So what new animes is everyone watching now days?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
churchlady

So what new animes is everyone watching now days?

Post by churchlady »

So its been a long long time. Whats everyone watching for anime now days?

I've been addicted to a anime series called Promised Neverland on Netflix

W
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Re: So what new animes is everyone watching now days?

Post by Starfighter »

Well right now the two anime’s I’m watching now are yashahime and boruto. I liked inuyasha and Naruto, these sequels shines an interesting light on what happened after the original
series ended.
Last edited by Starfighter on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by tarakatsuki »

Just Yashahime. I don't really watch anime, or tv period, but since I'm the biggest Inuyasha fan I know lol, I was super excited to hear about this. Still have mixed thoughts now that the first season of it is almost over though.
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by noildoof »

I've been watching Promised Neverland too, I've really liked it so far. I started the series knowing nothing about it, and uh... it was NOT at all what I expected, but in the best way possible.

I'm also watching Megazone 23, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while. I'm on part 3 now. I can definitely see why this series is so beloved by 80's anime fans. The animation is beautiful and the concept is really interesting and makes me wonder if The Matrix was a little bit inspired by it.

I also watched an ancient, really cursed hentai called "The Satisfaction" to check if an unknown cel I have came from it. Unfortunately, it was a match. It's legitimately one of the worst anime I've ever seen, and as a fan of cheap 80's OVAs I've seen a LOT of bad stuff.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I've heard a lot of bad things about the second season of Promised Neverland. I would recommend reading the manga. It was very good and something I looked forward to reading while it was still being released in Japan.
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by noildoof »

cutiebunny wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:30 pm I've heard a lot of bad things about the second season of Promised Neverland.
Just finished it today, and oof... that was some awful pacing. Early in the 2nd season there are some episodes where barely anything happens, and everything feels ridiculously rushed at the finale. And the ending episode... my goodness. I'd actually *prefer* it to be open-ended instead of getting - quite literally - a a series of still images hinting at what would've happened if they'd decided to continue the series.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

The manga ending was rushed and I felt was sort of a letdown too. I had hoped that the deal that Emma made regarding
the sacrifice of her memories to save the enslaved human population
would have been touched upon more but the ending felt rushed and very predictable.
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by noildoof »

Man, that's disappointing. Still, I've heard overall that people like the manga better than the anime, so I'll have to check it out.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

The only anime I finished from last season was Mushoku Tensei ("Jobless Reincarnation"). I never thought that my favorite web novel would get such a good anime adaption. I thought it would get a rushed novel adaption like just about all other novel anime adaptions. Mushoku Tensei has MASSIVE SPOILERS to it which would ruin your enjoyment if you know them. So I suggest everyone avoid any discussion of Mushoku Tensei because people are posting big spoilers all over the place, I can understand people not enjoying the sexual stuff in the story. That was always going to be a source of problems with viewers. The artwork quality was quite nice for the anime.

The first season was 11 episodes and the next season will start in July. Apparently they created a new studio just to animate the series so I guess they will animate quite a bit of the story. I hope they get to the really good scenes.

I watched most of Tatoeba Last Dungeon (funny), but I haven't quite finished it yet. I saw half of Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter (not great).
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

For new anime, I liked:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYbdQImkp4

The Great Pretender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjv_yFgHYc0

Akudama Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtBy-KHATR0

Pacific Rim - The Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ntlaDS9OIA

And, so far, I enjoyed the first episode of

Joran - The Princess of Snow and Blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJq2cWFkUDo

I recently got the 4K blu-ray of Akira, and it's as awesome looking as ever. Also, I purchased blu-rays of Demon City, Wicked City, and Crusher Joe... so, I'm in a nostalgic, rose-colored, anime is really pretty sort of mood.

And, I'm hyped for Discotek's May release of Arion. 8)
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by noildoof »

I have a long list of fairly obscure retro titles I've been meaning to watch, and slowing checking things off on the list. One thing I liked surprisingly more than I thought I would was Xanadu Dragonslayer Densetsu. It has a distinctive 80's anime scifi-fantasy aesthetic that I love so much. Ended up picking up a cel of Princess Riel that should hopefully arrive in a couple days.

It's kind of funny that for an anime called "Xanadu Dragonslayer Densetsu," there are no dragons nor any slaying of dragons. There is, however, a giant monster that looks suspiciously like a sea urchin - and at one point a character even says as much.
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

That's awesome. Congratulations on your new cel.

However, despite its NES/SNES-era JRPG aesthetic, it could not hope to overcome my ultimate disappointment that it wasn't an anime about the legend of Olivia Newton-John vs. Vermithrax. The title is a complete lie. :D

Have you seen Dragon's Heaven? It doesn't have any dragons in it, nor is it even sword and sorcery... but, it does have sand-blasted, post-apocalyptic mecha.
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by noildoof »

Yeah, I have seen Dragon's Heaven! The art style is really memorable, it's like if Moebius made an anime.

There are a few anime - like Dragon's Heaven and California Crisis - that use unique styles I've never really seen done in any other anime. I wish there were more titles with experimental art styles like that.