Winter 2013/2014 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Winter 2013/2014 Anime Season

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, this season is looking rather unexciting so far. Just a bad coincidence I guess. More series that come out in the Winter and Summer seasons tend to be shorter anyway. Longer length anime tend come out more in the Spring and Fall. The longer anime have more time to develop their stories compared to the shorter ones.

I noticed that the "Hitsugi no Chaika" and "No Game, No Life" anime might come out in Spring 2014 also. 8O Oh boy. The Spring anime season looks loaded! There's a lot for me to look forward to.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

That sounds terrible-_- Well, if every single anime in the season fails to entertain, at least theres still the staple anime: hunter x hunter, kingdom and maybe toriko. How are all those cross season action genres? I'm at least hoping Magi is as great as its previous season.

I've finally started to use MAL database to keep track of the anime I've watched. Its getting way to annoying looking at a picture of anime I've watched years in the past and not sure if I've completed it or not, and the list I kept on notepad is getting too long and not in alphabet its impossible to check. I have a feeling that I've watched more than just a few hundred animes to date like I thought-_-"
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:That sounds terrible-_- Well, if every single anime in the season fails to entertain, at least theres still the staple anime: hunter x hunter, kingdom and maybe toriko. How are all those cross season action genres? I'm at least hoping Magi is as great as its previous season.
All I need is a fairly entertaining anime. I don't even need it to be that good, surprising or original. I just want something half-decent to watch and I'm not even getting as much of that this season.

The only carryovers I'm watching are Log Horizon, Golden Time and Strike the Blood. I like Strike the Blood in a fun, harem/fanservice sort of way. Golden Time is less interesting to me in the middle of it, but I haven't watched the last two episodes so maybe I'll like those eps more. Log Horizon I'm solidly enjoying. The writing is definitely above average.
I've finally started to use MAL database to keep track of the anime I've watched. Its getting way to annoying looking at a picture of anime I've watched years in the past and not sure if I've completed it or not, and the list I kept on notepad is getting too long and not in alphabet its impossible to check. I have a feeling that I've watched more than just a few hundred animes to date like I thought-_-"
Oh cool! Did you figure out those 700 adult anime that you seen? :rollin

But seriously...MAL is good. It is an easy way to check on things. I use it every day.

Arghh!! Mahou Sensou (Magical Warfare) is going down the dark path.
I was hoping they weren't going to go down THAT path, but they are. That villain is like Arata Kangatari's. They are both extremely annoying ------ Pull-Out-Your-hair annoying! Probably...Drop-This-Anime annoying. Sometimes creating hate for a villain can be too effective. :sweatdrop
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Keropi wrote:Oh cool! Did you figure out those 700 adult anime that you seen?
Did you miss a few zeros on purpose :D Honestly I think I've either seen or clicked through roughly 85-90% of all the ones I know. With few exceptions, the rest are the ones thats too obscure lol But I don't have a way to keep track of those except for title, or picture...and files of course lol Seriously though, there isn't all that many titles out their compared to regular anime so I'm not that concerned, so I haven't bothered with the adult anime at all yet.

I like the reviews on MAL, many are incredibily detailed and much better than anything I could come up with. People really take the time to write all that out, Its a good way to practice critical writing I suppose. The only thing is that I wish their score system has fractions to it. Its often hard to give a solid full number score without being overly bias overtime(8 is not the same as 8 1/2). I find myself having to round numbers between 8 and 9 too often and try to rate most things that gives me an incentive to completely finish without skipping eps a 7. Maybe I gotta to round down to 6 more often.
Keropi wrote:Arghh!! Mahou Sensou (Magical Warfare) is going down the dark path.

Arata Kangatari was incredibly annoying. It'd be a completely different story if its a SHE, but yeah some male villains could be drop the series annoying. Wonder if I'll ever get to skipping around the eps on it, if I do someday get to it.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Did you miss a few zeros on purpose :D Honestly I think I've either seen or clicked through roughly 85-90% of all the ones I know. With few exceptions, the rest are the ones thats too obscure lol But I don't have a way to keep track of those except for title, or picture...and files of course lol Seriously though, there isn't all that many titles out their compared to regular anime so I'm not that concerned, so I haven't bothered with the adult anime at all yet.
There should be at least 650 adult anime, but I know what you're saying.

I had to go through my notes and files to figure out what I had seen. I went through the anime news network anime encyclopedia too.
The only thing is that I wish their score system has fractions to it. Its often hard to give a solid full number score without being overly bias overtime(8 is not the same as 8 1/2). I find myself having to round numbers between 8 and 9 too often and try to rate most things that gives me an incentive to completely finish without skipping eps a 7. Maybe I gotta to round down to 6 more often.
I was driven to use tenths (6.10, 6.20, 6.30, etc) - mainly because I completely forgot how I felt about the adult anime that I had seen. Then I figured that I might as well rate them that way for everything. My taste doesn't change much these days so I don't have a problem rating something in small increments. I couldn't do that five or six years ago.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Wait...are you saying theres a way to rate anime on MAL with more sophisticated scores? Because I only seem to see whole numbers from 1-10.

And man, another thing I forgot to mention is their pop-up in your face ads...I don't know if its the same for everyone but it comes out quite often for me, like way to often. I don't suppose theres a way to make them less annoying...is there?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I just stick rating numbers in the Tag section of my list:

http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Terence_T

MAL prefers that you don't write notes in the Tag column, but a lot of people do it anyway. If you're one of the first to write something in the Tags column for an anime or manga it'll show up for everyone to use as a Tag option. The Mods delete the unwanted Tags later on. My numbers often show up in the manga section for new manga as a potential tag before one of the Mods delete them.

The bad part is that you can't sort by those micro ratings. You can only sort by the full number MAL ratings on your list.

I use Firefox as a browser and I use the Adblock Plus Add-on for it and I haven't seen ads on MAL for a very long time. I see some ads elsewhere - mainly the ad revenue generating DDL sites. Adblock Plus even gets rid of many of THOSE ads. It even got rid of the video ads that you need to play for several seconds before you can get a password. I was surprised about that. It's so effective that a DDL site was trying to switch ad revenue websites so that they wouldn't be blocked so easily.
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by AR-99 »

Spring season has wrapped up, here's how my picks fared:

*Kill La Kill: Left over from fall, one of the most over the top animes I've ever seen and did not disappoint.
*Magical Warfare: My least favorite of the lot, even at ep 1 I was thinking drop, but stuck with it and finished the season. The bringing your brother back to the good side premise with Mui then Takeshi didn't catch on with me and since Takeshi's brother is named Gekkou, that didn't help things.
*Nobunaga the Fool: Being by Kawamori the mecha are the stars of the series although there is a fair amount of character development. Since the first half focused on the Oda side so much it will be interesting to see if or how the second half expands the scope, which was hinted at in this week's ep 12.
*Nobunagun: While the most cartoony of them all I enjoyed this one and would watch a season 2.
*Space Dandy: I had high hopes for this as it's a Watanabe product but found the series up and down, although the final ep of this season was good. Practically all the eps are standalone and some have some weird endings, so the overall lack of continuity and coherence was a down factor.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I haven't finished everything that started this season yet, but from what I'll complete I'll probably end up enjoying Witch Craft Works, Buddy Complex and Inari Kon Kon the most. I hope that the half made-up ending to Inari is not too annoying for me.

Actually I think those are the only three that I decently liked that I'll finish. Z/X Ignition was more like a promotion for the card game. I had too many problems with ImoCho to have liked it that much.

On the other hand, from last season - at least Strike the Blood was entertaining (fanservice entertaining). Log Horizon was the most enjoyable for me from this group of shows.

And now...bring on "Black Bullet", "Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei", "Hitsugi no Chaika", "Issuukan Friends" and "No Game No Life" I'm ready to go! Guess I'll have to wait until Saturday for the earliest of these to come out. But Thursday is really when the new season will roll out in large numbers (California Time Zone).
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Nah, I didn't like that final episode of Inari. I didn't think I would.

Because of the way they presented the ending episode, it gave a very different impression for the theme of the manga. I can understand why the anime producers would end the story at that particular point in the manga, but the message just feels so counter to the manga.

Buddy Complex episode 13:
The final episode wouldn't have been half as fun without Bizon's mentally imbalanced yelling rants. ^_^

It was good fun.