Under the Dog Kickstarter

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Under the Dog Kickstarter

Post by AR-99 »

A proposed sci fi action ep (to start) from game studio Creative Intelligence Arts with a creative staff consisting of Masahiro Ando (director), Yosuke Kozaki (character and mechanical design), Hiroaki Yura (producer), and Jiro Isshi (writer). It has already met its funding goal and there are 38 hours left.

http://under-the-dog.com/

I'm thinking of jumping in but haven't decided at which level yet. The higher end bonuses are great, but too rich for my blood at this point.

cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Under the Dog Kickstarter

Post by cutiebunny »

This is one of those Kickstarters where I really have a hard time justifying the donation.

A big part of the reason why I donate to Kickstarter projects is because some of the tier rewards are pretty nice. I donated to the Fault Milestone One project about two months ago because they offered a colored shikishi in a reasonable tier. I don't mind donating at a higher tier if the rewards merit it, but I often see projects where an original sketch is offered at the 2K+ level, and it'll be drawn by the director, and not the character designer/creator.

In UTD's case, the lower tiers offer signed prints. These have no value to me. At the 2K level, you get a sketch from the director, Asano. I've seen Asano's sketching skills in person and it's not worth 2K. Obviously, what I received a AX was done in a minute, but still...I'd have a hard time justifying the expense considering his past projects. Sadly, there is no guarantee that the sketch you receive will be a good quality sketch. At a lower tier, I'm not so worried about this possibility. But if I'm paying 2K for a shikishi, I expect a high quality sketch and not something done in two minutes or less.

Had the sketch being offered been drawn by Kozaki, the character designer for this project, I probably would have gone for it.