Spring 2014 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: Spring 2014 Anime Season

Post by AR-99 »

Still with my picks as I don't drop series. So far here's how they're faring:

-Black Bullet: Decent and I've gotten more into the story, although MC having 3 women going after him, one of which is a 10 year, nearly caused me to drop at ep. 1.
-Date A Live II: I enjoyed the first series but so far this has been the weakest out of my picks so far. The domestic stuff and keeping Tohka happy is understandable but I enjoy the getting the spirits to trust Shido while dating them more. Then again my favorite character Kurumi has not yet made a substantive appearance.
-Nobunaga the Fool: The second half has taken a more desperate and darker turn than the first but it looks like Nobunaga will be coming back in a big way.
-Knights of Sidonia: My favorite of the lot so far after I got used to the round faces. Here too we have 3 women gunning for the MC but it comes off better than Black Bullet.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

AR-99 wrote: -Date A Live II: I enjoyed the first series but so far this has been the weakest out of my picks so far. The domestic stuff and keeping Tohka happy is understandable but I enjoy the getting the spirits to trust Shido while dating them more. Then again my favorite character Kurumi has not yet made a substantive appearance.
Yeah, Kurumi is complex. Like someone else said, she's like the ultimate boss of the series.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Selector Infected WIXOSS episode 8:
Wow, that was pretty wicked man. The anime is getting darker and more twisted. I hope they don't do a big back out from this dark stuff. :evilblk

:topic

Just a warning to everyone...unless you've read pretty far into the "Akame ga Kill" manga, NEVER image search under "Akame ga Kill". There are pretty big spoilers that pop up. The TV anime comes out in July 7th 2014. The story is really brutal on its characters. (I got to chapter 32)

I stopped reading the manga because I didn't want to see something, but the image search showed me something I didn't want to see. I seen it and started getting tears in my eyes. Aw man. :bawl
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Not sure if this falls in the season or not, but Hunter x Hunter 140
Powered up Gon was quite unexpected, why does a 12yr old all of sudden have Arnold's body and non-anime style eyes but still a kid's voice...and they say his powerful as the king all of sudden? And how long did he train to get the ability to use that power? this is like the most hard to swallow sudden development of the anime yet, its like the character just leaped out of his own character
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Sorry, I am unable to help you there the ultimatebrucelee since I'm not viewing it.

Concerning the WIXOSS TV series....I find this story both funny and sad. It says that the WIXOSS anime is so dark that it is actually REDUCING the sales of the card game.

SPOILERS FOR THE ANIME:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread. ... ost5134381

What a weird situation this is. :P

It may not be marketing the card game very well, but I am enjoying the Selector Infected WIXOSS anime so far. :)

Although it's a joke article. :D

EDIT:

It looks like Break Blade TV series might be getting to the part where the significant added scenes will be. Maybe in episode 9??
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Anime News Network announced that the Akame ga Kill anime will go for two cours in length.

That means more pain and more suffering! :D X| :bawl :D
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by AR-99 »

Keropi wrote:Yeah, Kurumi is complex. Like someone else said, she's like the ultimate boss of the series.
Yeah she finally got some substantial screen time in ep 7. Still the same crazy Kurumi but I still like her better than Origami.

And Sidonia give some fan service for Kobayashi, who I like even though she has a mask on 90% of the time. That scene is a little odd though since she's floating on her back naked in a zero G environment while her aide is talking to her via a big screen projector so he has a view. What is with characters being voiced by Sayaka Ohara being eye candy (Erza Scarlet - Fairy Tail, Valmet - Jormungand).
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I assumed she had the viewing monitor off while she was sunning like that, but you never know. :D

This AnimeSongCollabo of covers to anime OP and ED songs from this season are quite good. It's always fun watching them do these:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AnimeSongCollabo/videos

EDIT:

The No Game No Life OP singer you can actually see. She doesn't mind being seen. That's unusual.
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by AR-99 »

In the absence of the "Sound Only" notation, two way in effect. Not hiding either with that spotlight. 8)

Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Lol...that is quite true.

Reports are coming in on there being a second season for Sidonia! Very nice!

It looks like the Summer and Fall seasons are shaping up to be to my liking too. Too bad Buddy Complex might only be getting two more episodes, but the series didn't sell well at all so I'm not surprised.

EDIT:

Nope, no second season announcement yet. For some reason I had a feeling that it wasn't true. There wasn't a big enough notice for it yet.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

:topic

I was skimming the end of the "Dragon Ball Z Movie 7 - Super Android 13" and I noticed that the ending song has a guitar riff that sounds a lot like the one from Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song.

That was very amusing to hear. :D
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

well its that time of season where I get to marathon though series again...finished nobunaga the fool and akuma no riddle so far.
didn't really get akuma no riddle ending though, what was the point of the last two survived participants trying to kill each other, was there a point to that? and then theres the generic ending that pretty much resets the entire story. Every single character survived somehow? Are all those knifes, poison, falling off the building, and explosions nothing but stunts?
Anyhow this reminded me strongly of danganronpa except for ending and I rated it a 8/10 on MAL, 7 for enabling me to finish the series in one go and an extra point for fan service lol
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Is your MAL list up and running?

I don't think I'm going to complete Akuma no Riddle considering how it went at the end there.

The season is not over, but these are the shows that I finished or am one episode away from finishing:

1. Knights of Sidonia is pretty good and it's getting high praise from others in the industry. (MAL est 7.40-7.50+)
2. No Game No Life was pretty fun though I can understand people not liking the jokes and the otaku fanservice stuff. (MAL 7.30)
3. Hitsugi no Chaika skipped some good novel plots, but overall seemed to be pretty decent. I liked it more towards the end. (MAL 7.25)
4. Ryuugajou Nanana was not that good at the beginning, but I liked it much more later on when they revealed the hidden stuff about the character's purposes and motives. That villain made for a good a-hole character. He wasn't over-the-top like most anime villains.(MAL 7.05)

5. Date A Live II I liked much more than the first season. For a number of people, the first season was preferred. (MAL 7.00)
6. Black Bullet has too many rushed episodes. It turned out okay I guess. Some good parts. Some not good parts. (MAL est 6.85)
7. Selector Infected WIXOSS was kind of slow, but I liked how it turned out. It had a bit darkness and cruelty to it. I look forward to the second season. (MAL 6.80)
8. Seikoku no Dragonar I thought was okay, but not much more. The artwork was nice, but the series was only a time passer. (MAL 6.35)

Dragonar turned out as expected. Black Bullet is a disappointment in terms of how it was adapted. No Game No Life turned out to be a little better than I expected. Knights of Sidonia, Nanana, Date A Live Season 2 and WIXOSS were pleasant surprises.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Yeah, I decided to skip on adding the animes I've already watched, too time consuming. But I'll be adding everything I finished/dropped from now on.

Apologize if my ending spoiler ruined your appetite to finish akuma no riddle, thought you would be more updated on it than me :)

Currently working on Date A live, Kenzen Robo Daimidaler, Seikoku no Dragonar...and eventually all the action/adventure/fantasy genre. Gonna try to finish everything in next month and half so I can focus on tales of xilla 2 upon release. Going to start on WIXOSS today, have some anticipation based on your comment and plot description.

Finish Fuun Ishin Dai Shogun yesterday, thought it had great potential starting off, but was kinda disappointed at the end. I've seen much better coming from J.C. staff.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

No, that's okay. I already had heard how Akuma no Riddle ended. It's one of those shows where I check to see if I still want to watch it or not.

WIXOSS probably isn't dark enough for you, but I liked how the first season ended. The more I thought about the ending, the more I liked it especially when it came down to one particular character. She turned out to be more warped than I thought and I wasn't expecting that. :cry:

Knights of Sidonia gets a second season after all:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... son/.76004

Knights of Sidonia is on Netflix:
http://www.blastr.com/2014-6-26/1st-tra ... ia-awesome

The second season of Sidonia is another show to look forward to in the future. :bounce

EDIT:

Oh yeah, try to watch the uncensored version of Seikoku no Dragonar. I think just about every episode has 2 minutes of footage that was cut out of the official streaming version. FFF's version is uncensored.