Summer 2014 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Summer 2014 Anime Season

Post by Keropi »

Okay, it's time again for another anime season cour.

Here is Random Curiosity's season preview:
http://randomc.net/2014/06/18/summer-2014-preview/

Here is AniChart:
http://anichart.net/summer

These are the shows I'm looking forward to seeing::

Glasslip ----------- looks interesting
Tokyo Ghoul ----- I enjoyed the manga for this a lot. I had the manga rated at 7.20 after only the first twenty chapters.
Sword Art Online II
Akame ga Kill -----This is going to be a tough show for me to watch, but I'll try to get through it. I enjoyed the manga when I was reading it. I gave it a 7.20 rating after 32 chapters.

Hanayamata -------The manga seemed kind of cute though I've barely read any of it. I might like it and learn a little something too.
Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma
Zankyou no Terror-- sounds interesting
Tokyo ESP -------- I enjoyed the manga for this too (the first story arc anyway). I think I gave the first story arc a 7.00 rating. It was a lot of fun and I liked the main heroine too.

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance ----- I liked this manga, but not in the same way as the others I've given 7s to. This is another story where the male protagonist transfers into a school where he's the only one with a special ability. The Infinite Stratos novels started the trend and the anime adaptions are slowly rolling out now. Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance felt a bit like Seikoku no Dragonar to me except instead of dragon abilities the characters have swords and spirit contractors. I currently enjoy the manga at a 7.00 rating after 16 chapters, but the story took awhile to get going.

This looks to be another above average season for me.

Are you guys looking forward to seeing anything this season? Sailor Moon is coming out this season.
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: Summer 2014 Anime Season

Post by AR-99 »

My picks:

-Kan Colle - Heard about it, now to see what all the fuss is about.
-Sabagebu! - After Gainax's underperforming C3, giving the high school girls x airsoft angle a second chance.
-Space Dandy 2 - Maybe I underappreciated S1, but I will watch S2.
-SMC - So what if I haven't seen the original SM series, this one is a go.

And finally, the Girls und Panzer OVA is coming out. :bounce
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

It should be fun watching the Italian tank team go at it. :D

There are at least three air soft girl's club manga out right now. Everyone seems to get the same idea at the same time. :)

After thinking it over, I'd say my top five anticipated TV shows for this season are:

1. Tokyo Ghoul
2. Akame ga Kill
3. Sword Art Online II
4. Tokyo ESP
5. Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

...in that order. The other shows I have less to go on or I have no exposure to the original source. I'm sure I'll like something else, but I'll find out what they are when I get to them.

Nobunaga Concerto might interest me too. I read the first three chapters of the manga and it was enjoyable. The guy taking Nobunaga's place is so casual about everything that it's really quite funny. The story won an award. Unfortunately it looks like the anime is going to be using 3-D cel shading and the animation didn't look so good in the anime preview.
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by AR-99 »

Kan Colle pushed back to Fall. X| Rest of my picks air on weekends.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Akame ga Kill is a spoiler filled series so I recommend people avoid discussions on the anime/manga if they don't want to be spoiled on future big spoiler events.

The first episodes of Tokyo Ghoul, Aldnoah Zero and Akame ga Kill went pretty well I think. I hope Tokyo Ghoul will be a 2 cour length series, but I have my doubts on that. At least Akame ga Kill is supposed to be 24 episodes long so there will be a lot of time for brutality. Lol :P

I ended up liking "Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun" more than I thought I would.

Too bad "Tokyo ESP" and "Nobunaga Concerto" won't be out until Friday and Blade Dance won't come out for another week. :( I'd like to distract myself from work right now.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Tokyo ESP episode 1:
I wonder why they spoiled the ending by showing future events. They did the same thing with Garei Zero. I figured that they wanted to show the good stuff early on, but the entire episode was future events. All that action doesn't have much meaning when you don't even know the characters yet. It might be better to just skip the first episode and start watching it from the second episode. This episode should have been the second from the end or the final episode.
I liked the Garei Zero cameo. The art was surprisingly good. I think they changed too much, but that doesn't matter when they skip to the end. Eh...I'm not so happy about this episode order flipping, but we'll see how it goes.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

That second Ending song of Aldnoah Zero is pretty amazing. I've listened to it a couple of dozen times now:

Not the best sound quality but, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txpVeUXYOl8

I need to get the translated version of the ending there.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Keropi wrote:That second Ending song of Aldnoah Zero is pretty amazing. I've listened to it a couple of dozen times now:

Not the best sound quality but, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txpVeUXYOl8

I need to get the translated version of the ending there.
not bad, not bad. However i'll wait for the full version before deciding if i keep it or not.
I was surprised to see a 2nd ending so soon, specially since the opening is played at the end of episode 1. Who knows if they will be alternating ending songs. It would be nice to have a new song every 2 episodes :D

As for the series i'm watching this season no surprises on my end. Akame ga Kill and Sword Art Online 2 are my favorites as i expected, without forgetting Mahouka, my favorite from last season. The rest are probably not worth mentioning since i'll probably end up dropping them or maybe finishing them just to delete them afterwards. Maybe the only exception could be Argevollen, because being a 2 cour show it may develop into a good story, but for now it's just following the "gundam" style, and i'm not quite a fan of those series.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I didn't even realize that she was singing in German until I got the translated version of the Ending. That was neat.

You HAVE been staying away from Akame ga Kill spoilers right? :D It'll pay off for you in the long run.

I've been working long hours since Anime Expo so I've been too tired to watch as much anime as I've wanted to this season. I've been enjoying Aldnoah Zero, Akame ga Kill and Sword Art Online II the most from this season so far. Akame ga kill seemed like a decent anime adaption after the first three episodes. The tone and pacing is decent.

Tokyo Ghoul skipped quite a bit of the story in the fourth episode and I didn't like it that much. The first three episodes seemed fine though. Zankyou no Terror I only seen the first episode so I can't say much about it. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya 2wei! went pretty comedic in the first three episodes.

Argevollen seems okay. People are poking a lot of holes into the story. Their militaries have no planes which is a very odd technological tree for their world. Tokyo ESP has a different tone from the manga and I'm disappointed with it. The Blade Dance anime is just as disjointed as the manga. Can't say I'm really blown away by it, but I'm still going to watch it.

Mahouka from last season has been continually dropping subtle and not-so-subtle background hints for a long time, but I wonder if they will actually explain anything major before the anime ends. The main theme of the story seems to be quite different from what many viewers were expecting. The main theme really seems to be about Tatsuya, his life and how he overcame his...uh...difficulties (avoiding spoilers here). It's not about beating bad guys, becoming stronger or whatever.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Yep, i'm avoiding Akame ga Kill forums to avoid spoilers since you mentioned about it.

As for Mahouka, i went ahead and started reading the novel, so i can say that the anime is a very good adaptation. The problem however is that the anime doesn't have much time to explain things, so all those subtle details you mention can only be fully understood if you read the novel. I really hope there's a 2nd season for this series. With the Nine schools competition arc about to end (1, maybe 2 episodes left) the remaining number of episodes probably only give time to air the 5th volume, which is mainly short stories between the Nine schools competition and the next story arc.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yep, i'm avoiding Akame ga Kill forums to avoid spoilers since you mentioned about it.
That's good. Someone I know got spoiled because someone thought it would be amusing to stick a big "Akame ga Kill" spoiler in the comment section of the file.

Yeah, even the manga has more details than the anime and the manga has a lot less detail than the novels. At least in the manga you get to hear more of the thoughts of the characters. In the anime you hear very little of their thoughts. Their thoughts reveal more complexity to the storyline. It just goes to show you how all the little stuff left out from an anime adaption really adds up over time.

Ah, so possibly no new Mahouka story arc after this one ends? That's too bad. :(
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Just watched Aldnoah 5 and they returned to the usual Ed song. Maybe episode 4 was "special" and deserved a different song.

And also watched Mahouka ep 18. As expected they ended the arc there. And surprisingly they anounced next episode as the Yokohama Disturbance story arc first episode. I don't think they can fit the entire arc in the remaining 8 episodes. Looks like they are going to skip the sidestories of volume 5 which is not too bad but there's one of them which is kanon for the story so it can't be skipped. Probably they will merge it with the story arc (at thte beggining) but with only 8 episodes left i hope they don't need to rush things. What i fear is that this means there probably won't be a second season (at least soon) as there's only one more story arc after Yokohama disturbance.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

So the Mahouka novel series ends after that? Hmmm...maybe no second season after all. :(

That Miyuki dance scene inside was pretty funny because of where she was pointing her eyes, but I was expecting that. :D

I think Akame ga Kill dis doing a great job at animating the characters "killing intent". There was a lot of that in the manga and it's carrying through to the anime.

Maybe they don't want to overplay that second ED song in Aldnoah Zero since they also use it sometimes as background music during the action scenes.

I think that fourth episode of Tokyo ESP was much closer to the spirit of the manga than the first three episodes. It's probably because the episode took place closer to where it was supposed to be in the story. The first two episodes had scenes from the end, while the third episode skipped stuff before it so the drama came off feeling weird and overblown (because of what was cut out).
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Keropi wrote:So the Mahouka novel series ends after that? Hmmm...maybe no second season after all. :(
Well, it's not that the novel ends. It's still ongoing, but there's only one complete story arc released (and translated) after Yokohama disturbance titled "Visitor chapter". The next scheduled story arc will start it's release on September. That's why i believe a second season would take a long time to be released (if at all). At least i hope they don't do an anime only ending to give closure to the series.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Well, that's good to know that the novels are not ending. I know about a couple of future events, but I don't think I know much about what's coming up in this story arc.

It looks like that Japanese August anime/manga crackdown might be affecting some anime and manga sites soon. Won't know for sure until those sites implement their changes and/or delete their listings. There's a lot of rumors going on right now and who knows what to believe. The material that gets affected the most are always the oldest and most obscure anime/manga. Recent anime are always the easiest to find.

I like that Akame ga Kill is not shying away from the torture and dismembering implications because that stuff was prominent in the manga.