<400
No votes
>400 but <500
5%

Total votes: 42

weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

I have no idea how much I've seen. ^^; A lot?

I tend to do three-day-long binges with friends where we go through anywhere from three to seven titles. Sometimes we finish a series or OVA, somethimes we watch only a few episodes. ^^; And I have about 70 CDs of anime, a bunch of DVDs and tapes... not to mention what I've seen in clubs at school and random people's rooms and stuff....

I've seen a bunch of older stuff as well as newer stuff- I'm actually not a big fan of most of the stuff from the last couple anime seasons (unless it's CLAMP)(or Inu Yasha) (or FMA... okay, I'll stop >.>). But for the most part my favorites tend to be older. Sailor Moon, Escaflowne... going back to Kimagure Orange Road and some others.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
naria
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by naria »

Well, I've probably only seen a handful of titles. But, probably closer to 15 :P I definitely want to see more anime, but time and money are some constraints that I have. Plus, I still have to allow time for my video game addiction :^^:
EOC
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by EOC »

Keropi wrote:Have you seen a lot of "older" anime EOC? (let's say anime that came out before 1992).
Ya!, have you heard of Mazinger Z? It's like early 70's... '72 I think. There's an anime showing right now called Panda Z that is a parody of it. Mazinger Z is one of those mecha animes. Not a real fan of mecha stuff, but oh well.

The animation reminds me of like the ghetto transformers. Not like recent or semi-recent, I am talking about like the first episode ever. I guess on a totally far note you "could" say it looks like Thundercats type anime (meaning the drawing, not the category of the genre), but that is really pushing it. They had an OVA of Mazinger Z in like 2003 or something I think.

weyrlady wrote:I tend to do three-day-long binges with friends where we go through anywhere from three to seven titles.
I used to do that, but to me it kills the excitement of having to wait a week to see the next thing. However I almost watched Hikaru no Go all at once and wanted to kill myself after watching 60 episodes. The last thing I think I watched all at once was Kimagure Orange Road in like '88 and after that I said NEVER AGAIN! There's only one anime that I can really watch maybe 4 or 5 episodes at one time, meaning not even getting up to pee, and that would be Konjiki no Gash Bell!!. I think it's like Pokemon in a sense, but I dunno, I just enjoy the stupid comedy, mixed in with relationship building.
weyrlady wrote:I have about 70 CDs of anime
I have a little over 300 DVD-rs, 170+ CD-rs and whatever left over on my pc. It's starting to be a pain spending money to burn stuff. But then someone always wants to see it. =/
Keropi wrote:Then again I can't say I was a huge fan of the older anime animation style anyway so I didn't go out of my way to see them even when I could (like at AX).
I was thinking about going to AX, but really saw no point, I know stuff coming out in 2007. I mean I could go for the experience. Ya, I went in like '99 or something, but it was just stuff that I all ready knew, kinda bummed me out and made me not want to go to later ones. =/
Last edited by EOC on Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Your information gathering machine.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Best estimate would have to be around 250 titles. I've been watching for more than half my life. Haven't exactly kept up the pace lately, though. Mucho busy.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

EOC wrote:Ya!, have you heard of Mazinger Z? It's like early 70's... '72 I think.
I've heard of it. I don't know anything about it, but I've heard of it. :^^:
EOC wrote: There's an anime showing right now called Panda Z that is a parody of it. Mazinger Z is one of those mecha animes. Not a real fan of mecha stuff, but oh well.
I think out of all the anime genres besides yaoi, the genre I watch the least of is old school mecha/robot shows. I just don't have much interest in those anymore.

I rarely ever watch much anime in one day. Even seven episodes in one day is a lot to me. Watching too much from the same anime at the same time makes the anime feel pretty flat to me and I don't want that to happen. The last time I watched over seven episodes in one day was for One Piece (did it two or three times), but the last time before that was way, way back.
EOC wrote: I have a little over 300 DVD-rs, 170+ CD-rs and whatever left over on my pc. It's starting to be a pain spending money to burn stuff. But then someone always wants to see it. =/
I used to burn nearly everything, but it got to the point where I began to think: "How much of this stuff am I ever going to want to rewatch?". I mean am I ever going to be in the mood to rewatch something like Cinderella Boy when there's already so much new stuff airing now that I have no time for? So in the last month I've only burned 26 CD-Rs. Like you said. It does become expensive after awhile and there's no one around here that wants to watch it so why save too much?
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

EOC wrote: I used to do that, but to me it kills the excitement of having to wait a week to see the next thing. However I almost watched Hikaru no Go all at once and wanted to kill myself after watching 60 episodes. The last thing I think I watched all at once was Kimagure Orange Road in like '88 and after that I said NEVER AGAIN! There's only one anime that I can really watch maybe 4 or 5 episodes at one time, meaning not even getting up to pee, and that would be Konjiki no Gash Bell!!. I think it's like Pokemon in a sense, but I dunno, I just enjoy the stupid comedy, mixed in with relationship building.
Heh. I didn't mean that to sound quite so "OMHI'msohardcore!!!1" as it came out. I was just going over the different ways and places I've watched things. ^^;

I really enjoy the binges, though. They don't happen often (especially lately) but there's something really fun about immersing yourself in a show for an extended period and not worrying about the real world at all. And to do it with friends just makes it better. ^_^ And I sound like I'm talking about drugs. Whee!
EOC wrote: I have a little over 300 DVD-rs, 170+ CD-rs and whatever left over on my pc. It's starting to be a pain spending money to burn stuff. But then someone always wants to see it. =/
Wow. ^^; I suspect I would have more, but after a year or so I got tired of burning things (helped by the fact that my burner was old, slow, and only 1 out of 3 burns succeeded) so I ended up just deleting them off my hard drive right after I watched.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
EOC
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by EOC »

Keropi wrote:I used to burn nearly everything, but it got to the point where I began to think: "How much of this stuff am I ever going to want to rewatch?". So in the last month I've only burned 26 CD-Rs. Like you said. It does become expensive after awhile and there's no one around here that wants to watch it so why save too much?
Well to me someone weither they are online or whatever always wants anime. I mean for some reason even with dsl people don't download things. I have a friend who has cable, but whines to me about burning Naruto for her.
Well I don't burn stuff off my pc unless the series is done or over 50. Like all of FMA is still sitting on my pc waiting until it's done. I burn mainly in sperts.
Well I get CD-rs for free (verbatim/memorex), but then again they are like floppy discs to me. Put on something that is 1 MB then throw them away.
weyrlady wrote:I suspect I would have more, but after a year or so I got tired of burning things (helped by the fact that my burner was old, slow, and only 1 out of 3 burns succeeded) so I ended up just deleting them off my hard drive right after I watched.
Ya, I have been downloading for little less than a yr and I am almost up to 3 TB. I have been downloading less lately, just because I have now become picky in what I watch. However if the first episode is good, I will probably download it.
Your information gathering machine.
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

I've seen over 50 but under 100...
I also burn all my anime to disk... I think i have over 100 cd's now.
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Yikes.

I could dig out my (color-coded) database and look... have to have one because of how scattered episodes get on the , um, let's see, 1650 or so discs sitting here. of which I've watched about 400 discs' worth. But I'm way too lazy.

Have to have the database and keep the discs because, now that he's done with his degree, the spouzal unit has caught the disease.

I have watched a lot of older shows and really like most of them -- I wasn't intending to, but one year at Anime Expo I killed a couple of hours before the return flight by watching Char's Counterattack. It suckered me in to Gundam. And of course you can't just pick up Gundam somewhere in the middle without losing lots of the backstory...

I might possibly be the only person alive who has only seen a couple of episodes of Dragonball Z. I've suffered through gobs of Pokemon and Sailor Moon in their English translation with my girls but I just can't handle the voices -- could they possibly have found WORSE voice actors for Sailor Moon?

Anyway, to get back to the point; some day I will have watched most of what I've got. But since I'm already old and gray it may have to wait until I''m old, gray, and retired!! :wink:
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

You make it seem like old and grey is a bad thing :wink:
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

seen about 12 to 13. only tend to watch what i like. true i'll watch some animes from time to time that i dont like but there are only certain ones that i'll actually watch and then watch over again.
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

Elfstalker wrote:Way under 100 titles for me. I invest too much emotional and psychological energy into each new show and it takes awhile for me to digest and be ready for a new flavor. :wink:
What she said.
TauntingDestiny
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by TauntingDestiny »

Not sure how many I've seen but I can tell you I own between 400 to 425 Anime dvd's. I also have around 200 cdr's filled with stuff I downloaded from animesuki.

TD
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

After thinking about this for awhile, I think I finally compiled enough data to able to answer the question properly. The original poster didn't want uncompleted anime included in the "How many anime titles have you seen?" count.

I don't have my 2002 anime calendar handy, but I've compiled an estimate of what I had seen as of August 25th, 2004. These are the category descriptions used by MyAnimeList and are not always accurate (DVD omakes are frequently called OVAs, long DVD specials are in the Movie category, etc):

Anime titles I had COMPLETED as of Aug 25th, 2004:

74 TV series, 221 OVAs, 83 Movies and 17 Specials

But there are 54 OVA, 1 Special, 1 Movie I seen that I'm not sure if I completed before Aug 25th, 2004. I know I completed many of them by that date, but I'm not sure when I did it. I believe I completed at least 35-40% of them by Aug 25th, 2004, but being conservative let's say I only completed 30% of them by that date. That would add 16 OVA to the above figure. That brings the estimated total to:

74 TV series, 237 OVAs, 83 Movies and 17 Specials

My work is done now...until I find that 2002 calendar! Then I can create more accurate numbers. :)

EDIT:

I looked up the selling dates of all the anime I didn't have a completion date for. I looked them up on Anime News Network which has much more accurate dates than MAL. I was able to eliminate a lot of questionable titles just from that although the last episode date had to be released/air at least a month and a half after Aug 25th, 2004 for the date to be eliminated for sure because I've seen several anime come at least two weeks before their "official" selling date.
Last edited by Keropi on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

Um...probably under 100 but over 40... I actually don't want to think about how many hours of my life I've wasted watching anime. :( :D