Series recommendations?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Series recommendations?

Post by graymouser »

I have to admit that I have been in a bit of a slump in finding new shows I really enjoy. Most shows I have seen are okay, but it seems like there are few that grab me. I know that there are a lot of people on this board who watch a large volume of shows, so I thought I would ask for recommendations.

First of all, it has to be available in a legally licensed form . I do not download and have no interest in pirated DVDs. I lean toward dark stories, sci-fi/fantasies and shy away from romances. Still, that is only a preference and is not set in stone. I enjoy just about any type of show with a STRONG storyline/plot. I also like strong female characters. That does not mean I require a female lead, I just get really annoyed with brainless clingy females.

Some shows that I have seen in the past 5-6 years and really liked

1) Twelve Kindoms
2) Mushishi
3) Black Butler (first season, the second season ruined a perfect ending IMHO)
4) Initial D (a real surprise due to its age, artwork and car racing theme)
5) Darker than Black (first season, I felt the second season was only so-so)
6) Claymore

A few I thought that were enjoyable but not my favorites

1) Spice and Wolf
2) Rozen Maiden (some whine-y female characters such as Hinaichigo)
3) Tenjho Tenge (beautiful artwork but fan service a little over the top)

There are a few I strongly disliked. No offense meant to anyone. We all have our personal preferences.

1) Red Garden (couldn't even finish it)
2) Bleach (Did not get past second season - I am not going to waste money buying fillers when they comprise most of a season).
3) Maria Watches Over Us (just could not get into this show since it seemed to be mainly about school girl friendships/relationships)
4) Monster -
(I was really expecting to like this one. I guess I did not understand the doctor's inner turmoil. He made the correct decision to on who to operate on based on the severity of injuries and order of presentation. I fail to see how he can hold himself responsible for the actions of others; including those of his patients. I doubt that whoever wrote this ever talked to a doctor. This type of "dilemma" is something that even an mildly experienced doctor would have had to deal with a long time ago).
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Series recommendations?

Post by JWR »

Ones we have been enjoying might fit what your looking for.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - It takes the "magical girl" genre and gives it nice twist of horror.

Another - nice classic horror story

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - A romantic ghost story that has some very intense moments

Asobi no Ikuyo - (funimation release "Cat Planet Cuties/ Crunchyroll "Bombshells from the Sky) despite the sexed up titles this is actually a well thought out story of "first contact" with aliens in which none of the females fit the tipical anime troupes.

Brodacious Space Pirates (crunchyroll title) A smartly written and fun adventure
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

Thank you so much. I will check them out.
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

For a strong storyline, plot, and female character, I would strongly suggest the high fantasy epic “Guin Saga” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdCJaWI4xFQ).

For a very dark, slow, stylish sci-fi, I’d recommend “Casshern Sins” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdOubGFnfG8).
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I remember Gankutsuou as a dark sci-fi with strong plot.

for the current season I recommend fate/zero since its got female lead, somewhat dark theme and not much romance.
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

I'd highly, highly recommend Birdy the Mighty: Decode.
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

Thank you very much. That helps tremendously. I was getting rather frustrated.