Where do your anime DVDs come from?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies

Where are you anime DVDs from?

Original Japanese releases
4%
Original US releases
54%
Hong Kong releases (stuff widely available on eBay)
29%
Fansubs on DVDs
No votes
Downloads
13%

Total votes: 24

Keys
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Keys »

S.Wolfie wrote:While we're on the subject I was curious about something. The HK dvds do say they're licensed (in HK) ... so aren't the companies making some profit off them? Didn't the HK companies actually pay for the anime when they first got the license, or am I totally off base?
Many people claim that they're legitimate or licensed, but there are very few that are in actuality. That licensing bit is just more of their trickery. Heck, I've even seen some people duplicate CDs down to the Japanese tax stickers.

Here are a couple good pages listing known companies that really aren't legit:
http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~mwhi ... legfaq.htm
(sorry if they load slow)

You'll notice that there are some legitimate cheaper releases in R3 and R0, but there are many that aren't as well.
S.Wolfie wrote: I completely agree with this - but in the example I gave above I'm not about to shell out money for R1 Yugioh, which has been completely trashed to the point its painful to watch. Couple that with the fact there isn't an original language and uncut version available in R1, I feel absolutely no guilt over purchasing the HK release. :? When I first bought Inuyasha, it wasn't available in the states. The subs are so good (at least in the beginning ... in later eps it deteriorates) I have a hard time justifying to myself to spend the money on official releases. I'll probably eventually purchase the R1's from the time the subs go down in quality, but its going to take a long time for them to even hit the US market. :?
Your :? face next to it doesn't re-assure me :D. Personally, I'm saddened over Yu-Gi-Oh and anything that's done like that too. I just try to support the releases where they give you options, like with Card Captor Sakura and hope that they encourage legitimate releases.

As for Inuyasha, good quality or not, it's still paying money to crooks. :?
S.Wolfie wrote:Well, my computer (that has internet access on at least) won't handle downloading anime episodes. It's about 6 years old, the harddrive is tiny and it just can't do it. Also I can't stand to sit in front of the computer for extended lengths of time to watch anime. Now if I could find a fansub distributor who had their stuff in a format that could play on a dvd I'd much rather buy from them, but I don't know of any. :?
I do believe some are out there though I haven't done much research into it myself. Gotta spend some quality time with google. Of course, it depends on your DVD player (though I believe that in the past you mentioned that you could play VCDs).

...or, it might be a good excuse to buy yourself a new computer :D Just think of all the money going to a nice shiny machine for you and not some bootleggers.

All in all, I hope I'm not coming off judgemental, I just want people to be informed. :)
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

Actually I do have a new computer, but it's not accepting the wireless network system we have in the house ... so I'm forced to use the ancient computer to do any kind of internet stuff.

I find it odd that the HK stuff can claim to be licensed, when it might not be. I understand that if it is, in fact, a legit license it would be for HK and not America ... but at least there would be some exchange of money to the creators.

The " :? " face is mostly because I honestly find the price of DVDs to be distasteful overall. It's easy to say that we're spending money on cels so why not "legit" copies of anime, but when you look at the price of (for example) Fushigi Yugi and it's 156.98 at Roberts Anime Corner Store ... look at the price of other DVDs - for example Star Trek season box sets. They're all under 100.00, and there is over 25 hours on them. I guess that's my biggest beef - the prices are actually a lot higher in comparison. :? If anime was a more reasonable price I'd probably be quicker to purchase the offical releases.

As an edit, I don't think you're being judgemental. :)

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
Keys

Post by Keys »

S.Wolfie wrote:I find it odd that the HK stuff can claim to be licensed, when it might not be. I understand that if it is, in fact, a legit license it would be for HK and not America ... but at least there would be some exchange of money to the creators.
These are illegitimate pirating companies. A legitimate HK company wouldn't do that. Read The Pirate Anime FAQ. (I urge everyone! It's great information!) It's scary some of the things in there that these companies might also do. Lack of money for enforcement is really the problem that 'allows' them to do this.
S.Wolfie wrote:The " :? " face is mostly because I honestly find the price of DVDs to be distasteful overall. It's easy to say that we're spending money on cels so why not "legit" copies of anime, but when you look at the price of (for example) Fushigi Yugi and it's 156.98 at Roberts Anime Corner Store ... look at the price of other DVDs - for example Star Trek season box sets. They're all under 100.00, and there is over 25 hours on them. I guess that's my biggest beef - the prices are actually a lot higher in comparison. :? If anime was a more reasonable price I'd probably be quicker to purchase the offical releases.
Star Trek and others have the luxury of a bigger market still, supply and demand. Probably the giants creating them also have a lot more sway when it comes to getting the DVDs to print as well because of the size. I don't know the details of the licensing costs with the anime companies, but it could be partially due to the demands of the licensors.

A four episode anime DVD is about the length of a movie here. Movies here tend to be about $20 or more on DVD as well. It just seems like the TV series get the nice cheaper treatment here. I found it interesting that suddenly Fox was taking a second look at the Family Guy after the DVDs sold so well though.

Really, like Keropi, I find the prices to be getting better and better over the years. There are plenty of 4-5 episode discs that you can get for $20 or cheaper if you look around. Several years ago, it was 2 for a $30 tape that it was hard to find on sale. Heck, by watching the online sites and sales, I got all of Gasaraki (26 eps) for $30 :)
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Im glad this discussion took off ^_^
Keys wrote:I really wish if people were going to pirate, at least they wouldn't let some bootlegger on eBay make the money and just do downloading instead.
How is illegaly downloading a copy for the anime different from buying the HK release? Both hurt the industry and publishers in the same way, perhaps downloading is even worse because anyone can "make" these illegal copies downloadable to basically anyone alse with a computer. I have a good computer and a broadband connection.... but downloading say all of Inuyasha would still take me a good two weeks of non stop downloading, personally I dont find any anime owrth such trouble, and I find the $100 dollar price tag for the whole series on DVD with shiping a fari trade for such a bothersome downloading experiance.

You said that anime DVDs are getting cheaper, alright granted they might be, but I still think they are much to expensive. Inuyasha has 120 odd episodes out on the HK released, counting 4 episodes per US release, thats 30 DVDs, say $19.99 each.. thats $599.70 and that isnt the complete series yet o_O You could buy all of the episodes on HK DVDs for $100 and have $499 to buy a cel... I think that anwsers your question why people spend so much on cels and are unwilling to spend of original releases.

Anyway I suppose the anwser to this discussion is in many ways the same as to the question, is it allright to download music and not buy the CDs?

(TO S.Wolfie have a look at gingertoys2 seller on eBay, they have a site too I think. They make fansubs on DVDs if Im not mistaken)

Pomidor
Keys

Post by Keys »

Pomidor wrote:How is illegaly downloading a copy for the anime different from buying the HK release? Both hurt the industry and publishers in the same way, perhaps downloading is even worse because anyone can "make" these illegal copies downloadable to basically anyone alse with a computer. I have a good computer and a broadband connection.... but downloading say all of Inuyasha would still take me a good two weeks of non stop downloading, personally I dont find any anime owrth such trouble, and I find the $100 dollar price tag for the whole series on DVD with shiping a fari trade for such a bothersome downloading experiance.
They're both wrong. I'm just saying that I would prefer not to see someone profitting off of it if people are going to go the complete pirating route.
Pomidor wrote:You said that anime DVDs are getting cheaper, alright granted they might be, but I still think they are much to expensive. Inuyasha has 120 odd episodes out on the HK released, counting 4 episodes per US release, thats 30 DVDs, say $19.99 each.. thats $599.70 and that isnt the complete series yet o_O You could buy all of the episodes on HK DVDs for $100 and have $499 to buy a cel... I think that anwsers your question why people spend so much on cels and are unwilling to spend of original releases.
My statement was in reference to the people who complain that they don't have the money to buy legit copies... yet somehow they have the money to buy cels. I suppose I just dislike that kind of statement because it's inaccurate. More accurate is "I refuse to pay the price for the licensed copies and rather spend a little money on cheaper bootlegs and other merchandise." It's not the matter of not having the money at all, which I feel the statements often imply.
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

I will say it loudly and proudly:

I REFUSE TO PAY THE PRICE FOR THE LICENSED COPIES! I RATHER SPEND LITTLE MONEY OF CHEAPER BOOTLEDS AND USE THE REST OF MY MONEY ON OTHER MERCHANDISE!

/heh

Pomidor
Keys

Post by Keys »

I can just see you screaming it from the mountain cliffs now. Thanks for the giggles. :)

I've always been fond of the saying 'Yo ho ho, a pirate's life for me.'
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

Ahhh... I see what you mean now too Keys. I'm of the mindset of not wanting to pay the price for some US release stuff. ^_^;;

*However* ... a lot of times I'll buy the HK release to see if I'll even like the series. If I enjoy it, quite often I will go out and purchase the R1 dvds because most of the time the subtitles are pretty bad. ~.~; I really do prefer to support legit sales for most series. The only one I've flatly refused to purchase is YGO ... well, and Pokemon. Now, if they'd release it uncut and in Japanese I would be ALL over buying them. But it's not going to happen. :? *sighs and kicks 4Kids*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I do not watch in english
I do not care about all of the extras that are included in the R1 versions

I do not want to pay for things that I do not want.

I prefer to buy a copy that meets the description of what I desire and I do not know how to check on the accuracy of what is printed on the DVD sets that I purchases claiming to be licensed, so I will take their word for it for now. I really like the new FX releases. Great cases, American quality subs, great picture quality. 8)
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wolfette »

glorff wrote:I do not watch in english
I do not care about all of the extras that are included in the R1 versions

I do not want to pay for things that I do not want.
Another thing I agree with - I literally never watch anime in English. Some of the extras are nice, but it's not too often that I find them to be of much value. One of the extras I like would be some of the historical information on Kenshin and background information on the Saiyuki dvds. But I could care less about clean OP/ED, seeing "production sketches" (which are generally settei) and *especially* have no interest in previews for other anime.
I really like the new FX releases. Great cases, American quality subs, great picture quality. 8)
I'm pretty interested in the Kenshin set they've got available. I only have like 5 or 6 of the R1 dvds (borrowed most of the rest of the series from Emily), and have been dragging my heels to buy the rest. :? Probably the only way I'd buy the rest as R1 would be to find someone selling used ones on ebay :P Which is how I've gotten quite a few of my R1 .. ^_^; But if it's anything like WK that you showed a couple weeks ago, the quality would be awesome. :D
Pomidor wrote:(TO S.Wolfie have a look at gingertoys2 seller on eBay, they have a site too I think. They make fansubs on DVDs if Im not mistaken)
Forgot to thank you for this tip earlier. I'll definitely check them out. 8)

birdie
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by birdie »

I've bought HK and fan subbed but I do try to replace them with legit R1 copies when I can find them - some stuff isn't licenced yet :P . I too have a region free DVD player, but is buying pre-owned R2 DVDs really supporting the licenced companies? :?

There are some places to buy cheap R1 DVD's on the net, and sometimes they offer discounts to frequent buyers. :)
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Like S.Wolfie and glroff I never watch anime in english, and 90% of the time I dont need subtitles either, and when I turn on the, albeit be it sometimes poor, subs of the HK releases they are still good enought for me to understand everything, and if Im in doubt I can always pick up my dictionary. So I dont "need" the extras of the original releases, or to put it another way I find the price difference not worth these extras.
HOWEVER I still try to get US or Japanese releases for all the series I like because the video quality is better.

Pomidor
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

I have a mixture of hk and R1 dvd's. I usually buy hk's for series that are not out in the US yet, but now I'm thinking of just buying them all the time if I'm going to buy a whole series b/c they are sooo expensive in the US... Some of the new hk dvd's even have US dubbing (which most of the time I don't care for, but if I have already watched a whole series in English, like Tenchi, I would perfer it in English). Most of the time if I'm buying a movie or a dvd for a favorite episode, I will buy the R1 version.
How is illegaly downloading a copy for the anime different from buying the HK release?
I also have a rather large d/led collection, some of which took FOREVER to d/l even with a cable modem.... Lately though, I have been d/ling from http://animesuki.com/ which technically is legal b/c it is not licensed in the US, though I'm not sure how that works with Japanese Copyright Laws........ I'm burning Naruto to VCD so I can watch them on TV yay :D
If anime was a more reasonable price I'd probably be quicker to purchase the offical releases.
Same here. If you walk into Media Play and look at their dvd's, they are usually around 15-20 for "normal" movies and shows while anime dvd's usually start around $24 and go up to $30 for ONE DVD! That's like paying $10 for 22-30 minutes of video. It really irks me that places can sell one genre of film for much more than other genres.

For example: X TV, if you buy it ON SALE is like $28. So to but the whole series is $224 plus NY's 8.25% tax. If I can buy the series for 80% less, I'm willing to sacrifice watching it in english and I'm willing to break the law.[/quote]
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

For example: X TV, if you buy it ON SALE is like $28. So to but the whole series is $224 plus NY's 8.25% tax. If I can buy the series for 80% less, I'm willing to sacrifice watching it in english and I'm willing to break the law.
Sorry this is a little off topic but if you say that you would have to pay $224 plus 8.25%, which is a total of $241.92, then you would pay less then 20% for the HK releases. Actually I just bought X TV from eBay as a HK releases for $24 plus $10 experss mail, which is 14% of the R1 price for you, and you would definately pay less then me for shipping. Oh and the X TV HK releases seem to be direct rips from the R1 disks, as they have Japanese and English audio and English subs only, so you wouldnt even have to give up watching in English if thats what tickles your fancy.

I am the official advocate for HK releases... and proud of it ^_^

Pomdior
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

then you would pay less then 20% for the HK releases.
that's what i ment. 80% less is 20% of the original price
I got it when it first came out and it cost me like $40 inc. shipping
lol I don't care for the english dubbing in X at all... blah. love the japanese