No votes
>400 but <500
5%

Total votes: 42

EOC
Otaku - Fanatic

greater than 500?

Post by EOC »

Judging by what is discussed on this forum (anime, personal views); I would like to say that most of the members here are fairly new the the anime scene. Meaning only been watching for 5 years or less; or mainly started when Dragonball Z came to the states. I was just curious how many different titles have you watched in your anime experience?
I saw this poll on rubberslug, but it seemed very broad and like stopped at 200 or so.

I have seen close to 460; and have to admit as much as anime is cool and crisp now, it was cheesy and better back in the day.

Anyway, if this post was all ready made just let me know, or delete it or lock it, whatever you guys do.
Your information gathering machine.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

How much of it would I have to see for it to count as seeing it? :^^:

I've seen a number of anime, but I haven't seen that many all the way through. I don't have enough time to watch anime that doesn't interest me as much so I often I stop after only one to three episodes of watching something. Some anime I've watched just to see if I wanted to collect cels/sketches from it or not.

And what counts as a separate series? If an anime has separate OVA series do you count each one? Mizuiro and One had two separate OVAs (an adult OVA and a non-adult OVA).

If there are two or more TV series of it and they use different names for each one like Full Metal Panic or Maria-sama does each TV season count as a separate series? Would everything Tenchi Muyo be considered one series?

EDIT:

The easiest way for me to look them up is to use Best Anime's list:

http://www.bestanime.com/newAniData/list.php

Or maybe the Anime News Networks encyclopedia would be better:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php

Do you want to count each entry as a separate anime?
Last edited by Keropi on Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hanaeleh
Senpai - Elder

Post by hanaeleh »

I admit it- I'm a newbie. I've only seen about 10-15 different shows... essentially, I get turned onto a new show, then spend a bazillion dollars trying to get the DVD's to watch every single stinkin' episode or collect the darn cels. X|

It's a sickness... help me....
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

Cels for Sale!!
http://www.hanaeleh.com/cels/celgallery.html
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

hanaeleh wrote:I admit it- I'm a newbie. I've only seen about 10-15 different shows... essentially, I get turned onto a new show, then spend a bazillion dollars trying to get the DVD's to watch every single stinkin' episode or collect the darn cels. X|

It's a sickness... help me....
I don't need to type another word ---- hanaeleh and I are clones! :)
rayd
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rayd »

WooHoo :bounce , I made it past the first hurdle. Am i still a newbie or am i a neophyte now? Wait ... i think they are the same thing, whats the next step up? :shrug I wonder if Evangelion can count as two considering how many reissues its had. :P Hmmm, do i need the platinum zinc plated limited edition. And it may not be too long until i make it past the second hurdle, but that third is at least a decade away for me. :^^:
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

After doing some counting and estimating, I'd say by the loosest definition I've seen around 800-900.

If we're going by the strictest way of counting, then I'd say about 140. I only completed seventeen series longer than three episodes long in 2003 after all. X|

Do you keep track of all the anime you've seen EOC? I write the anime that I've seen on my calendar.
EOC
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by EOC »

Keropi wrote:After doing some counting and estimating, I'd say by the loosest definition I've seen around 800-900.
Eh? you have seen 800 to 900 different series'? That doesn't seem likely, no offense. Unless you're like 80.

Titles mean: 1 whole series = 1 title
1 whole OVA means 1 title.
* Not 1 episode of the series or 1 episode of the OVA.
Keropi wrote:Do you keep track of all the anime you've seen EOC?
I keep track with having a text doc. or MS doc. of a list and just run it through, that way seems to be the easiest, for me at least.
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Holy Cow, Keropi and EOC -- are you guys accountants or some other very precise record-keeping kinds of guys?? I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, let alone what I've watched over the last few years!! (I think we're back to the thread of me being old and losing my memory here! ;)) And I'm waaaaay too lazy to take the time to write that kind of thing down! You are both amazing with the stats.
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

Way under 100 titles for me. I invest too much emotional and psychological energy into each new show and it takes awhile for me to digest and be ready for a new flavor. :wink:
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

shellie wrote:Holy Cow, Keropi and EOC -- are you guys accountants or some other very precise record-keeping kinds of guys?? I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, let alone what I've watched over the last few years!! (I think we're back to the thread of me being old and losing my memory here! ;)) And I'm waaaaay too lazy to take the time to write that kind of thing down! You are both amazing with the stats.
I lost track a long time ago. I used to write down each title and the episode numbers for about two and a half years, but gave up after that. I used to save just about everything I seen so I could go by my anime list, but I haven't updated that for a long time either. I only write down what I seen on my calendar because I talk about them sometimes and for reference sake. In some cases it was helpful because it let me know how long I could have been collecting cels from certain shows before I finally decided to watch them. :(
EOC wrote:I keep track with having a text doc. or MS doc. of a list and just run it through, that way seems to be the easiest, for me at least.
I wish I did that. It would come in handy.
EOC
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by EOC »

shellie wrote:Holy Cow, Keropi and EOC -- are you guys accountants or some other very precise record-keeping kinds of guys??
I'm a math teacher, so ya I guess it comes in handy.
Keropi wrote:I lost track a long time ago. I used to write down each title and the episode for about two and a half years, but gave up after that. I only write down what I seen on my calendar because I talk about them sometimes and for reference sake.
I could never write down every single episode title. They have too many internet sites that have databases for that.
The only thing I ever burned to dvd that actually had the episode title next to it was Dragonball Z. Obvious reasons, every n00b always wants to know where certain sagas start.
Keropi wrote:I wish I did that. It would come in handy.
You should, then you can just press "cntrl f" to see if you have it or have seen it all ready. Those 2 keys come in handy a lot.

I meant I have seen about 460 series.... not epsiodes.
Last edited by EOC on Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I have right around 3000 episodes of anime on disks, but have not seen a tremenous amount that I do not have, so I guessed under 150.

I watch too much of this stuff 8O
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
EOC
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by EOC »

glorff wrote:I watch too much of this stuff
I know what you mean. Once you hit the 1 TB (1,000 GB) mark it's like what else is there to get. Then once you hit the 2 TB mark you start to hate anime. I have yet to get to the 3 TB mark... I really hope I don't. :(
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Have you seen a lot of "older" anime EOC? (let's say anime that came out before 1992)

I'm not that familiar with a lot of the "older" anime titles out there. They came out too early for me to see them fansubbed or rent the VHS tapes of from my local anime store. Then again I can't say I was a huge fan of the older anime animation style anyway so I didn't go out of my way to see them even when I could (like at AX).
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Call me a geek! I'm near the 200 mark. I saw my first anime in the 70s, scattered anime in the 80s and full force addiction in the 90s. Only saw DBZ recently and still haven't finished DBGT. No offense to the fans but if I'd have seen DBZ first, I wouldn't be an anime fan. Oh and did I mention I like that show? :D

The last time I attempted to write down all the anime I'd seen it was around 130. And I've seen several animes since then. But if we're talking completed animes, knock off at least 50. (Still haven't seen all of Kenshin.) Does the fact Inuyasha hasn't finished production count? :P
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!