Summer series list by Anichart:

http://anichart.net/summer

Any reviews? Top picks? Underdogs?

These are my picks so far:

- OVA on Yona of the Dawn.
- Sailor Moon Crystal Season 2
- Durarara Season 2

What I am currently watching:

- Knights of Sidonia Season 2 (this show rocks!)
- Shirobako Season 2
- Golden Time
- Nisekoi Season 2
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: Summer 2015 Anime List

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Looks like it'll be a season with quite a few big titles, to be expected of a summer season. I'll be checking out:

Aoharu x Kikanjuu
Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki
Durarara!!x2 Ten---Was really looking forward to this, every season in the past has been those series where I can just sit down and marathon without a break, series this fun to watch are rare.
Gangsta---Looking forward to this as well, manga of this is quite good. Guess it'll either be an original ending or season 2, since manga's not finished.
God Eater---its produced by UFOtable, which I'm guess would have unsurpassed quality.
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
Kangoku Gakuen Prison School
Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan
Overlord
Rokka no Yuusha
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace
Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX
Ushio to Tora

Knights of Sidonia is quite good, so far the plot hasn't been very dark, since the first few eps. I'm guessing that'll change towards the very end, too bad it'll only be 12 episodes. The OP reminded me of 2nd OP of Attack on Titan, as is the setting of the anime, its almost like the space version of AoT.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

I agree theultimatebrucelee! :) Knight of Sidonia is quite good and I like how they are following the manga and taking one or two liberties here and there.

SPOILER:
I cannot believe that Captain assassinated the Council! It was like a scene out of Bourne Supremacy the movie. May I mention the relationship that is developing between Tanikaze and Tsumugi? I think we may end up seeing a completely new breed of human by the end of this series. Do you agree or disagree?
The summer series debut for 2015 is strong. Not sure which series to research first and watch, etc.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Yeah I was pretty surprised. Its unfortunate though the council was powerless. Especially the guy that was chosen to be next captain, you'd think his also got the intelligence and combat power for a good fight but instead he just stood there as his fellow council got done in. I guess the current captain is wise, knowing that the pathetic new captain'll lead Sidonia to astray.

I keep getting the hunch that something'll happen to tsumugi by end of series, if the series decides to get dark again. But if not, then yeah a new bread of specie might be unavoidable at this rate lol This is off topic but I always thought tsumugi's head looked like a giant tentacles :D
888 posts!! a lucky eastern number. I need to freeze this moment by not posting for awhile 8)
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

Lol
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
www.gag.rubberslug.com

Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Gee...somehow I missed this thread until now.

I've been looking forward to a Gate anime for a long time. It really seemed like a novel/manga was the right type of story to get an anime adaption and now it's finally here. I can't wait to see that military battle! I hope they handle that part decently. Rori's clothing and weapon is different that the manga. I wonder why they changed it? Fanservice? Anyway...it should be a fun series.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ---- I never thought that this would get an anime adaption. The manga wasn't translated for a long time because no one was interested in it. I read the first 53 chapters of the manga. I liked it in the beginning, but it felt a little repetitive after awhile and there wasn't much character development. I know that it's a comedy and if they have too much character development the story would be over (compare this with something like Ranma 1/2) still...I guess I had enough of the wackiness. Living on comedy alone only goes so far with me. The anime will probably be short so the anime won't feel drawn out. The story might benefit from being a little more....compact. The anime might create character development that wasn't in the original manga.

Gakkou Gurashi ---- I liked the manga. It combined the moe with the zombie drama. It had slice-of-life cuteness, but it was also a little eerie. I stopped reading it so I don't know what happened after 25 chapters. I might watch it just to see how it ends. The story works better when you don't know the spoilers. It'll hit you harder.

Charlotte sounds interesting. I don't know anything about it.

Monster Musume should be alright. I've been reading the manga, but I haven't been keeping up with it. I'll check this out...at least the beginning part.

Overlord ---- I read the beginning of the manga or novel. It was so long ago that I don't recall which it was. Since I've been reading a lot of stories involving characters being stuck in or being sent to an RPG Gamer type world I'll check this out.

The other anime I'm not so sure about, but I'll check out the first episodes to see how much I like them.

So for me this season is "Gate" all the way. /no1
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Random Curiosity's anime preview is up:
http://randomc.net/2015/06/27/summer-2015-preview/

The sorcerer girl's character designs in the Gate manga made her look more on the nerdy and quiet side compared to the anime. In the anime, she looks moe, cute and like someone with a bright, energetic type of personality. :P
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

So now they are saying that the Gate anime is 24 episodes long. It was picked up by Crunchyroll.

I really wasn't expecting this Summer anime to be 24 episodes long, but perhaps the cross-promotion with the JSDF had something to do with it.

I can't wait to watch the first episode tomorrow. \o/
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Gate episode 1:
I thought the first episode was okay. I had the same complaints that other novel/manga readers had. Half of the episode consisted of added scenes. They emphasized his otaku-ness too much so it made his first impression feel needlessly goofy. They toned down the city combat. That was too be expected. At least they implied that people were getting splattered even if they didn't really show it. The battle did not feel horrific like it was in the manga and novel. It felt like a minor battle with little destruction and death. It was far worse than that. There are a lot of residents that will be scared for life psychologically because of that battle, but you would never know it from seeing the first episode of the anime.

I'm worried that they'll have to change future scenes because they don't want to give a bad impression of the JSDF. There is a cross-promotion going on between this and the JSDF. At least there are still the character interactions to look forward to even if the fun military scenes are no longer present.

I wonder if any of the scenes were left out of the TV broadcast, but the TV station has not been averse in the past to showing violence.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

So far I've been enjoying Gate, Charlotte, Overlord and Monster Musume. I'm not sure how I'm going to like Jitsu wa Watashi wa.., Kuusen Madoushi and God Eater. I'm watching Okusama ga Seitoukaichou because the episodes are short and easy to watch.

Chaos Dragon reminds me of that one particular manga. *cough* *cough* :D

I thought this video game/anime character dance video was amusing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvPqOpXtlrg

So that loli group around 6-10 seconds in the video is from Touhou huh? I didn't recognize any of them. I'm more familiar with the more famous other Touhou group in the video.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Well, I've only gotten to very few series from this season and still need to finish last season so I can't comment much on it. Dorarara!!X2 was fun, as expected. And I enjoyed first 2 episodes of Chaos Dragon and Gangsta so far.

Been playing Xenoblade on 3DS for the past 3 weeks or so and didn't have time for all the new series...best game I've played in 2 whole years. I'm really moved by the epicness of it, probably need a Wii U this christmas for its spiritual sequel.
Keropi wrote:I thought this video game/anime character dance video was amusing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvPqOpXtlrg
I love this video, and the song too. Its pretty hilarious at 1:19 with just those two touhou characters...I also found it pretty funny that the Chinese PLA used this song in their propaganda recruitment video, lyric wise this should be categorized as love song though.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

I have already dropped quite a bunch of series from this season.

From the ones i'm still watching:

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime -> I guess it's still too soon to say what's the main theme of this series. Are they going to repeat the same theme of the title the series is based on?
Aoharu x Kikanjuu -> I don't really get why he dresses as a guy and doesn't clear all the misunderstandings fast. I guess if he(she) did the series would just end.
Charlotte -> This one looks like each episode they will be recruiting/stopping some esper guy with maybe an small plot twist in the last 1-2 episodes. Maybe fun to watch a few episodes, but if all of them are like the first 3 it will get a little boring fast for my taste.
Classroom☆Crisis -> Well, we already know how this series is going to go, the bad guy will be a real good guy instead and they will barely finish whatever engine/spacecraft they want to do. There's nothing else really going to happen here. Will watch 2-3 more episodes before deciding if i drop it or watch it to the end. But it's not a series i'm going to keep.
Gangsta -> Well, at least this series looks like it's going to have some character development, and i like that. But with only 12 episodes it might just end being a bloody fight episode after episode.
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri -> Well, the premise of this series looks decent. Reminds me a lot to Log Horizon for some reason. And it's a 2 cour series. Maybe we can have a winner for this season on this series.
God Eater -> Only 1 episode aired from this one, so too soon to say anything. But it's not looking good.
Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan -> I have already watched quite a few series like this one. The guy noone cares about is really a megamaster yada yada.... Nothing that i can expect of it.
Overlord -> Ha ha, it's unavoidable that this series reminds me of Sword art online. Still want to see what the plot is going to focus before i decide if i like it or not.
Prison School -> Don't know why i have not dropped this one already.
Rokka no Yuusha -> Again a overused kind of plot for my taste. I don't think i'll end this series. I hope i'm mistaken.

TLDR; So far no series from this season feels like a series i expect to complete. Gangsta and Gate seem the 2 with more chances for me.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:I love this video, and the song too. Its pretty hilarious at 1:19 with just those two touhou characters...I also found it pretty funny that the Chinese PLA used this song in their propaganda recruitment video, lyric wise this should be categorized as love song though.
Lol...yeah I don't know why they got her doing that, but it looks funny at any rate. I didn't know the song was that popular.

Gate came out before Outbreak Company so when I seen Outbreak Company I was hoping that it had some of the things they were doing in Gate, but there wasn't much similarity there. You have some otaku mentions every now and then, but it's not very heavy compared to Outbreak Company. In Outbreak Company it was one of the main points. I didn't get into the political parts of Gate. The political stuff was toned down in the manga and the anime toned it down further in comparison to the manga. Hope they do a good job at adapting it. It's not too bad so far.

Was Charlotte a game or is it going to become one? I heard someone mention something about it. The story is written like a game so the dramatic parts might all get revealed at the end. If it's like a game then it might build up rather slowly. Angel Beats was like that too (though that became a game AFTER the anime)

There are so many stories out there now that have main characters suddenly gaining gamer-like abilities. I've been enjoying Konjiki no Wordmaster for 164 chapters. I like how the characters are developed separately and I look forward to seeing them meet each other later on. The meetings are nowhere near as good as Mushoku Tensei, but I'm still enjoying it nonetheless. The translation is moving along pretty quickly.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Madhouse has posted some animations of their production sketches (from the currently airing "Overlord" anime series):

http://www.madhouse.co.jp/special/overlord/index.html
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

Keropi wrote:Madhouse has posted some animations of their production sketches (from the currently airing "Overlord" anime series):

http://www.madhouse.co.jp/special/overlord/index.html
Nice, I love seeing animated sketches so thanks for the link, Keropi. I used to love the Madhouse studio throughout the 90's but I don't know what sort of output they focus on nowadays; is it still Shonen based?
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...