Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Arson Murderer torches Kyoto Animation Studio: at least 33 die

Post by sensei »

Man screams ‘Die!’ as he sets fire to Japanese [anime] studio, killing 33

Whoa! :OMG :OMG /sob

This is horrific news. I've admired the KyoAni animation team for years, and my handful of sketches from their early contract work for Tennimon, Hyper Police, and especially Inuyasha are among my treasured possessions. I had no idea that the studio had been under repeated death threats. Can anyone add some context to this devastating story?
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Arson Murderer torches Kyoto Animation Studio: at least 33 die

Post by JWR »

"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

just chilling, awful, so sad, heart goes out to these folks
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Definitely the work of a very mentally unstable individual. And from various news reports I've read, it looks like he has some history of aggressive behaviors. I saw one news outlet that claimed he'd posted on 5chan about how much a saxaphone solo in one of the shows offended him greatly.

I feel for the families of the employees who died. :l
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Mental health is important and is something that is sadly neglected in many first world nations. I would like to hope that tragedies like this one will bring more awareness to the issue in Japan as well as elsewhere in the world.

I am sorry to hear that so many people were injured or died from the actions of one man who needed a lot of help. My heart goes out to those that have been personally affected by this tragedy.
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

I barely slept for the past 2 days, seaching everywhere for news and other infos. I felt so sad and I am not yet brave enough to imagine what I would feel when I see those names I admire appear in the "list" that is going to be available to the public eventually. :( :(
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

JWR wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:24 am Senseless and Horrific :bawl
Seriously. It's very saddening and upsetting whenever I hear/read stories like these. Especially when the people murdered or injured had nothing to do with said culprits. I have more to post about the person involved but I'll most likely be censored or banned for writing it so I'll just leave smilies like:
/sob :kaioken /omg
sensei

Post by sensei »

Sadly, the names of specific animators who are missing and likely dead in this tragic attack are beginning to become public. One such is Yasuhiro Takemoto [武本 康弘], best known as the series director for Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (2003) and Amagi Brilliant Park (2014) as well as co-director (with Tatsuya Ishihara) of the anime film The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (2010; Kobe Award, Best Theatrical Film)

Takemoto began his career as an animator and animation director, supervising, among other projects, three episodes of Hyper Police (2, 10, 18), all directed by Ishihara. I have a number of roughs and sketches that I believe are his, mostly from Ep. 18 (An Era of Cohabitation), which i consider the finest of this series' installments. (Studio Pierrot outsourced the production of these to several concerns, and so their quality varies visibly and greatly from episode to episode, the seven done by the newcomer studio Kyoto Animation being clearly the best.)

Among the sketch sets is the one from which my signature below was generated. Its message -- "Seeya!" -- now seems poignantly appropriate.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Another who was recently confirmed was Naomi Ishida who was the chief colorist for many shows and movies.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... re/.149318
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Post by JWR »

Kyoto police release names of 10 of the victims

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... re/.149629