Where to get help when you get stuck on a translation

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Where to get help when you get stuck on a translation

Post by jcaliff »

I finally decided to sit down and translate a couple of dvds that I own so I could watch them with friends who don't know Japanese. I figured out how to work Aegisub and spent a bunch of time the last few weeks on them. So far I finished the first Nintama movie and I'm about halfway through the Otohime Connection ova. I showed some friends the Nintama movie last night, and it went really well and I think they enjoyed it. Biggest problem is that I am not very good at making up jokes and none of the puns translate well. I'm also kind of stuck on Otohime right now since the scene I'm working on has two people who speak super formally and I'm not even completely sure what they're taking about any more. It's like, I knew at the beginning of the conversation, but they took a tangent and now I'm a little lost. :( I'm not sure where on the internet to ask for help any more. One upon a time I think AnimeSuki forums probably would have been the logical place to get advice, but they closed the fansub forums. I'm not a big fan of fansubs in place of legit versions myself, but in this case I own the dvds. :) Anyway, does anyone have any ideas where to go for translation advice these days?
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Where to get help when you get stuck on a translation

Post by JWR »

Not really sure if this will help but you might check out this blog who has written quite a bit about translating anime.

https://frogkun.com/2015/08/09/translat ... ould-care/
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison