Spring 2013 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Spring 2013 Anime Season

Post by Keropi »

Based off the way the Red Data Girl male protagonist was acting in the first episode, I thought the original source for it might have been shoujo so I had to check to see what the demographic was. It's a bit harder to identify compared to most anime (it's shounen).

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love ----- yeah, I didn't like the main character's attitude, but some people are into the anime for that very reason
Hataraku Maou-sama! ------------ I'm surprised how much more I like the anime compared to the manga. The anime is just so much better - the voice acting, the music, the way they edited the scenes really added a lot compared to the manga.

Karneval is a josei series so it's not surprising that there are so many male characters (actually...are there any female characters in that show at all?). There are way fewer shoujo/josei anime adaptions than shounen/seinen adaptions and so the ones that do get adapted tend to have a lot of male characters in them (excluding magical girl/idol type anime) as of late.

Hmm...I wonder what the first shounen/seinen Magical Girl anime is?

Ah, so Funimation picked up Railgun S after all. Funimation has more shows I like from this season than Crunchyroll this time.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I haven't seen much in terms of titles this season, but I just saw the first two eps of Karneval and like it thus far. There does seem to be many male characters, since it *is* a josei type show...but I'm just fine with that. xD And there are a couple cute female characters thrown in here and there. :P Looking forward to the 3rd eps! I really like the character designs, too. It must be those red eyes. xD Love the red!!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Aku no Hana episode 2:
I'm going to drop this. It just feels too awkward watching it this way. I don't hate the animation, but I would rather watch this as a regularly drawn anime or in manga form. My third choice would be as a live action. My last choice would be watching something like this - a combination of anime and live action. The director preferred this story to be a live action production. My problem with them doing it this way is that it feels like we got the worst of both worlds. We got the limitations of animation with its low frames per second and having a harder time seeing subtle emotions on their faces compared to a live action production. Then we got the limitations of a live action production which relies on the appearance and acting abilities of its cast. The same characters doing the same thing with live people can feel like it's stretching credibility. In anime there's a certain unbelievability that I can justify just from it not being related to real people. With this anime real life people are being rotoscoped so I have a harder time accepting the things they are doing.

EDIT:

MAL signatures never update anymore. Lol
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Oh, wow. It only took several weeks for my signature to update. 8-O

Darksuzaku, by the time this season is near its end you could easily only have two or three anime that began this season. Technically you have more dropped anime than I do. A lot of my drops are OVAs that aren't really drops. I just make them put them there because I don't want them clogging up my On Hold list. I have too many on there already. :)

Valvrave is so over-the-top it's fun....or at least for me it is anyway. I'm not taking that show very seriously. :P
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Once i watched the first episode of everything i was sure this was a weak season. Now that we are on episode 3 for most series it's quite obvious.

I only have 8 series now on my watching list but it will probably become shorter soon enough -_-

Mushibugyo -> Serious candidate for drop after next episode. This plot with insects doesn't seem to go anywhere that calls my attention.
Hentai Ouji -> When i thought i was going to drop the series after episode 2, i feel like i can give this series one last chance.
Valvrave -> If this one becomes like gundam i'll drop it. It's not that i dislike gundam series but i'm tired of them.
Red Data Girl -> Acceptable plot. It's probably a watch and delete series.
Arata Kangatari -> Also acceptable plot. It's probably a watch and delete too, but you never know with this kind of series.
Suisei no Gargantia -> Favorite number 2 from this season.
Shingeki no Kyogin -> Favorite number 1 from this season.
Chihayafuru 2 -> From last season. Focuses too much on matches. In part it's good, but they aren't doing barely any character development.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I've done some catching up on Spring Season series and here's my list:

Arata Kangatari - This one is ok - wish there was more from both worlds, not just focusing on the one.
Suisei no Gargantia - This is one of my favorites.
Shingeki no Kyogin - This one can be hard to watch at times, but the story is interesting. The giants remind of a segment from Gantz.
Majestic Prince - Not sure if I will continue. The storyline has is confusing at times.
Devil Survivor 2 - still have to catch up on this one, only watched episode 1
Karneval - Have enjoyed so far.

Chihayafuru 2 -> Still enjoying this season (started last), but it is moving rather slowly.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I have also started with Valvrave. It's been good thus far...not sure how "big robot anime" cliche it's going to get, though. The beginning couple eps were good... But that was when the main character was unique with his ability... :/
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Valvrave did feel a bit like Infinite Ryvius at times. It brought back memories of that anime (although I didn't watch much of it). Someone said that Valvrave is supposed to be two seasons long, but I don't know if that's true or not. At the rate it's going, Valvrave does feel like a twenty six episode series.

Shingeki no Kyogin is my favorite this season. Hataraku Maou-sama is my second favorite. The humor is working pretty well for me with that show. I like Valvrave too. It still has that not-to-be-taken-seriously vibe to it. I've liked Railgun S so far because it's been following the manga pretty well for the most part. They haven't added much non-manga material yet.

I still like Red Data Girl. I like the music and the mythology stuff in there. Devil Survivor 2 feels a little like Evangelion at times because of the way they adapted it. I've been reading a Persona 4 parody manga. I keep thinking of the girl that summoned that fat, ugly demon with the shirt off and wearing suspenders. Lol. I'll never be able to think of summoning demons again in the same way. :D

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I've been enjoying Arata Kangatari too. It's too bad that their budget isn't big and that the anime is so short.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Railgun S has been pretty good. Now this is how I wanted the first season to be. Maybe they can adopt the current manga storyline two years from now.

Date A Live has been pretty disappointing to me. I know the original novels were not fine writing, but the way they adapted the story made the story look really mediocre overall. They don't alternate between drama and comedy well. Hataraku Mao-sama handles the drama/comedy switching much better.

What ever happened to Higurashi anyway? When is it scheduled for now?
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Currently watching:

Arata - It's Yuu Watase & I collect the manga. It's a no-brainer for me. :wink:
My Little Sister (season 2) - I enjoyed the first season so why not.

Planning to watch:
Code: Breaker
Higurashi
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!