Bishoujo art collector

Summer 2017 Anime Season

Post by Keropi »

AniChart:
http://anichart.net/Summer-2017

Random Curiosity:
http://randomc.net/2017/06/24/summer-2017-preview/

Viewing for me:

Fate/Apocrypha ----- I don't know much about this, but I was planing on watching it.

Gamers ----- I never got around to reading the novels. I'll check this out.

Knights & Magic ----- This is an Isekai novel. I read some of the novels. I liked certain parts of it, but not the other parts. One battle sequence was pretty intense in the novel. I liked that the main character constantly builds up technology on his side to fight the bad guys. I liked the technology build up developments in the story, but the rest of it kind of bored me over time.

Kakegurui ----- I enjoyed the manga. It has a lot of female characters acting like over-the-top sadistic psychos while playing extreme gambling games at school.

Youkoso Jitsuryoko ----- I read some of this novel and it didn't interest me that much. I'll watch the anime to see how it goes. The anime will probably get to the main plot a lot sooner than the novels and it might interest me at that point.

Isekai wa Smartphone ----- Another Isekai novel. I read fifty chapters of the web novel before I stopped. The web novel was comedically cute and fluffy. There was never much danger to it. I'll check this out just to see how it is, but I'm not expecting much. All of his problems are solved with his smartphone. The female characters are pretty young for an Isekai story.

Centaur no Nayami ----- I liked the manga, but I don't know how much of the anime I will be watching. It's a school slice-of-life story involving mostly non-human girls.

Not sure how I feel about the other shows. I guess we're at the point where we might be getting 2-4+ Isekai stories per anime season.

I will also continue to watch Re: Creators.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Summer 2017 Anime Season

Post by Keropi »

Has anyone tried any of recent Chinese anime (especially the ones not listed on Japanese anime season lists)?

There are more of them than I thought. I haven't liked too many of them though. There's:

Monster List (Yaoguai Mingdan)
Jack of All Trades (Tongzhizhe)
Taking Everybody's Husband Home
Zombie Brother (Shi Xiong)
Chinese Mystery Man (Zhongguo Jingqi Xiansheng)
Die Now (Duan Nao)
The Devil Ring (Jie Mo Ren)
Fox Spirit Matchmaker
Lu's Time (Lu Shidai)
Tales of Demons and Gods
Everlasting Immortals Firmanent (Wangu Xian Qiong)
Full-Time Magister (Quanzhi Fashi)

The King's Avatar looked like it had the best artwork from this group. The only series I finished though was Full Time Magister. That played out like a Chinese isekai story. It was fair I guess. Someday I might watch Monster List and Taking Everybody's Husband Home. I'm have a difficult time getting into the other shows. Some of them are pretty weird. I haven't tried Tales of Demons and Gods yet.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Hmm...I rather liked Tales of Demons and Gods. I watched the entire first season (26 episodes) and the first episode of the second season. The episodes are only five minutes long. It's made of 3-D CG, but I think it worked better using that than if they were forced to use not-so-good animation and artwork that looked like it came from one of the worst of the early non-cel Japanese anime that came out in the late 1990s. The King's Avatar looked good, but some of the other Chinese anime didn't look good at all.

Tales of Demons and Gods plays out like those Asian webnovel/manga stories where the main character finds himself in an earlier version of himself and then he gets to redo things properly. He tries to save people who died and make his friends more powerful than they were the first time around. He knows things that weren't commonly known at the time and he uses it to his advantage. So far I'm enjoying it.

It's funny how the Chinese were the first to animate two of the popular kinds of Asian fantasy webnovels popular now from the last three years. They were the first to animate a story about someone reliving their life and they were the first to animate a story about an isekai character that attended a developing-your-powers type of school. The Japanese still haven't come out with either of those yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time though. Personally I'd like to see a shoujo/josei isekai anime. We haven't had one of those yet.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

So in this season the best show we have watched is Made in Abyss ( Meido in Abisu)

Even though the designs seem simplistic rather than "realistic" the story so far has been well told. Only show we are looking forward to seeing updated each week.
It is being show here on the Amazon Strike which may limit people being able to watch.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I started watching shows, but have stalled out on many of them. :shrug

I'm still keeping up with "Re: Creators". It's a fun show joking about the creative process. I'm watching mostly easy going shows without much drama to them. I'm not much into Gamers, but I'm still watching it each week. Smartphone, "Knights & Magic" and Tenshi no 3P don't require much thinking. Tales of Demons and Gods is enjoyable. The episodes are only ten minutes long so it works best viewing the episodes in bunches.

I started catching up on Stan Lee's "The Reflection". Been enjoying that too in its own way. It reminds me of those late night simple background animated shows.