New music of Dragon Ball Z

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies

Do you like the new "dubbed" music for Dragon Ball Z?

Yes Love it
33%
It ruins the show
No votes
Don't really care
11%
I like both original & new
56%

Total votes: 9

Nathan
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

New music of Dragon Ball Z

Post by Nathan »

I have read so many people say that they hate the new music- and that it ruins the anime.
Hmmm - I like the music personally. I cannot relate to the original music - it sounds too well - foreign in the sense of time. It just sounds dated to me. I don't hate it - some of the music is good. but generally speaking I much prefer the new.

Although even then some of the music used when Gohan turned SSJ2 (when he was flying around destroying the mini-cells) was blech.

I bring this up because the Majin Buu saga has had some great music - espcially when Mystic Gohan arrives!
...just one more
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

I was going to vote that I liked both, but I thought about how dramatic the music was in those last few eps and decided that it's superior - less raucous. And they've retained some of the old music too. I mean they better keep Vegeta's theme - it's so appropriate.

When "mystic" Gohan punches or blocks Buu, that THOOM is like a far-off explosion - VERY effective in portraying the power.

I've been watching a lot of the Japanese eps and I'm getting used to the music, but it's all the same. Every scene seems to have the same exact music, appropriate or not. I realize the eps are old, but it's just plain corny. Sorry, all you purists! As you can see, I have strong opinions on the subject of music, and they're that - just my opinion. :D
Vicci

Grand Reopening of Momma's Addiction Rubberslug Gallery!
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

Heh, I can't even answer this one. I haven't seen any DBZ dubbed episodes since Mirai Trunks appeared, and highly doubt if I will ever watch any new ones. I *HATE* the voices for about 80% of the characters. :shrug Like momma said, I'm strong in my opinions ;) Plus I'm a purist at heart. I like seeing anime as it was originally created, and I love the Japanese voice actors (seiyuu).

Sheri

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
mightymask
Senpai - Elder

Post by mightymask »

All I have to say is...
CHA LA!
HEAD CH LA!!
Maybe if they got Metallica to sing that song! Resistance to Head cha la song is futile.
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

Someone tell me what that means: head cha la

It's one of those tunes that get stuck in your head!
Vicci

Grand Reopening of Momma's Addiction Rubberslug Gallery!
BleedingOrange
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: I am everywhere and yet, nowhere... all at the same time. Whoa.

Post by BleedingOrange »

This is my strongest concern for the show... but I do love the new music much more compared to the original. The original music does seem "VERY" dated, but the new stuff is pretty good. Every now and then I find an event where I don't like the dub music. For example, when Goku first goes SSJ3 and they pan up, over and then his head moves quickly towards Majin Buu and Babidi... the original had a dramatic rise in the music there. In the dub, nothing happens.

I like both for different reasons, but I prefer the new dub music because of how old the original sounds when watching the anime.

As for the intro music. I REALLY wish Funi would have stuck with Chala Head Chala and We Got Power. The new music is SOOOO Stupid and out of place when watching the opening sequence on video. I love all the Dragonball opening themes. Chala Head Chala is the best... and We Got Power is got a good tune. I find Dan Dan (GT Theme) to be really catchy too! :)

I've never heard the ORIGINAL Dragonball series theme. Wish I had because I bet it's good.

That's my 2 cents! :bubbles
Golden Dragon
Senpai - Elder

Post by Golden Dragon »

I like both versions of the music, too. The Japanese music shows off certain key sections that the english versions might not realize are supposed to be there to build up tension. But I do like the english version better, because it is updated. I loved Dream Theater in the Trunks Movie, the music fit so perfectly. The Rock to Dragon song, yes it is simple and has nothing to do with the show but it is a fun song and kids will catch on to it here. The Cha La Head Cha La song is an awesome song and fits with the story, but the really question is how does it sound in English? On the English version they can't play the Japanese theme in Japanese. The children won't understand it and may not be able to read it fast enough. Beside do you think that the children of today want to read in the first place. Anyway, To get the US children interest they chose a simple but catchy theme. I played a bunch of episodes in a row (like all of Freizer saga) while I was working and went to sleep and was dreaming of Rock the Dragon, and believe me it gets stuck in you head and won't go away.
I guess that is my 2 cents. :D
Kat

Thanks S17 for the great banner!!!!

I will smite you with my Blade of Honor! - Guan Yu
Kane
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by Kane »

I like both, but I prefer the original.
ImageImage
Deadly Whispers
Wamphyri

Post by Deadly Whispers »

LOL, thanks a lot you guys. "Dan dan kokoro hikareteku . . . "

I chose the new music. Although I do love to watch any anime in its original form, it took me forEVER to get used to the happy gameshow background music during a crisis. :puzzled I love the dubbed DBZ themes, always much more fitting to me (culturally, I guess).

Must turn on radio before I start singing that out loud . . . :wink:
saiyan*queen*vega
Kishin - Fierce God

HMMMMMmmmmm

Post by saiyan*queen*vega »

The show's music isn't what really got into MY head...
Like an idiot I bought all the Japanese DBZ CDs I could find.
*enter songs like Krillin's mambo or Vegeta's cooking hell* :lol:
Those will be in your head for weeks!!! But you guys are right about Cha-La too.... it really sticks with you....
THAT is what makes something a great song! If it sticks with you!!!

What about the dub MOVIES music though!!? 8O scarry
"I'm bored, I think I'll get a tattoo...."
Do YOU love DBZ enough to get it tattooed 10 times on your body? I do....