Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Spring 2013 Anime Season

Post by Keropi »

Is anyone interested in any of the shows from next season?:

http://i4.minus.com/iboOuL5DzBjZow.jpg
http://anichart.net/

From what I see there, these interest me the most at first glance:

Date A Live ---------- I've read some of the manga. It has a lot of ren'ai game jokes in it. The main protaganist is nothing amazing personalitywise, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it. The main draws of the story are the girls and the action. The artwork from the preview looks good. I wish the "Date A Live" storyline could have been a little deeper. I've been following what they've been saying about the novels for months. A couple of the fight scenes sound epic, but most of the time it's just another romantic comedy with a weak protagonist. I'm really curious to see the girls when they're fighting (especially two of them in particular). Not sure if they will even be able to get to those points in the anime though. :(

Shingeki no Kyojin ----- Fighting those man eating giants should be intense. The manga was pretty creepy.

Photo Kano ---------- I've read some of the manga. The main draw of this is the quality of the seiyuu and the character designs. The girls are likable, but the storylines can become uncomfortably ecchi at times.

Devil Survivor 2 ----- These death game stories can be fun when they're done right.
Red Data Girl -------- Might be interesting.
Railgun S ------------- I look forward to seeing the manga stories animated, but concerning the stories that are NOT in the manga...I'm not so interested. :P
Hentai Ouji ---------- The manga had some pretty good parts. Unfortunately, it also had some rather silly ones too.
Samurai Bride, Azazel-san 2, Haiyore Nyaruko-san W --------- these returning shows might be decent time passers for me
Higurashi -------------Of course...though I'm usually not good at keeping up with the episodes because of its often "heavy" subject matter
Zettai Bouei Leviathan on April 6th ----- it's Gonzo. I might like it.

Other shows I see listed there:

Hataraku Mao-sama ----- I probably won't be watching this for long because I never got much into the manga.
Yahari Ore ---------------- The main characters bad attitude turned me off to the manga, but I'll still give it a shot
Aku no Hana -------------- I was never very interested in reading the manga, but I might try the anime for a bit. It does kind of sound like the "Ana Nozoki" manga doesn't it?
Dansai Bunri -------------- I read some of the manga and it didn't interest me so I'll probably pass on watching this.

It's harder for me to tell if I'll like the other shows. :shrug
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: Spring 2013 Anime Season

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

This looks like a big season...are seasons usually this big?

I'll be looking into:
Date A Live
REG Red Data Girl
Karneval(hopefully its not a yaoi focusing gene, tho it does look somewhat like one)
Joojou Senjin!!
Devil Survivor 2
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince
Singeki No Kyojin
Kakumeiki Valvrave
Suisei no gargantia
Arata Kangatari
Dansai Bunri No Crime Edge

And I have expectations for:
Samurai Bride
Railgun S
Higurashi Outbreak
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:This looks like a big season...are seasons usually this big?
Judging it historically, it doesn't seem like anything too unusual. Going only by the number of fansubwiki entries, the number of shows from the Spring and Fall seasons were:

Spring 2013 ----- 48 so far
Fall 2012 -------- 39
Spring 2012 ----- 53
Fall 2011 -------- 38
Spring 2011 ----- 52
Fall 2010 -------- 39
Spring 2010 ----- 35
Fall 2009 -------- 52
Spring 2009 ----- 51
Fall 2008 -------- 55
Spring 2008 ----- 53
Fall 2007 -------- 52
Spring 2007 ----- 58

By the time you get to the 2007-2009 anime seasons other factors come into play such as them listing more single episodes of TV/OVAs that aired over long periods of time (such as Candy Boy). Not as many of those were included in future lists so the older seasons look larger by comparison.

It should be a fun season...at least for us anyway. :D
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

That's interesting. So I guess then the interesting/meh ratio has changed lol that's a good thing too since I majorly favor specific type of shows nowadays. Now only if this trend would continue.

btw, I've noticed that many online database provided season listings started in fall 2006. Do you know a site that provides them before that?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

There's this big animation compilation here:

http://www.animated-divots.net/

Fansubwiki goes back to Fall 2004:

http://www.fansubwiki.com/Older_Seasons

Anime News Network had some previews, but they were never very thorough and they always had anime missing from their list:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/

I got frustrated with that and decided to make a couple of my own lists here:

Fall 2003 Season:
http://ikkoku.yuku.com/topic/933/New-Se ... 003?page=1

Winter 2003/2004 Season (I still have not watched any of these anime all the way through):
http://ikkoku.yuku.com/topic/925/January-2004-anime

Back then they screwed around with the scheduling right up until the last minute. There always seemed to be at least one or two shows that would be scheduled for one season and then get pushed back to the following season. You'll notice for example that Jubei-chan 2 is listed on both season lists.

Someone gave me a heart attack by listing a "Arpeggio of Blue Steel" anime on their Spring 2013 anime poster list. Seeing those World War II ships blasting away at each other would have been an awesome sight to behold! Alas...there seems to be no such anime. :bawl
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Post by BuraddoRun »

Shingeki no Kyojin sounds interesting. I'm both a fan of giant monsters and creepy shows, so it looks like a winner to me.
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Oh man, Scrapped Princess and Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien...those titles sounded so close yet so far away...apparently I still remember certain part of those days much more than other parts. and all of a sudden its 2013 lol

Its great to encounter someone who happens to keep track of things with dedication, unlike myself. Really appreciate the links and lists here, otherwise I'd probably not have the will to put up the research efforts and loss out.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Gee...notice how many of those shows from the Fall 2003 anime season are the type of shows that would appeal a little more to people outside of Japan and were better than average candidates for cable TV (or they did appear on cable TV). There was Tsukihime, Chrono Crusade, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Planetes, Peace Maker Kurogane, Gilgamesh, Full Metal Alchemist, Gungrave, Read or Dream, Gunslinger Girl, Samurai Champloo, etc. We just don't get many of those kinds of anime anymore.

We have a lot more niche anime now. Many of the anime that are produced these days are made to appeal to a smaller targeted audience. There's less overlap compared to before. :(

So Otona Joshi and Karneval are both Josei anime? That's unusual. Two Josei anime in the same season! 8-O
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Yeah, I've only watched a group of reputable anime from back then, so I'm glad to have a list here so I can go back to what I missed from way back.

From recent years there do seem to be a bunch of "trashy anime", but not nearly as bad as the adult ones lol plus just about everything has been done in the past and we all probably watched enough anime over time to develop serious resistance for similar formulas which just don't help. I wonder what direction of change we'll be seeing 5-10 years from now.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Well nearly all of the adult anime coming out now don't have much of a story. The "plot" is only about how the H-scenes came about and there's only a nice way of going about it or the evil way. There's usually nothing intriguing in the "nice" category because if they were THAT good they would just dump the H stuff and turn it into a non-adult anime. The H-anime that were adopted from games always seem to get the most extreme plot ending from the game. It's usually the complete harem storyline from the nice ones and the worst dark ending from the evil ones. It's become too predictable. If all non-adult anime were adapted this way it would become boring too, but to a lesser extent.

In the old days anime fans would trade anime VHS tapes to watch anime. You had to know someone that had tapes or connections to someone in Japan to get the tapes. We were pretty happy with whatever we got to see because we couldn't watch very much (that was a little before my time). I had to read usenet to get the earliest impressions of what was debuting in Japan. It was one person's impressions and if you didn't agree with their taste that was too bad. I could read magazines, but they might be talking about an anime that aired a year ago. Even if the anime was a year old, there was a decent chance that it wasn't fansubbed yet.

It wasn't until people started watching their anime by download around 2001 that people started thinking about anime by the season. We could watch anime sooner, but the episodes were still behind (maybe a few days or a month behind, but it could still take a few days to get the episode). I didn't get a CD drive for awhile and I didn't get cable internet until around (?)July 2002.

When I could watch anime three days after it aired in Japan I thought that was pretty amazing. In 2002, I started paying attention to the JASCII anime blog to see what anime was coming out. It was a popular early blog. I'm surprised the website is still up (you can see their archives):

http://www.jascii.org/newanime/season.php

It was cool being able to see screencaps from new anime in addition to being told what the anime was all about (usenet was only words). It gave me ideas on what I might want to watch. Reading the blog was the first time I seriously started thinking about anime coming out "by the season". I had to have the means to be able to see the anime sooner before I could start to think that way. Before, I could only think about new anime coming out individually each of them separate from each other.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by HigurashiArchives »

So far here's what is on my to watch list:

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W
Aku no Hana -- I really hope this is going to be as good as I think it is. I'm a pretty big fan of Yandere.
OreImo 2
Photo Kano
Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
Yuyushiki
RDG: Red Data Girl
Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Deja vu
Higurashi no naku Koro ni: Kaku
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

About the same for me this season as pretty much any other season.

Oreimo 2
UtaPri 2 - Pfft. First series was great. One of the only rev harems where I actually thing every man is tolerable.
Asian Rikkeden - Could be interesting

Specials - Deardrops

Movies - Detective Conan & Saint Onii-san (I really like the manga)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Random Curiosity finally has their season preview up here:

http://randomc.net/2013/03/28/spring-2013-preview/
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Is Funimation picking up more anime for streaming now or is it my imagination? Maybe it's just that before they were picking up shows that I was less interested in. This season they got Red Data Girl, Hataraku Maou-sama and Date A Live. Someone said that they will probably get Railgun S too. Is Funimation streaming really that bad? :D

No one has picked up Attack on Titan yet? There must be more involved negotiations over that title. At least Crunchyroll got Devil Survivor 2, Gargantia, Flower of Evil and Arata.

So there's Hulu and NicoNico now? NicoNico streams in 360p right? I heard that Funimation's streams are not very good. Is that true?

I haven't watched everything. I tried to avoid starting the shows I'd be very likely to drop. I've been enjoying:

Attack on Titan
Gargantia
Hataraku Maou-sama ----- I thought this was better than the manga because they included the prologue part. The voice exaggerated acting made it funnier. :D
Devil Survivor 2
Red Data Girl
Arata

I'm on the fence on:

Flowers of Evil ----- I'm not against rotoscoping, but the artwork will be limited to what the real life actor can do.
Date A Live -------- The beginning is the weakest part of this story.
Photo Kano --------- That club is annoying :roll:
Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Bride

I'm not really into these:

Zettai Bouei Leviathan ----- it's like Shukufuku no Campanella, but with younger girls and without the main male protagonist.
Cyclops Shoujo Saipu

How are you guys doing so far?
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Well, as for me, i have to say this season looks a little weak for my taste even having a lot of shows.

Promising ones:

- Shingeki no Kyojin -> I enjoyed the first episode, and i see it's a 25 episode series. Acording to what ihave read on forums it has material to go even longer than that
- Suisei no Gargantia -> Even if the plot is not completely innovative at least it's like fresh air compared to most of the titles.

Neutral:

- Aku no Hana -> I don't like the graphics at all, but looks like the plot is somehow dark. Worth to give it a try.
- Arata Kangatari -> Looks like your typical "guy travels to another world" show. Will have to see a little more to judge it.
- RDG: Red Data Girl -> mmm, this one reminds me of Ayashi no Ceres. Will keep track of it.
- Yahari Ore no Seishun Love -> If the main cast keeps with their personality like that all the show i won't be able to stand it.
- Hataraku Maou-sama! -> I guess we are talking about a comedy here. I'll give it a chance.

I see myself droping it sooner than later:

- Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge -> Curses, special weapons (killing tools). Doesn't look that much interesting, but again, too soon to decide.
- Date A Live -> Quite a silly plot we have here, or at least it looks like, but we will have to see how it goes.
- Devel Survivor 2 -> If i'm not mistaken, this is a Shin Megami Tensei game adaptation. I didn't like the adaptation for the Persona game so i'm not sure about this one.
- Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince -> 1st episode and i already think it's too rushed, not very realistic. And we are taling about a 25 episode series. Well keep an eye on it for a few episodes more.
- Karneval -> mmm, the only thing i can see for now is too many men on this series.
- Mushibugyou -> mmm, so the bad guys on this time are the insects..... Don't know if i can expect something good about this one.
- Ore no Imouto 2 -> 1st season was a watch and delete for me. I don't expect anything better thsi time.
- Photokano -> So the main guy goes everywhere (even school) with his camera. Can't expect much of this series.

Besides that i have already dropped quite a few.

From last season i'm still watching Chihayafuru 2. They are focusing almost all the time on the games, which gives fewer time for character development, but well, it's still nice to watch.