Could anyone recommend some new anime/manga series?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
kenshikenji
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kenshikenji »

your definition on shoujo is to fine. i thought shoujo is "girly" anime or manga. meaning the story revolves primarily around some type of romantic situation whether it be a love triangle or some other polyhedron
Linwe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Linwe »

kittens wrote:I would say they are labeled by which magazine they run in.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking was probably the case. So it would really be the magazine people saying what's shounen by deciding what to run. What I mean is that by rejecting a certain manga as not right for their magazine because it's too girly, or whatever, that manga might then be picked up by the shoujo magazine and the manga would be labeled shoujo, when really it could be something in between (as some titles are). It's not by the author's gender cos I just realized that Rumiko Takahashi is female and her one (if not all) manga is shounen. I think I read somewhere that she was the first female to win an award for a shounen manga.

Yes, I think too much. X| Sorry. :hurt: Oh and I guess this was :topic
British, you see, useless. I cannot get the equipment.
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

There are some shows that appeal to both boys and girls... do they get labeled one or the other based on the author's gender? Which magazine they run in? The main character's gender? Number of panty shots? Number of shirtless guys?
Well, Rumiko Takahashi *only* writes shounen. There are actually interviews where she makes a point of saying so. So yeah, Inu Yasha, even though it has a romantic plot line (and Maison Ikkoku even more so, I think) is considered shounen. So author's gender is out. ;-)

But really, there are a growing number of shows that are considered "crossovers"-- neither shounen nor shoujo. Look at Escaflowne, for example. The show was made before any manga, and when the manga did come out, there were two of them- one shounen, and one shoujo.

The magazine theory is a good one, and the one I hear most often. Panty shots can be variable, though. The original series of Sailor Moon had a number of them, and I don't think anyone could argue that was shounen!

kenshinkenji suggests that anything romantic is shoujo. So, then, X is shounen, because clearly it is about the end of the world. Goldenboy, about one man's pursuit of love, is shoujo. Weiss Kreuz is shounen, because it's about killing things, with no solid romantic story. Need I go on?
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I'm into a new manga called 'The Wallflower' by Tomoko Hayakawa. I find it hilarious not in the slap- stick humor kind of way, but in a refreshing sense. To me, the story is new and definately worth the read!

The synopsis: 4 gorgeous high school guys are invited to stay at a posh boarding house FREE on one condition, that they turn the land lady's niece into a lady. Sunako is also a girl from their school, and they figure, how hard could it be? It turns out she's a morbid recluse, who spends her time watching horror flicks, avoids light and people, has no fashion sense, and is quite scary! (Think the Grudge and The Ring).

Those poor guys try all they can to get Sunako to be more socialable all the while fending off all the girls, and guys, who are so enamoured of them.

Definately worth it! :D
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

'The Wallflower' by Tomoko Hayakawa
I *so* gotta go find that.

I can get it in English...Right? x_x
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

definately! I got mine at Barnes at Noble. :) amazon.com has both copies out. #3 is being advertised now and I want it bad! X|
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
naria
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by naria »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was at B & N and looked at the volume one for Wallflower and it's really good. Funny, too. Anyone know how many volumes it is? I'm going to be checking out all of the others that have been recommended. Thanks again! :D
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

Not a clue how long 'WF' is, but definately not as long as Inu Yasha! 8O

I'm thinking maybe 5-7. If you noticed, each book cover has one gorgeous guy on it. Since there are FOUR guys, there has to be at least four books. Maybe Sunako as a 'lady' will be a possible 5th. My guesses anyway....

Cel Gallery
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Linwe wrote:does anyone know what exactly makes a series shoujo or shounen?
It depending on what media it came out on, it depends on what the primary target audience of that media was. So if the story was based off a manga published in a shoujo publication then its shoujo. If it was published in a shounen publication then it's shounen. For example "Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar" came out in a shounen publication so it's a shounen anime.

Since nearly all ren'ai (romantic love) games are targeting a primarily male audience. The anime based off those games are considered shounen anime.

Examples of shounen romance anime include (ones based off games and ones that aren't):

Ah My Goddess
Air TV series and Movie
Ashita no Yukinojou 1 and 2
Boy's Be
Canvas
Comic Party and Comic Party Revolution
Da Capo
Debut
Doukyuusei 1, Climax Files and 2
Dousoukai 1 and Dousoukai Again
First Kiss Story
Flutter of Birds 1 and 2
Green Green TV and OVA
Kakyuusei TV and Elf OVA
Kakyuusei 2
Kanon
Kimagure Orange Road
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Kita e ~ Diamond Dust Drops
Love Hina
Memories Off 1st, 2nd and 3.5 OVAs
Miyuki
Mizuiro OVA 1st and 2nd OVA
My Dear Marie
Natsuiro no Sunadokei
One 1st and 2nd OVA
Pia Carrot 1, 2, 2 DX
Refrain Blue
Sentimental Journey
Sister Princess RePure
Suika
Tenkousei
To Heart
Tokimeki Memorial
True Love Story
Video Girl Ai
Wind a Breath of Heart

The following are anime that were based off games targeting a primarily female audience so these anime would be considered shoujo anime:

Angelique
Graduation M
Harukanaru Tokino Naka De
Meine Liebe

Shounen romance anime are completely different from shoujo romance anime. They feel completely different from each other to me, but that's probably because I watch so much of them. I mean it's usually fairly easy to tell just from seeing which gender is talking about the show the most on anime message boards.

You also can take a guess based off of which gender is getting the fanservice.

A Japanese 15 year old girl used to post at the message board that I'm at. She said that she wasn't sure if American anime fans would be watching very much of Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien due to it being a romance anime. However if you went to the popular anime message boards you could see that the guys were the only ones talking about the show. We told her that we didn't think that would be a problem. :emb