Summer 2012 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Summer 2012 Anime Season

Post by duotrouble »

I've been so out of the anime loop lately. I have very little time to watch anything but I'm still always interested in what's out there and piling up my to-watch list. Sadly, this season doesn't look so great for me.

I'll be watching:
Code Geass OVAs - absolutely even though I doubt Lelouch will be in them much
Naruto movie - definitely even though I doubt Sasuke will make an appearance
Hakuouki OVA & prequel - probably

What about you?

Summer 2012 Anime
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Summer 2012 Anime Season

Post by Keropi »

Perhaps this might be more to your liking since it has more anime on it. If someone knows of another "poster" that came out after this one could you please post it?:

http://static.neregate.com/2012/05/nere ... ime-v3.png

These are what interests me the most based off what (little) I know about them:

Sword Art Online -------------- I heard this was good. Or at least the novels are. They are stuck in a real life RPG

Rinne no LaGrange 2 ----------- Hopefully this will be more interesting than the first season.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon 2 -- The first season ended on a somewhat decent note. This might be alright.

Yuru Yuri 2 --------------------- First season was okay.

Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse

Oda Nobunaga no Yabou ------- Guess I'll try to bear with another one of these types of stories

Campione

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica

Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouto ga Iru - I didn't like the manga. It was very fluffy, but I'll try the anime anyway

Binbougami ga ------------------- I don't remember much of it after skimming the manga. I only remember that I didn't want to read it. But I'll try it.

Love, Election and Chocolate ---- I decided not to read the manga because the anime would be coming out shortly

Dakara Boku wa H Dekinai ------ I like the manga. It's an ecchi manga like High School DxD, but I find their relationship to be rather cute. But I expect the anime to feel different from the manga because that's how it usually turns out. :(

Dog Days 2 ----------------------- The first season was bearable so I'll try the second season

Kokoro Connect ------------------ I'm looking forward to this one

Joshiraku

Ebiten

To Love-Ru Darkness OVA

Arve Rezzle OVA -------- Might be interesting

My TV series interest at this point goes like this:

1. Dakara Boku wa H Dekinai
2. Kokoro Connect
3. Sword Art Online
4. Hagure Yuusha
5. Muv Luv Alt
6. Campione
7. Love Election and Chocolate
8. Ebiten

Secondary interest in:

Rinne no LaGrange 2, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon 2, Yuru Yuri 2, Oda Nobunaga no Yabou, Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouto ga Iru, Binbougami ga, Dog Days 2, Joshiraku

Have a lesser interest in:

Jinrui wa Suitai, Tari Tari
Last edited by Keropi on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I have to agree with you, DT. Besides the ones you already mentioned (Code G, Naruto and Hakuouki) the only ones I might possibly check out are
La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia and Hagure Yuusha no Estetica only because of the artwork.

Edit**

There are a couple more on the poster Keropi posted such as Kenshin and Berserk that I'm interested in.

Maybe I can catch up on some of the series I wanted to watch from Winter and Spring. :)
Last edited by animeobsessed on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Random Curiosity has their season preview up now:

http://randomc.net/2012/06/20/summer-2012-preview/
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I agree with the comments about "Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai". Hiro Shimono makes Ryousuke sound like a fool. He did great in Baka to Test. He seems to do much better playing innocent characters and Ryousuke doesn't fit that. They changed the anime from beginning of the manga so Lisara's personality came off feeling much different. The beginning of the manga was more about the character development. I guess the anime producers were trying to draw in the viewers by adding action scenes, but I think that's going to make a later action scene feel off. Lisara's personality in the manga was difficult, vulnerable and...a bit sad. In the first episode of the anime she was only displayed difficult, bad ass and manipulative. Ryousuke came off as dumb, perverted and extremely loud. He's pretty annoying right now.

The charm of the manga has been lost...at least for me anyway.

My expectations were too high. :D

I don't think ecchi manga translate very well to anime form (lately). There are too many ways for them to go wrong.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

So far I've watched the first episode of the following:

Sword Art Online - wasn't sure about this one-looks promising
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica - had high hopes, not sure it will live up to them
Arcana Famiglia - reverse harem - like the characters
Natsuyuki Randezous - love angle on this one - with a ghost
Kingdom - tragedy in the 1st episode - have to see where it goes
Uta koi - Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu - since Chihayafuru was about karuta (cards with the poems) I was interested in the poems
Campione - another one I decided to watch after reading about it again - good start

So far, I'm these all are interesting enough to continue. Sword Art Online and Arcana Famiglia top the list. I'll see if that changes after a few episodes.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Boy, they sure air a lot of shows from Thursdays to Sundays as opposed to Mondays to Wednesdays (Pacific Time Zone). It's more lopsided this season for some reason. Just going with the shows I'm wondering about more it comes like this:

----------
Sundays:

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon S2
Jinrui wa Suitai
Chitose Get You
Oda Nobuna
Arcana Famiglia
Muv Luv Alternative
Rinne no Lagrange S2
Joshiraku
Tari Tari
Hyouka
AKB0048
---------
Monday:

Yuru Yuri S2
----------
Tuesday:

nothing
-------------
Wednesday:

Kuromajo
-----------
Thursday:

One Piece (????)
Binbougami
Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Moyashimon Returns
Eureka Seven AO
Koi to Senkyou to Chocolate
--------
Friday:

Hagure Yuusha
Kono Naka Imouto
Dakara Boku wa H
Campione
-----------
Saturday:

Kokoro Connect
Dog Days S2
Folktales From Japan
Tanken Driland
Space Brothers
Accel World
Fairy Tail

I guess they want more late night viewership by airing non-children's anime more at the end of the week and on Sunday nights. But that's just too many shows on Sundays. It's so lopsided. :wow:
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Complementing on what Keropi said, someone on the MAL forums posted this "Countdown to next episode" web:

http://countdown.mandragon.info/

The ones i'm watching this season:

Muv-Luv Total Eclipse -> Reminds me a lot of Gunparade March and i really loved that series.
Kingdom -> Looks entertaining for now but the graphics are very lacking at certain points. Too much CG.
Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi -> Not sure if i'll like this one. Got attracted because of the 100 poems that the use in Karuta (from Chihayafuru)
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate -> Looks better than the average harem anime but we will see.
Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! -> Another harem anime. Not sure if i'll like it.
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica -> If there's not too much cheap fanservice i might like this one.
Campione -> Too early to say anything about this one.....
Sword Art Online -> Finally!!! I was waiting for this one, and as far as episode 1 they seem to be doing a faithful adaptation of the light novel.
Kokoro Connect -> The premise of this anime makes me think i'll get tired of it very soon.
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II -> Never completely understood the 1st season but something makes me want to watch this series.
Tari Tari -> Looks fine for now.... I wonder if this will become some kind of K-On series or similar...
Arcana Famiglia -> 2 episodes already and they are wasting a lot of time for a 13 episode series.
Natsuyuki Rendezvous -> Looks alright, at least the plot is not very usual ^^

Already dropped a few series that i didn't mention and still waiting for a cople or 3 series to air. This summer season seems to have many more series that what we are used to, specially considering that there are still a few ongoing from the last season.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

darksuzaku wrote:Complementing on what Keropi said, someone on the MAL forums posted this "Countdown to next episode" web:

http://countdown.mandragon.info/
Wow, that's pretty neat. I hadn't seen that place before. Every season I make a list of when of when the episodes come out. I write down the first 2-4 episodes times to narrow down a time range. Then I make another list putting the titles in alphabetical order so I have a better idea what I need to do that day and when. For the episodes that come out completely irregularly I don't list days of the week or times.

I had forgotten about Hakuouki. That makes it 36 series that I have an interest in following the storyline for that still have episodes coming out. That's too many. I'm going to have to whittle that down somehow.

So far I've been the most interested in:

1. Muv Luv Alternative
2. Sword Art Online
3. Kokoro Connect
4. Hagure Yuusha
5. Campione
6. Tari Tari

I've been less interested in:

7. Dakara Boku wa H --- I'm not into the changes that they made
7. Oda Nobuna ---------- A little bit better than I thought it would be, but I wasn't expecting anything
9. Koi to Senkyou to Chocolate
9. Dog Days S2
11. Binbougami
12. Kono Naka Imouto -- I think someone already mentioned who the sister is on another board

I don't have much interest in these yet:

13. Yuru Yuri S2
13. Jinrui wa Suitai -- not really into that weird sense of humor
15. Chitose Get You

It's been going alright for me so far.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Guess I'm not having much luck with this season after all. The only shows that interest me decently and I'm enjoying so far are Muv Love Alt, Sword Art Online, Kokoro Connect and Tari Tari.

They really added a lot of fanservice to Hagure Yuusha.

Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai was changed quite a bit from the manga. What I liked in the manga does not exist in the anime.
What they revealed in the first episode changed the whole the dynamic of the story. In the manga he was willing to help her even when he would get nothing out of it. In the anime, he's helping her only to save his own life. That lowered his respectability. Lisara's personality is not presented in the same way either. She's more like a bitch in the anime.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Kokoro Connect ep 2:

I need to pay more attention to what they are saying:
I didn't notice until I watched it again that at the end of the episode when they volunteer - Taichi in Himeko's body said "ore" while Himeko in Taichi's body said "atashi". That just added another level to the joke they were doing there. :D
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I find this summer to be pretty depressing in terms of new watches. I'm still watching Hakuoki and Uchuu Kyodai, but the only new series I've picked up is La Storia della Arcana Famiglia.
While I really like Felicita as a heroine since she's so different from the same milquetoaste waife that's featured so much in reverse harem anime, I don't like the fact that they're alreardy shipping her with Liberta. I'd much rather see her with Jolly or Debito.

Despite being 3 episodes into the series, we've had 2 fillers. Really - did we need to have the "Find the lost kitty" episode that so many anime have nowadays? It really had nothing to do with the plot. The initial plot introduced is the first episode is good and it could really be handled well. I'd hate to see it be filler season until the last 3 episodes...kinda like how Hiiro no Kakera turned out to be. Maybe Famiglia is already guaranteed a second season?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I've been seeing more than the usual amount of disappointments over the translations from original sources to anime this season. Campione is too rushed and omitting a lot of material. They are skipping a LOT of material. Hagure Yuusha added a lot of fanservice to increase DVD/BD sales. Arcana Famiglia isn't getting any love either. There have been complaints and you are definitely not alone. They said that the female lead of Arcana Famiglia was made weaker in the anime too.

At least Binbougami ga is got some character development in the third episode. I wish that Nyaruko had used some.
She's got lousy personality, but some of that is because it's her coping mechanism in dealing with her lack of friends and family. :D
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Well so far the only ones to keep my attention are Campione, Kokoro Connect & Sword Art Online.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

It's still quite early but at this point my favorite six are Sword Art Online, Kokoro Connect, Tari Tari, Muv Luv Alternative, Campione and Oda Nobuna. :D

Those seiyuu in Tari Tari sing pretty well. One of them has a college degree in vocal music supposedly specializing in opera. I like how the closing animation and song changed based off the storyline of the members in the club.