Which Anime held up best upon rewatch?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Which Anime held up best upon rewatch?

Post by JWR »

Since a lot of our members have been home keeping safe during these trying times I would believe that to fill some of the time you might have considered rewatching different shows that we have not watched in many years.

Which shows did you enjoy just as much as when you first watched them?
Any shows seemed to not to live up to your original memories of them?
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Re: Which Anime held up best upon rewatch?

Post by teggacat »

ahh great thinking question JWR.... /hmm
I watched Kenshin OVA Trust and Betrayal about 2 weeks ago, and it moved me just as much as the first [and every] time,
love that show....a few months back I re-watched Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood again, and still one of
my all time faves, currently re-watching Boogiepop Phantom, its as confusing as every other time I tried
to watch lol next up is my re-watch of Heroic Legend of Arslan, and looking forward to it but we''ll see
:cheers :cheers :cheers
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

Currently watching tsugumomo. Rewatched HXH old version couple weeks ago. :badass
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

Same as teggacat, Kenshin OVA tsuioku-hen just the other day on blu-ray was excellent. I'm also re-watching the Kyoto Arc of RK and watching Peace Maker Kurogane, mostly because the PMK manga that "restarted" more than a year ago is so good now. I've also been watching some of the Leiji Matsumoto shows the Galaxy Railways and Yamato (old and new version). All of these shows still move me but then again i collect them so... :wink:
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I haven't watched much older anime for awhile, but many of the anime that have held up the best for me were the first anime I watched back in 1996. For about a six month period I was renting anime commercial tapes from a store that was a block from my house and watching them with my sister. She died of cancer after that, but I still have a fondness for many of those old titles. Hearing Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Ryo-Ohki, Macross Plus/Flashback/DYRL music gives me a very nostalgic feeling. The older Studio Ghibli movies are very rewatchable for me too. Gunbuster holds up well with the way time passes between the characters. Very poignant.

As far as the titles that don't hold up as well for me as before...those would probably be the anime with wackier comedic moments (more of an acquired taste) and some shoujo anime. I don't dislike them, but I don't like them as much as I first did - those would include shows like Saber Marionette J, Fushigi Yuugi, Haunted Junction, etc.

But the more anime you view, the more harshly everything gets judged.