Where do your anime DVDs come from?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies

Where are you anime DVDs from?

Original Japanese releases
4%
Original US releases
54%
Hong Kong releases (stuff widely available on eBay)
29%
Fansubs on DVDs
No votes
Downloads
13%

Total votes: 24

Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Where do your anime DVDs come from?

Post by Pomidor »

I looked through this sub-forum and I fould an old poll asking what format you watch anime on (DVD, tape ect). And unsuprisingly something like 90% of voters chose DVD. So what I would like to ask is where do your DVDs come from. Please vote on the source that most of your collection is on.

Personally most of my collection come from Hong Kong and are bought through eBay or contacts from there. People call them bootlegs.. .but Im not too sure, so many are sold on eBay that I think if they trully were illegal copies something would have been done about it now. Either way it wouldnt realy bother me, they are much (MUCH) cheaper then original releases, they come out with Japanese DVD releases, so you dont have to wait ages until the DVDs appera in the US (because Japanese DVDs dont have english subtitles), you dont have to wait ages and ages and ages to dowload the series, and they havek nice and pretty cases (unlike fansubs) ^_^ I do have a few series in original Japanese edition but a great majority of my collection (spanning 65+ series) is on the HK DVDs.

Pomidor
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Yes, I buy those releases too.
I have tried buying the original releases once but they are just so darn expensive.
I remember seeing an original Trigun release once with the first 4 or 5 episodes for € 38,- (thats about $ 49,-)
...thats not something to be happy about :x

I also download a lot with Bittorrent :)
Herbert West
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Herbert West »

I watch Fansubs i downloaded from the net and if it's a series i really like i buy the official release(mostly us-releases, because german anime-dubs sucks most of the time), only if the dub is very good and the price is ok.
TauntingDestiny
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by TauntingDestiny »

I always buy the U.S. versions. I'm a sucker for
free stuff Included.

TD
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

I tend to go for the "bootlegs" too after buying a few European releases.... and the web downloads.
I like to tell myself that if I really find a series I really like, I'll buy a genuine release.
Unfortunately, as stated by my esteemed colleague from the Netherlands, those releases cost an arm and leg over here. :(
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Keys
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Keys »

Sorry, those HK releases that pack episodes onto disks and often have Chinese subtitles are indeed bootlegs. eBay has a huge bootleg problem and I think the anime companies just don't have the time and money to really shut them down. I also think eBay doesn't want to shut them down if they don't have to (not enough pressure) since they make so much money off of them. Also, most anime CDs on eBay are Ever Anime, Son May, or Archer Records bootlegs.

I usually buy the US version unless the Japanese version is the only one available for the forseeable future, has cool pack-ins, or is just a nicer release quality wise for a series I have to have.
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

I buy a mixture of Hong Kong and US release dvds. I'd say about half and half. Quite often I'll buy the Hong Kong release because the uS version is either not available (Hunter x Hunter) or it just plain sucks. :P

Like with Yugioh - it's not released in the US in its original, uncut format and I refuse to support 4Kids annihilation of it. No Japanese language release at ALL. :evil: They've *seriously* butchered it ("it" being the English language released here). I thought the old, OLD Pioneer Dragonball Z stuff was bad, but it pales in comparision to what 4Kids did to YGO.

Keys - you've purchased Japanese release DVDs .. do they ever come with English subtitles? :? I'm guessing its extremely unlikely, but if they did I'd definitely purchase the Japanese released DVD if they had English subs...

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

Three-fourths of my DVD collection are American releases, but as of late I'm discovering HK releases and fansubs. I've been downloading a lot of fansubs for IY, just because I can't wait for the US to catch up in this series. :D
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

Official US releases and fansubs...
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I used to buy only the US released stuff. I like the boxes they come in, and the subtitles are more correct and legible. But the prices are too expensive. :roll:

Nowadays, I've been buying the HK stuff on ebay. The quality is quite good, some are on par to the US released stuff, which I'm quite relieved for.

I feel bad about buying bootlegs and that the companies who put the show on air are losing money, but the US released stuff is just too expensive for me. :l
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Keys wrote:Sorry, those HK releases that pack episodes onto disks and often have Chinese subtitles are indeed bootlegs. eBay has a huge bootleg problem and I think the anime companies just don't have the time and money to really shut them down. I also think eBay doesn't want to shut them down if they don't have to (not enough pressure) since they make so much money off of them. Also, most anime CDs on eBay are Ever Anime, Son May, or Archer Records bootlegs.
Youre right about them being bootlegs, and I think you are spot on with eBay "not wanting" to do anything about it. If you notice DVDs are their biggest turnover catgory, most auctions ending/starting daily, and the anime section is probably one of the top reasons for that. I think its the same reason eBay sels so many hentai/abult merchendise (while being the owner of PayPal) when PayPal cuts off all contacts from any affiliates that sell similiar items (like Mandrake). Remember a few years back when there were some pro-nazi items on eBay, it took them about half a day to shut all those down and never let the apear again once it got to the media. But alas I hope they never get rid of the HK releases ^_^

I know it probably angers some, or even a lot of people, for me, or others, to take such a position, as it supposably "destroys the industry"... but nevertheless I wont change my position. Those DVDs are just too expensive, one original release DVD with 4 episodes of almost any series (under 32 episodes long) costs as much as the whole series on the HK release DVDs. So if I had to buy all my owned series on original DVDs I would have spent $5000+ easily. This coupled with the fact that a lot of series I buy Im unsure about, few turn out bad but when they do its not a problem because I didnt spend too much on them. Furthermore I think that me buying such DVDs has no inpact on the anime industry in Japan (because lets face it the US anime industry is just a marketing move to make more money, anime would continue being made is they sold to the US or not). Anime companies release their orinial Japanese DVD releases with the thought that they will be sold only in Japan (hence no subtitles ect) and Im sure they have little problem selling those (notice how rare and expensive some orinial DVDs are). Taking that train of though, HK DVDs only serve to help them, as they make anime, otherwise unobtainable to someone due to their price, popular and therefore give growth to a higher fan base hence greater sales in such merchandise as statues, figures, manga, books, plushies.. cels ect.

All in all Ill keep buying them, but I do buy (and plan on buying) original releases of series I really like.

(sorry for the long rant ^_^ )

Pomidor
Keys

Post by Keys »

S.Wolfie wrote:Keys - you've purchased Japanese release DVDs .. do they ever come with English subtitles? :? I'm guessing its extremely unlikely, but if they did I'd definitely purchase the Japanese released DVD if they had English subs...
There are some (more and more with coproductions) out there. My Ghibli DVDs all came with English subs. (When I bought them, it was unclear they were really coming out here... and I have some that still haven't come out here and I'm still unsure if they're going to.) I believe others like FLCL, Five Star Stories and more came with English subs. Really I would prefer the R1 if it exists though because usually it's less expensive, often the same quality, and often comes with more extras. Though, lately some of the limited edition pack-ins, especially the figures, on the R2s have been stellar.

I have some without subs too though.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Pomidor wrote:Furthermore I think that me buying such DVDs has no inpact on the anime industry in Japan (because lets face it the US anime industry is just a marketing move to make more money, anime would continue being made is they sold to the US or not). Anime companies release their orinial Japanese DVD releases with the thought that they will be sold only in Japan (hence no subtitles ect) and Im sure they have little problem selling those (notice how rare and expensive some orinial DVDs are). Taking that train of though, HK DVDs only serve to help them, as they make anime, otherwise unobtainable to someone due to their price, popular and therefore give growth to a higher fan base hence greater sales in such merchandise as statues, figures, manga, books, plushies.. cels ect.
Regardless of you not changing your position, there are some things I would like everyone else to think about. The US (and other foreign) anime industries are not just a marketing move. Producer/Director Yamaga Hiroyuki of GAINAX said at Fanime that often anime are very hit and miss. Many anime lose out and the few places that fund their production try to support a lot in order to come out a bit ahead. This means that often in bad economic times in Japan, people worry about anime suffering. The foreign markets are quire large and many of them are getting into also becoming sponsors. While many people were worried about these co-productions at first, I think a lot of foreign companies are getting the idea to just let things be with their money, and we're getting great anime as a result. Like everything, some good, some bad, always some oddness in transition. Furthermore, the licenses to foreign anime industries are no small change. Companies pay a lot for the licenses which is good for the base industry. Japanese companies are concerned with the bootlegs as they're not only flooding eBay, but Yahoo Japan too. Production IG even posted polls about what they could do to actually get people to buy their merchandise because they knew bootlegging was a problem.

It's amazing that people can afford cels but not DVDs. Watch for sales and boxsets on the R1 DVDs, they're quite nice and affordable. I really wish if people were going to pirate, at least they wouldn't let some bootlegger on eBay make the money and just do downloading instead.

On a side note, I'm really excited about some of the US licensed merchandise coming out. I can't wait to see what ADV Toys puts out for Azumanga Daioh and I'm really looking forward to Funimation's Fruits Basket merchandise and Kiddy Grade figures.
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

While we're on the subject I was curious about something. The HK dvds do say they're licensed (in HK) ... so aren't the companies making some profit off them? Didn't the HK companies actually pay for the anime when they first got the license, or am I totally off base?
Really I would prefer the R1 if it exists though because usually it's less expensive, often the same quality, and often comes with more extras.
I completely agree with this - but in the example I gave above I'm not about to shell out money for R1 Yugioh, which has been completely trashed to the point its painful to watch. Couple that with the fact there isn't an original language and uncut version available in R1, I feel absolutely no guilt over purchasing the HK release. :? When I first bought Inuyasha, it wasn't available in the states. The subs are so good (at least in the beginning ... in later eps it deteriorates) I have a hard time justifying to myself to spend the money on official releases. I'll probably eventually purchase the R1's from the time the subs go down in quality, but its going to take a long time for them to even hit the US market. :?
really wish if people were going to pirate, at least they wouldn't let some bootlegger on eBay make the money and just do downloading instead.
Well, my computer (that has internet access on at least) won't handle downloading anime episodes. It's about 6 years old, the harddrive is tiny and it just can't do it. Also I can't stand to sit in front of the computer for extended lengths of time to watch anime. Now if I could find a fansub distributor who had their stuff in a format that could play on a dvd I'd much rather buy from them, but I don't know of any. :?

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Most of my DVD anime is on region 1 DVD. The three bootlegs I got for various reasons. I got the Steel Angel Kurumi one back before the series was even fansubbed. My local Japanese rental store didn't have the last two Japanese tapes to rent and I wanted to know how the series ended.

I just bought a region free DVD player so hopefully I can buy those 6800 yen each Memories Off the 2nd 30 minute DVDs and watch them. It's weird how the two 30 minute Japanese DVDs will end up costing three times the DVD player itself. :l

Back in 1986 when I was thinking of buying a Japanese tape of "Macross: Do You Remember Love" it cost $135 (equivalent to $250 in 2004 money). Needless to say when I found out how much it cost I decided against buying it. US Commercial shorter length anime tapes in the late 1980's cost sometimes $45 (equivalent to $75 each at 2004 money rate) Recent anime out on region 1 DVD now seems cheap in comparison. :D

I have a laserdisc player so sometimes I am able to pick up old anime for cheap using that method.