Autumn 2014 Anime Season

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Autumn 2014 Anime Season

Post by Keropi »

Mushoku Tensei novel ---------------- I'm looking forward to the Millis continent again. That continent remains rather untapped. A lot of stuff can happen over there.

There are more shoujo anime this season than usual. I'm surprised.

That was a nicely animated fight in Fate/stay night UBW episode 3. I don't think Archer is doing his blade dancing though is he? Maybe if I watched it in slow motion I would see that he is. Supposedly in the game it was said that his moves were like Blade Dancing. It's like how that "Archer" moved in that Fate kaleid Archer-Saber-Alter fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSdCSM9s9k

Yeah, shounen/seinen magical girl anime were uncommon when Nanoha and the adult anime Septem Charm Magical Kanan and Mahou Shoujo Ai were released, but they are common today. A few seem to come out every season. Rarely do any of them really stand out. :shrug
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Been following 14 series from current season, 3 leftover from last season, and 3 more staple series...which seem to be a lot but really isn't all that much, surprisingly.

My three favors from current season are Fate/unlimited blade works, Garo and Shingeki no Bahamut...Terra Former goes into characters past too much instead of focusing on the present and Hitsugi no Chaika is surprisingly not that great atm. Akami ga kill has been pretty action packed. I really like how its willing to cut characters here and there after first building them up a bit, its almost unpredictable which makes it quite fun to watch, contra to the horrible disaster led by Tatsuya.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Mushoku Tensei's manga chapters 5.5 and 6 have come out. Chapter 5.5 was about Lilia's resolve concerning Rudy. They showed the things that were cut out of the previous Family chapter. Chapter 6 is supposed to be about the debut of Eris, but I can't see the posted photos. Somehow I banned seeing pictures from one of the image websites and I haven't been able to unban it. I also can't log in to AnimeSuki to be able to get the URL that way because of their new everyone-reset-your-password thing. I want to see how Eris and her eyebrows look. :D

I'm working more hours because of the Holiday season. The only shows that I feel like watching right away from this season are Fate stay UBW, Hitsugi no Chaika S2, Vanadis. Log Horizon S2, Trinity Seven, Inou Battle and Cross Ange. I'm mostly falling behind on the other shows. Twintails is kind of fun. Daitoshokan is kind of boring me to be honest.

I'm wondering what's going to happen in Cross Ange. It's a two-cour show after all. We don't get as many back-to-back 24-26 episode longer series as before. It's nice to have a longer series where the series is not split apart

:topic

Here are some of the stories involving being reborn/reincarnated somehow/reset/time loops with main characters that remember their past lives and gain benefits from being in their new world:

Mushoku Tensei
Shiro no Koukoku Monogatari
Re: Monster
Gun-Ota ga Mahou Sekai ni Tensei Shitara
Tsuyokute: New Saga
Mujaki no Rakuen
Knights and Magic
The Slime Novel (I forgot the title)
Yuusha Party no Kawaii Ko ga ita no de
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku

There sure are a lot.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku is kind of amusing because it has the vow from Ah My Goddess, the gaming intro message of No Game No Life and the comedic reborn part of Mushoku Tensei. It looks very comedic compared to the other titles though. I'll read it just to see how it goes.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Decided to put some series from current season to reserve since less anime interests me now. Currently still up to date with Akatsuki no Yona, Garo, Hitsugi no Chaika, Fate/Stay Night, Parasyte, Psycho-Pass, WIXOSS, Shingeki no Bahamut, Terra Formars and continuing from last season are still Argevollen, Akame ga Kill, Sword Art Online.

I thought by far FSN would have been my favor, but while the plot is good, it seem to be lacking in epic actions compared to fate/zero and also somewhat lighthearted compared to the original series. Even though this is Archer route, there seem to be way more scenes of Shirou ATM in comparison as if his still the protagonist. So my favor this season currently go to Shingeki no Bahamut, epic battle scenes and great character developments. Also love how they mixed in beings from different myths into one timeline...its too bad they would do a recap after just 6 eps.

WIXOSS is surprisingly more entertaining than previous season. Ulith and Akira makes excellent pairing and made the series fun to watch.
so uh...Ulith just dropped after getting shenked by tip of a pen-_-" Apparently Akira is a fearsome martial arts master with great chi power and is able to turn anything into deadly weapon
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:WIXOSS is surprisingly more entertaining than previous season. Ulith and Akira makes excellent pairing and made the series fun to watch.
so uh...Ulith just dropped after getting shenked by tip of a pen-_-" Apparently Akira is a fearsome martial arts master with great chi power and is able to turn anything into deadly weapon
I see. So she turned into Bullseye then? ^_^
I've been wondering how Akame ga Kill has been doing. I heard that it's veering off from the manga now. I wonder if it's still good.

Cross Ange and Twintails are making me laugh each week. The Twintails president is going off the deep end. Lol :D

I'm more interested in the Heaven's Feel fights than in the Unlimited Blade Works fights.

Fate stay UBW:
It's too bad that there's no game storyline for the archery club girl. She reminds me of whats-her-name from Tsukihime. They make you wish they had gaming storylines so you could see them get happy endings.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Keropi wrote:I see. So she turned into Bullseye then? ^_^
Yeah, pretty much. I wonder what the director has in mind next for this character...hopefully a path of glorious destruction :D I feel like the anime totally strayed away from the card game principle since first season, but focused on building plot and character, which is quite nice but how effective is this in advertising the trading card game itself I wonder. Imagine if they have a rule that would ban you for life if you lose 3 times lol

Akame ga Kill is still action packed ATM, there were lots of battle casualties of course. can't tell you how its different from manga though. Only 4 more eps so hopefully they'll announce a second season afterwards and not botcher the ending.
Keropi wrote:It's too bad that there's no game storyline for the archery club girl.
Which character did she remind you of?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:
Keropi wrote:It's too bad that there's no game storyline for the archery club girl.
Which character did she remind you of?
She reminds me of Satsuki from Tsukihime.

Tsukihime Spoilers:
They both had the "normal" character regular life role. You got to know them and they both got harmed by the supernatural forces in the main character's city.

Though Satsuki had it worse of course. She was in love with the main character and said something to him about if he could save her if she ever got into trouble. She got turned into a vampire that was killing people indiscriminately. She asked him to kill her. That was really sad. That was a Bad End for her character right there.
Alright! I can''t wait for Cross Ange tomorrow. It's the only show I'm watching where the raws come out one day, but the subs don't come out until the next day. I have no idea why that's the case.

EDIT:

I think Cross Ange just comes out too late for me to watch on Saturdays. The re-encoders go to sleep.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Keropi wrote:She reminds me of Satsuki from Tsukihime.
Ah ok, its been a long time since I saw the anime, so I don't remember it that well anymore. But that does sound pretty tragic.

Keropi wrote:I can''t wait for Cross Ange tomorrow.
Man I knew I was missing series from this season, thanks for reminding me of this awesome anime! It might even be one of the best this season has to offer. So Mizuki Nana is voicing Ange huh? and legendary Houko Kuwashima as Vivian. Its pretty convenient for them to make up the plot that only female can be born with the syndrome therefore entire main cast is female, nice.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:Ah ok, its been a long time since I saw the anime, so I don't remember it that well anymore. But that does sound pretty tragic.
Tsukihime Spoiler:
I don't think she died in the anime though. When Type Moon made another Tsukihime game version, a lot of fans petitioned for them to create some kind of a Satsuki happy ending where she didn't end up dying.

I think this is fan artwork of Satsuki after she got turned:
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv37 ... 3b2ef4.jpg
Keropi wrote:Man I knew I was missing series from this season, thanks for reminding me of this awesome anime! It might even be one of the best this season has to offer. So Mizuki Nana is voicing Ange huh? and legendary Houko Kuwashima as Vivian. Its pretty convenient for them to make up the plot that only female can be born with the syndrome therefore entire main cast is female, nice.
I find it a fun show. It's kind of trashy, but it makes fun of itself too (like in the episode previews). I liked that missing arm/hamburger joke. :D

I finally watched Fate stay UBW ep 7 last night and Archer WAS doing those Blade Dance moves. That's good. It was good seeing Caster being dangerous too.

EDIT:

Ah! The number of MAL people that have put Eris (Mushoku Tensei) on their favorite character list has grown to fourteen. I remember back when there were only five!
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Ah, Mushoku Tensei latest volume on Milis has been very interesting. At last some decent magic fight as well :D

As for anime series i'm still watching.

SAO 2 & Fate:UBW : Of course my favorites. Too bad i already know the plot of both of them but i still enjoy seeing them animated. It was really nice seing Archer being a badass on last chapter :D. On last episode of SAO 2 Kirito appears at the end but it didn't look he was wielding Excaliber when he is suposed to. Well, i suppose my doubts will be cleared at the start of the next episode.

Akame ga Kill: Interesting as always..... However at this rate there's no one going to end alive at the end. Friend and foe keep dying. Sure it's realistic but....
poor Mine. She was probably my favorite.
Akatsuki no Yona: I always liked series like this one and it's no different this time. The premise of the king being murdered on episode 1 is not really well explained and makes it look like a poor excuse to start the series but it will probably be better explained later.

Cross Ange: Nice shift of events on last episode. Series keeps being interesting for me..... I still think the fanservice on this series was/is not needed at all

Grisaia no kajitsu: At last i'm getting what this thing is about. Without reading anything about it i realized this thing must be some kind of visual novel with different routes for each girl. I wasn't mistaken. So far it has been entertaining but definitely not a series to keep for me.

Hitsugi no Chaika S2: Things are starting to become interesting at last. It started the same as the middle of the 1st season, so i considered it to be somehow a weak start, but it's becoming better. I hope the series gets a good closure in the remaining episodes. No need to extend it more.

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu (Parasite maxim): This one is becoming one of my pleasant surprises this season. At the begining i thought i would drop it because of the talking hand parasite, but this series is really good material.

Log Horizon S2: Akatsuki got a good closure for her mini-arc. Despite the bad graphics of ths season the plot itself keeps being good enough.

Nanatsu no Taizai: This is one of the shows i keep telling myself "I'll drop it" but i keep coming back for the next episode. Who knows what i'll end up doing with it. Favorite character: The pig, no doubt about it :P

Ookami Shoujo: Well, not bad, but i already predict a half-hearted ending without a real closure. Don't know how far the manga goes but i'm sure the anime won't cover everything.

Psycho Pass S2: This season is definitely a poor sequel that can't be compared to S1. Add to the mix the poor graphics and you get a mediocre series that i only keep watching because i liked S1. They should not have done this season at all.

Shigatsu ga Kimi no Uso: Ah, this series reminds me a lot how much i liked classical pieces when i was young. I hope it brings more pleasant surprises to my ears :D

Shingeki no Bahamut: It really shows that a good budget has been spent on this series. Animation is great. Plot is at least decent. My only complain is that i don't really like the male character designs.

Shirobako: Well, given the kind of plot of this series i thought i was going to become tired of it really soon. Fortunately they have started to focus on character building, which makes the series decent.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Keropi wrote:I find it a fun show. It's kind of trashy, but it makes fun of itself too (like in the episode previews). I liked that missing arm/hamburger joke. :D
The anime reminded me of Code Geass, Gundam Seed and Simoun, a lot. But I honestly didn't mind the similarities much, if at all. Because the character developments overshadowed the "trashiness". I don't usually like main characters very much because they can start very generic and don't tend to become very interesting, or they can be limited by the setting. But this one was confronted with interesting situations which really made me sympathize her and that which did not kill her actually tuned her up, which made her very likable. Really like her younger sister's "yandere face" btw.

I finally watched Fate stay UBW ep 7 last night and Archer WAS doing those Blade Dance moves. That's good. It was good seeing Caster being dangerous too.
Rider is pretty pathetic in this arc. I knew she wasn't that strong of a servant to begin with but I remember in the original series she put up a great fight...people who only watched this arc probably don't even know why shes called rider...unless theres a twist later on, I doubt it through
So I'm guessing Akame ga Kill at this point has diverged itself greatly from the manga, without reading the manga. The series seems rushed at this point for a premature conclusion, and we all know how that usually would turn out.
can't believe the legendary Budou which is suppose to rival esdeath in strength got beat in a one on one and just went out like that, that was really disappointing. I've also seen lots of comments complaining about the series killing too many characters. I didn't mind number of casualties and thought of it refreshing, but the pace is certainly a bit too fast, 24eps just won't be enough
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

That reviewer on ANN called the second second of Psycho Pass --- "This show cannot be classified as anything other than a failure at this point." Lol :D

Rin seems to be getting cuter as the series goes on in Fate stay UBW. The artwork is very nice. They spent a good deal of money on it you can tell.

For Thanksgiving I had to work 5PM to Friday 5AM. Then Friday 12PM to 12AM. Then Saturday 10AM to 6PM and Sunday 6AM to 2:45PM. My work shifts were all squashed together. It took awhile for me to recover from all that and catch up on most of the things I wanted to keep up with. Then I had relatives visit from out-of-state on my first day off after that. So I didn't get to sleep as long as I wanted from eleven days. Starting this week I have to wake up one hour earlier than usual (at 3:55AM). Our store is open Dec 21-24 all night long too. :(

I'm probably going to be too tired to watch much anime. I need to get more sleep. :sleep3

I was getting spoiled by reading too much by Mushoku Tensei daily discussions. I'll get back to reading Mushoku Tensei later on after my story burnout wears off.

Fate stay SPOILERS:
Rider was primarily weak in the current UBW TV series because Shinji was so weak. Then again, she also got taken out by a strong opponent. I kind of forgot who it was until I thought about the story again for awhile.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Ahh man, you must be one of those overworked and overpaid individual :D but waking up before 4 every morning is something I can't even begin to fathom now. At one point I had worked that kind of shifts very occasionally but hated it because I'm one of those people that don't function right in a different timezone. Good luck catching up, on sleep and anime.
Keropi wrote:That reviewer on ANN called the second second of Psycho Pass --- "This show cannot be classified as anything other than a failure at this point." Lol
Really? I don't think its that bad. its not quite as good as first season but certainly I can't think of it a failure in any way, maybe the sibyl system is to blame. characters are limited by the sittings, thats the only thing that was kinda frustrating to watch at times for me.
Keropi wrote:Fate stay SPOILERS:
Yeah that guy is weak but I think he was pretty weak in the previous series as well. Its kinda lame though they seem to have skipped the fight altogether because I remember she had some really cool moves.

I added 2 more series to watchlist and that is probably going to be the final list for this season. Nanatsu no Taizai and Grisaia no Kajitsu. Nanatsu is quite fun to watch. Some of the character designs reminded me of Blue Dragon and Dragon Ball GT for whatever reason. And Grisaia main female protagonist is almost like a senjougahara ripoff, but the series is watchable so far.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:I added 2 more series to watchlist and that is probably going to be the final list for this season. Nanatsu no Taizai and Grisaia no Kajitsu. Nanatsu is quite fun to watch. Some of the character designs reminded me of Blue Dragon and Dragon Ball GT for whatever reason. And Grisaia main female protagonist is almost like a senjougahara ripoff, but the series is watchable so far.
Well, for Grisaia, there's no real female main cast, or all of them are, whatever you prefer. The source is a visual novel with alternative paths, one for each girl, and the anime will air all the paths, with the start of the series being the common route for all paths.

As for Fate, seems acording to MAL that they are going to split it in 2 seasons like they did with Fate Zero. Oh well, i can live with that :P
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I don't really care for how the Mushoku Tensei manga is being drawn. I didn't care much about what was skipped in the earlier chapters, but I didn't like the skipping of the last two chapters. I'm not a fan of how the action scenes are drawn. The original story creator doesn't expect the manga to run for very long because they are skipping too many things.The manga is just a promotion for the original novel I guess --- just like 75-80% of other novel-to-manga adaptions.

The Fall Season is drawing to a close. It looks like I'm only going to be finishing six anime TV series from this season for sure - Fate/stay UBW, Log Horizon S2, Vanadis, Cross Ange, Trinity Seven and Inou Battle. I might finish Ore Twintail and I'll complete Sword Art Online S2 from last season. Vanadis was too rushed, but it was a good enough as promotion for the original novels I suppose. I thought Trinity Seven worked much better as a manga.

Cross Ange ep 11:
I see Sunrise is into time looping and wormholes recently.
EDIT:

Akame ga Kill ep 24:
It was nice to see the three girls near the end. They get a happier ending than the manga. :bawl