers for the spiritual. Just a hunch. :sweatdrop Either way I'm really loving the new series. More "grown up" issues definitely with this one compared to Aang. The maturity is up so it's much more intense.....at least to me. What I'm bummed about is that we haven't seen an "avatar state" like we did off the bat with Aang. I really look forward to that. I'm still waiting to hear about Zuko's mother and his family. They kept giving us a little something and then BAM...leave us hanging. :bwall Give me closure!!!!! :P
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

imorca
Anime Geek

Post by imorca »

The thing I like best about Korra, that I get pretty tired of in many series (no matter the origin), is that they've characterized her as *honest and is willing to take the consequences of what that means - good or bad. None of this "oh gawds I just *couldn't say what I think because who *knows what tiny meaningless fragile thing it might destroy!" No waiting until it's too late. None of this "I don't fear dying a horrible torturous death but I'd slit my own throat before saying somebody is acting strange and we should be suspicious for fear of offending them." Very little "I trust my instincts enough to try an attack that could destroy the planet, but not enough to tell somebody I've been having dreams that mean I might turn into a lava monster."

I, too, am annoyed by the over-obvious pairing with Mako and what looks to be a preparation to sacrifice Bolin. I'm also just a bit disappointed that they only separated the story by 1 generation between Aang and Korra. But I love Tenzin and his family, & the dynamic between he & Beifong. The animation is gorgeous and the voice acting is great. Generally, I thought it was delightful surprise.
Can I capture you on a thin piece of acetate for posterity?
May I air brush you for effect?
Will you accept a layer for color correction?
~I joined as member #999~
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

How did y'all like the ending? I LOVED IT! :jump
But this was just Book one. How can they have more seasons after wrapping everything up? She's a fully realized Avatar now!
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I have to admit that I was kinda confused when they mentioned that Episode 10 was the end of the first season, but then, episode 11 came out this week. Doesn't the "end of the season" usually mean that there will be at least a couple of weeks break between one season and the next? /hmm

Confused, but, not complaining since it meant a new episode aired this week.
Anyone else slightly annoyed by the voice choice for General Iroh? Ok, I get the fact that you're Zuko's grandson, but that doesn't mean that you should have the same voice! Seriously...Iroh is some strapping young buck, not some gangly 14 year old kid. I want my Iroh to sound more like Hijikata from Hakuoki, dammit! Bark your orders, pull my...er...Korra's hair and tell her you mean business! And is anyone else seriously hoping that Iroh and Korra will hit it off..?! I mean, I like BoLin and still root for him, but I know he's headed towards the slaughterhouse sooner or later. Let Mako end up with Asami...but give Korra the stud. That's all I'm sayin'.

(counting down the days until the Iroh yaoi artwork starts popping up...) :P
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

There were 12 episodes. The last titled "Endgame". Sounds like you only saw through11?

KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

I loved it as well :)
I was very surprised the boat scene made it past the censors but man am I glad it did! What a powerful scene. I agree with some critics that it would have been interesting to see Korra handling the loss of her bending for a longer period of time but I assume that may have interfered with season 2 plans. Besides, I was surprised that she lost it in the first place (good surprised). Loved the showdown between Amon and Korra and Mako as well. Poor Mako gets a lot of hate but I like him and hopefully he redeems himself to the rest of the fanbase in season 2 XD I'd also love to see more of Bolin; he kind of got reduced to one liners in the second half of the series. Oh, and as for Iroh, his voice threw me off at first because I thought he was older than he is due to his mouth lines. If he's Zuko's grandson though he could just be in his twenties in which case the voice is fine. I adjusted to it very quickly, mostly due to his sheer awesomeness.
Gah, now to wait for season two...
imorca
Anime Geek

Post by imorca »

I thought it was too bad that they clearly had to end Amon before the end of season one, and it forced his exposition to take place anti-climactically in "Skeletons." It was such an obvious convenience. It was also a really sad convenience move to have Korra "connect with her spiritual side" by...crying. It was too fast. Understandable, as a production on Nickelodean, etc. But...just too bad it couldn't have been translated across the season break to feed the narrative more fully. Still really like the show, and the characters, and will wait with great anticipation for what's next.
Can I capture you on a thin piece of acetate for posterity?
May I air brush you for effect?
Will you accept a layer for color correction?
~I joined as member #999~
majinuub

Post by majinuub »

I'm surprised that the ending got by censors too.

Things I have to address though
1-Mako is stupid. I hope he gets less screen time in season 2.
2-It was too disappointing that Korra lost and regained her bending back in the same episode. The reason for it is understandable, but she could've gotten so much more depth over losing something she is so reliant on.
3-I agree with you cutie Zuko's voice for Iroh felt too awkward for me.
I felt the series was a bit rushed and didn't make way for character development for certain characters(Bolin being 1 of them). But I did like the series overall though despite the shortcomings. I really hope it's not true that Asumi will get less screen time.
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

On the last episode:
The story seems to get wrapped up! she got the guy, she caught the bad guy, she even got all her bending powers! What else could there really be?

from what I read half of the story will be of her traveling, so she might: *Meet Katara's other kids * run the city . . . met Zuko. . .
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.